How to identify recast Sideshow ALIENS 1:1 Busts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
really need to know if the seller mentioned above is selling fakes?
I have recently purchased from him.
Can someone show me the base?

Well, if you bought one of these busts from this seller, all you have to do is show PayPal the differences between the real thing and the fake and they will refund you your money and the seller will have to pay to have it shipped back. Ta-Da! FREE fake Aliens bust!

Well, if you bought one of these busts from this seller, all you have to do is show PayPal the differences between the real thing and the fake and they will refund you your money and the seller will have to pay to have it shipped back. Ta-Da! FREE fake Aliens bust!

You won't get your refund until YOU show proof that the bust was shipped back. AND you had better put Signature Delivery on it, because the seller could claim he didn't receive it and you'll still get nothing.

Ta-Da! NO fake Aliens bust.

To get a paypal refund you will have to show proof from an independant expert or authority that it is a fake - don't expect any photos you take to prove a thing nor expect sideshow to vouch that your fake is not legit, they will not want to know about it since you didn't buy from them. Proving that in Australia is going to be tough.
And if you can't prove it is a fake...You pay for the return shipping or are stuck with a fake.

If it arrives as a fake I would break it and claim insurance. Much easier and quicker. Also they have listed 2 edition numbers 307 and 315 does anyone have theses numbers from the forum??

The seller also sold adamaged alien warrior bust in november.
Make sure item packed properly next time, received damaged item, partial refund. roxxyyblue ( 68) Nov-22-09 21:15
Reply by q031207 (Nov-30-09 22:09):
Sorry. I gave you refund at the first time, but you went back on your word

Alien Warrior SIDESHOW LIMITED 400 FREE SHIP TO WORLD (#300362489813)

I found this in the sellers feedback

Re: What's with all these recast Aliens 1:1 busts on ebay???

I do have to say thanks though to the original poster of this thread for at the very least posting these pics side by side and proving one is real. This particular casting is so precise, it has to be from the original molds. If someone made their own molds, there is some detail lost or some other anomaly.

Reading some of the responces on in this thread, some people would be better living in the past to go on witch hunts and burn people alive.... end of the day its YOUR money and you can spend it on what ever you like. This does not have to be justified to anyone on this forum, if someone wants to buy a recast its there choice and the opinions that it devalues a collection or makes you an untrust worthy person if placed in the same room as your other stuff .... well thats just f*ucking stupid . Some people that want only originals well thats your choice, but dont knock some one who wants to save himself money. Alot of people out there are not bothered about the art work box and the numbered felt on the bottom. to me is not important and we just want the bust / symbol of that movie in our collections.

Buy what you want / collect what you want. and if you dont like it tell some one who cares ! !

I have to agree, if someone is selling a recast and say its a recast, I have no problem with anyone selling it. It is a free country here in America and people can spend their money on whatever they want to as long as its legal. I do have to agree with others that if someone is trying to pass of a recast as the real thing, and charging a premium on top of that, then they should be held accountable as that is fraud.

This goes back to my post from a few days ago.

With all the variants SS makes, why don't they make one that is brown tinted? It would allow them to make more money off of their sculpt, and provide an option for people to legally obtain one for a normal price. I think it would stop the recasters right in their tracks.

It wouldn't stop the recasters unless Sideshow is willing to drop the very large price they ask for, which they won't.

Well those are good causes to be suspicious, it just seemed like people were just assuming it was fake based on the no box scenario and I figured I'd chime in with a personal story regarding that detail.

Considering even recasts sell for legit piece retail prices, I think anyone looking into buying it should really study over photos of the production piece as well as known recast images to spot the variations.

Granted, they may not be exact to shipped product, but here are the high resolution product images from Sideshow's site.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/2922_press01.jpg

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/2922_press02.jpg

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/2922_press03.jpg

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/2922_press04.jpg

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/2922_press05.jpg

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/2922_press06.jpg

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/2922_press07.jpg

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/2922_press08.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Very good info here. I do plan on buying one of these and do not want a recast.

