How to show off your Terminator/Alien collection.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what about facebox's setup - cost effective, movie accurate and bloody impressive. if i could i'd display my stuff in there and put a big acrylic lid over the whole scene.

You mean the one that takes up an entire room? Yeah for sure, its great. But how many of us actually have an entire room to spare.

it's not that big - and putting 3 figures in individual glass cases won't be that much smaller.

not really sure what you're after my friend. if you want something impressive, small and cost-effective you may as well be asking for the moon on a stick.

Finally someone else who used that analogy, everyone looks at me like i'm weird when I say it :D

ever watch "fist of fun" on bbc2? i think that's where i first heard it :lol
and yeah, i always get the weird look with that too. don't know why - it's a pretty self-explanatory analogy, right?

Yeah eighthsamurai. I'm not sure what this guy wants neither.

Anyways... This is how my setup kinda looks now (old pic), and I'm very proud of it. I still have the diorama, but I just don't have it set up right now. That's actually part of it sitting on the middle cabinet.
pic017.jpg

Guess DJDD will just have to build his own and "show us how it's done".:rolleyes:

that's a pretty nice setup there actually. i'd be more than happy with that. i'm actually after a custom made display cabinet myself. custom made means paying quite a bit more but i understand that. but to offset the cost i'm asking for a very simple design, finish and cheap materials. just can't find a damn carpenter around these parts. i am so sick of having figures boxed up - i need to let my babies out.

DJDD, i don't mean to poopoo your motivation, bud. i am genuinely interested to see what you come up with and i'll be interested in finding out if you do manage to get a suitable mix of cost, impressiveness and size. keep us posted.

and guys ... now would be a good time to drink your weak lemon drink. WELL GO ON!! DRINK IT!!!

grudsonroom.jpg

What makes a good set up to me is what is shown here. The pieces are not overcrowding each other and there is not a lot of the same $#%!, one awesome pred collectible and so on.

as much as i disagree with that filth above your avatar nick, this to me is a dream setup. if i had the room and the cash i'd want to do this, maybe in a home theatre room. the poster idea behind each collectible just makes it. i've always wanted to do a smaller postcard size version for my 1/6 stuff. kinda like mcfarlane used to do with their movie maniacs.

What makes a good set up to me is what is shown here. The pieces are not overcrowding each other and there is not a lot of the same $#%!, one awesome pred collectible and so on.
i haven't seen many collections on here that i wasn't at least a little impressed with.

Well, I consider my current setup to be temporary.
I don't own my own home yet, but as soon as I do, I'll make some recessed walls in order to display my stuff. I have never taken a class, but am pretty good with construction and crap. So, I'll probably make it myself.

Glass will be the largest expense in my experience.

Well, I consider my current setup to be temporary.
I don't own my own home yet, but as soon as I do, I'll make some recessed walls in order to display my stuff. I have never taken a class, but am pretty good with construction and crap. So, I'll probably make it myself.

Glass will be the largest expense in my experience.

wow! recessed walls would just be awesome - i can't wait to see that bud. and yeah, most of the high quotes i get are because of the glass. if i could do stuff like that, i'd want about an 18" high recess around the whole perimeter of one room at about eye level, with low heat strip lighting inside. it would be a great way to display 1/6 figures.

You know, it's really not as difficult as you might think.
Some 2x4's, sheets of wood, plaster, and a bit of measuring and your done. Oh, and glass.

I'm sure most people would be able to make it themselves. I think it's the fear of messing things up is what holds most people back from doing it themselves.

You know, it's really not as difficult as you might think.
Some 2x4's, sheets of wood, plaster, and a bit of measuring and your done. Oh, and glass.

I'm sure most people would be able to make it themselves. I think it's the fear of messing things up is what hold most people back from doing it themselves.

:rotfl:lol you're absolutely right! I'd be terrified. I've been wanting to take a course on this kind of stuff for a while though. So who knows...

I think the confusion comes in that we don't know exactly how much space you have to devote to your collection, how much money you want to spend, and what exactly you have to display. From some of your responses you obviously don't have an entire room for it, but is it a niche, a corner, a wall? What? Expense is relative. Are you displaying TMP-like stuff or are we talking SS-like stuff?

Its SS-level stuff.
But guys, I was talking more along the lines of lighting and theme. I mean yeah the setups can be good, the cabinets great. But do we have many examples of great lighting? What about steups that put the model into its environment a little?

Back