1/6 HT figures you swore you wouldn't buy, but ended up owning.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark 47 in a way. Before the figure was up for PO, or even the movie in theatres, I wrote off the armour design/recolour. Now it’s probably my favourite.

I was also dead set against PO’ing the Mark VI DC and thought I’d wait for the VII. That didn’t work out at all...

Iron Man figures. Now they are all I own.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Iron Man figures. Now they are all I own.

Will quote myself, haha.

Originally I had some of the original diecast releases paired with star wars and some other marvel. I stopped collecting for about a year and since then HT has been killing the IM releases. And I've been hooked.

WM MK III. was not something I originally was going to buy, but I like it better than II and I. It took me forever to decide and it went on waitlist! I prefer paying by longer flex plan or get a cheaper figure, so I ended up using that budget getting CW Hawkeye instead. (It’s awesome BTW) Only to have WM Mk III came back a month later. Even though I know don’t really have budget for it, I still ended up buying it.

I said I wouldn't get Iron Monger but it was during the stage of my collecting when more often then not I would buy rather then let fly. Nowadays I have passed up a lot of figs in the past I probably would of got.

The only one's I can think off off hand are the Iron Man 3 version of War Machine mark 2, which I swore I wouldn't get since it wasn't in the movie... and Mark 47. But 47 only half counts because I only got the Power Pose version. I ended up getting the IM3 war machine on a good deal.

The short answer is BVS Wonder Woman. I didn't really care for the movie so thought ordering her was silly. That and the really low amount of articulation points. But then all the online fervor started about how delayed she was. I got really caught up in. Then her movie came out and it was shockingly good. I preordered her right away and became part of the hungry horde who was dying for her release. Then she came out and people were relieved that she was as possible as she was(even though she had some pretty obvious restrictions compared to other figures) and the final product photos were spectacular. Got her. She was good but not mindblowing. Don't regret getting her even though I feel the Justice League version looks cooler. Unless the final product of that is A HUGE leap forward, I'm satisfied.

The long answer is MOST of my Hot Toys collection. I started off just getting Reeve Superman, Keaton 89 Batman and my favorite MCU character, the first Captain America. Then I decided I had to have an Iron Man. Then Thor(from the dark world). My financial situation and a lower paying job kept me from going further than that and that's all I had for a few years. Then I got a much higher paying job summer of 2015. I celebrated by buying a Winter Soldier Black Widow on Ebay and an Stealth Cap/Steve Rogers 2 pack. Then I decided to flex pay age of ULtron Hulk and Hawkeye and it just kept snowballing from there until i'm 30 plus figures deep, close to 40 now I think.

Dr Strange and Boba Fett for me. Had a pretty strict Sith only for Star Wars rule that was broken for Fett. Marvel was trying to stick to Legends and like scale, then Insaw Dr Strange and that rule.... So far, I’m holding out on both rules but the Diecast Mk VI is tempting me, since the first one was my first Hot Toy.

I had originally planned to stick to the Marvel trio of Cap, Tony and Thor. Then a friend asked “where’s Widow?” Dozens upon dozens of brown shippers later...

Mk. 47 since I hated the design at first and wrote it off as a repaint of the 46. After seeing the movie and then photos of the HT it grew on me. It wasn't until I saw a good deal during Black Friday that I decided to pull the trigger.

Also WM Mk. III. At the time I was perfectly content with only having the Diecast WM Mk. I as my definitive War Machine...but after I saw the blogger photos of the Mk. III I caved as well.

Oh well, I don't regret any of those purchases! :yess:

Twelve of my Marvel figures. I got into Hot Toys with the mindset of only collecting the Predator 2.0 line. However the Iron Man mark 3 2.0 released and I promised myself I would only collect that one figure from the Marvel line. That promise didn't last very long lol.

When I first started my collection (ironman only) , I swore that I'll never buy one with the actor's headsculpts... I used to find it creepy.
But now half of my collection is displayed with the headsculpt and swore never to buy anymore ironmans...hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That's weird. The realistic actor's head sculpt is the reason I got into hot toys.

The heart breaker I had decided to pass on because of lack of screen time....then I saw it on sale so I ended up owning it.

GOTG Vol 1 Starlord, Bruce Banner, Vision, Darkworld Loki, Spiderman HC, in that order. Most of those my wife talked me into getting actually.

Spiderman the homemade outfit for me. I had pre-ordered the tech suit and figured that’s all I wanted. Once I got it and realized I could not put it in any dynamic poses I decided I wanted the homemade outfit as I heard I could put that in any pose. Love that figure and love all the poses I can do with him without having to worry about the suit. The most I’ve ever been able to move a hot toys figure.

Hard to think of everything in the last 12 years but i guess iron man mk1 2.0 is one. I already had the first version, but i love that armor design. Billy Sole, and the platoon figures may be right there too. They are nice but very outside what i normally collect.

That's weird. The realistic actor's head sculpt is the reason I got into hot toys.

The heart breaker I had decided to pass on because of lack of screen time....then I saw it on sale so I ended up owning it.
I didn't say they are bad, I said I used to find them to be creepy. But the earlier hottoys didn't have really good headsculpts though... Even the mark7 plastic headsculpt wasnt that good. Only the recent ones are amazing. But I used to find them to be creepy cos u have a tiny version of someone else in ur house and the paint app wasn't that good, looks like a dead tiny man hahaha... They get better but I wish they give more 'life' to the paint. But yeah now I only buy a HT for the amazing headsculpts.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I swore I would never get into Hot Toys at all because they were so expensive. Here I am, so many years later with a collection of 13 or so figures.

At first I had no intention of collecting 1/6 due to space and cost.

But other scales weren’t satisfying my hunger for quality and accuracy.

Then I had no intention of going outside Star Wars.

Over the years the bulk of what I’m into has shifted to superheroes as I find them more visually striking and fun; and broadly speaking generally better executed than SW at the moment, if we’re going to be sticklers, not to take away from some stellar (see what I did there?) SW releases.

Then I had no intention of getting multiple Iron Man armours; but the diecast V, VI and upcoming IV were all too damn impressive.

I guess you could say my taste and parameters have evolved over the years, but I’m pretty satisfied with where I’ve landed.

I also managed to figure out how my personal taste dictates curatorial rules for my collecting as I’ve been doing it long enough to know what I’m gonna like long term.

Will things change again? Perhaps but more slowly now that I’ve narrowed it down this much.

The biggest change is that I went from being primarily a nostalgia-driven collector to an aesthetics-driven one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the ones that I own. I was collecting PFs but they consume so much space, especially if you keep the packaging. Also, SS seems to be moving away from tailoring and more towards full sculpting, which isn't my preference. To me, the benefits of 1/6 figures, are that the actor/actress likenesses are much better than on a PF, the outfits are tailored, and they take up much less space. Plus you can change the pose and swap out more accessories. PFs have more limited display options.

I just started collecting HT this year, somehow already have 12 in my collection and another 12 on order.

Back