Sideshow, go and do a 2nd chance or something or take the advice of a member on here and do one painted with brown highlights. I'd pay $3,000 for it on flex pay..

Last edited by a moderator:
Recasters can get a GREAT casting from an orginal piece, they don't need the molds.

That's the amazing thing about Taiwan and Chinese recasting...it's a real business over there and they can afford to sink alot of money into making great molds and using injection molding machines.

So, no...you're wrong about them having a mold.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be preferable if we could keep this thread focused on identifying recast product and check the opinions on recasting as a practice at the door, but as long as it stays civilized I'll leave it be if such commentary comes out now and again.

However, this is my FINAL warning, one more person mentions Hive business or the mess that happened in here and this thread is over.

I kinda skipped from page one to the end, so I don't know what that Hive thing is all about, but I have to say, having had to sell my bust for financial reasons, a recast as good as the ones I've seen on the first page would suit me just fine. As for the paint job, I can always make it look like the real thing myself.

You won't get your refund until YOU show proof that the bust was shipped back. AND you had better put Signature Delivery on it, because the seller could claim he didn't receive it and you'll still get nothing.

Ta-Da! NO fake Aliens bust.

If that's the case, that's just another reason to hate PayPal. If I am sent crap, I shouldn't have to pay to return it. Just another case of "Buyer Beware" I guess.

If that's the case, that's just another reason to hate PayPal. If I am sent crap, I shouldn't have to pay to return it. Just another case of "Buyer Beware" I guess.

Well, the problem is, they have to have restrictions on how you can apply for things because otherwise people will come up with ways to scam for money. It complicates matters but I'm sure people have abused past systems with less regulation so the current measures are in place to offer best protection for both buyer and seller. It's not fair for a buyer to pay shipping back if scammed, but it's also not fair if a seller does legitimate business and a buy trys to pull a con.

Here comes the biggest thing I was worried about with these recasts:

Actually numbered, but with no box.

This has got to be a fake one, right?

Just a quick chime in...

Ozzfan, I personally wouldnt touch any piece that doesnt have its original packing. In all my years of buying, I've only had 3 broken pieces and all were due to not having "original packing". I understand peoples space constraints on large boxes, but its often times the bigger pieces that absolutely NEED their boxes...

I'm out of here! You may now return to your regularly scheduled quarrelling...

Just a quick chime in...

Ozzfan, I personally wouldnt touch any piece that doesnt have its original packing. In all my years of buying, I've only had 3 broken pieces and all were due to not having "original packing". I understand peoples space constraints on large boxes, but its often times the bigger pieces that absolutely NEED their boxes...

I'm out of here! You may now return to your regularly scheduled quarrelling...

Excelent point. As large as my own collection is, the original boxes in my garage is almost just as large. I really wish someone would invent an interdimantional storage locker.

Last edited:
So do any of you have any other recast phhoto's that we can put next to the original of other items? I think it would be important to not only point out this Alien head but other items that you collectors know about so I can watch out for it when I grow my collection.

So do any of you have any other recast phhoto's that we can put next to the original of other items? I think it would be important to not only point out this Alien head but other items that you collectors know about so I can watch out for it when I grow my collection.

Are you talking just statues or model kits as well?

Are you talking just statues or model kits as well?

Statues mainly.. Other polystone items etc.

So I take it this is the first and only thread dedicated to fakes and we only have one person in this forum who owns a fake and is willing to post pics?

Last edited:
So I take it this is the first and only thread dedicated to fakes and we only have one person in this forum who owns a fake and is willing to post pics?

Considering the backlash and in-fighting his posting caused, I wouldn't blame anyone for not coming forth with examples.

Admittedly, he seemed to have a history that led to that backlash, so it's not like it was some random collector that thought he was getting a good deal and bought a recast.

There's been some other threads (a few on SF I remember) where people posted pictures of recasts they were suckered into, and I know I've gotten some good info on how to spot an Iron Man comiquette recast from here, useful stuff.

Back