How to create a realistic sweat on clothes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Island_view

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi all, not sure if someone has posted this before, I have been scrolling with past topics trying find an answer to create a swear look or damp look on clothes.

Apology in advance if this has already been posted.

You might experiment around with some scraps of fabric first though as you work on getting the look you want.

Generally I find if you want to distress clothing with paint effects it's a good idea to get the item wet first. When the clothing is dry the paint, varnish, etc. just sits on the fabric and looks fake, but if the fabric is wet it allows it to soak in... similarly it's not a bad idea to also dilute the paint or varnish you plan to use.

Polyurethane gloss or satin varnish from acrylic paint brands works. Easy to apply and washes out of your brushes.

Tea bags... wet the item first, sit the hot wet tea bag where you want the sweat stains. Most paints will look like fake sweat or fake weathering if not applied right.... if that makes any sense. After you tea bag it :lol seal it with a matt varnish so it does not rub off onto what clothes you may put on top. It will also give it the dried sweat appearance too which is more realistic looking. You can also water down some dye and brush it on and fade it in with water.

Just thought Id throw the ideas out there.

Tea bags... wet the item first, sit the hot wet tea bag where you want the sweat stains. Most paints will look like fake sweat or fake weathering if not applied right.... if that makes any sense. After you tea bag it :lol seal it with a matt varnish so it does not rub off onto what clothes you may put on top. It will also give it the dried sweat appearance too which is more realistic looking. You can also water down some dye and brush it on and fade it in with water.

Just thought Id throw the ideas out there.

I second this. I've tea dyed clothes before. It can give a very beautiful vintage/old/sweat effect depending on how you use it. Do test swatches.

I use Puerh or oolong for darker tones.

Back