How to choose what to let go

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a lot of good advice in here... weird :lol

I sometimes find lists helpful... don't know if you have a spreadsheet or database of all your items. But if you do (or can whip one up) it might be an easy and impersonal way to look at what you have and make less emotionally based/nostalgic decisions on what you want and don't want.

Also, I find that easier than scanning my collection or searching through storage bins for pieces I can let go of.

I've sold off a number of figures over the years and really only regretted one. And you now what later on I replaced it.

You may. But it is a good test as to whether you truly wanted it in the first place.

Plus, if you sell it on the same market that you buy it on, you should be able to break even (or at least close to even) on anything you buy back. For instance -- if you have a particular piece that was $100 when you bought it ... but sells for $200 on the aftermarket, you'll get $200 now, and have to spend about $200 if you want it back.

If it isn't worth $200 to buy it back, it wasn't worth keeping in lieu of $200.

SnakeDoc

I think that's the worst idea ever. We've seen how prices can inflate over a period of time. If you sell something and regret it down the line you may end up buying it back at double the price. Why go through that when you're unsure about whether or not you want to sell it. I say even if you have an inch or regret keep the figure and sell something you know you wont regret.

If you do end up selling, you will need to leave this place immediately; it won't be long before you start up collecting again. :gah: :wink1:

Agreed. This place is dangerous if you are trying to quit this hobby. Its like a recovering alcoholic trying to stay dry and hanging out with friends who love to drink. You're bound to relaps. If you decide to sell everything and give up the hobby stay away from here or you wont quit.

fortunately i learned early on this board that the hype of some figures is just that. i found myself buying figures & couldnt wait to make the post "out for delivery"....:lol, then unbox & set up for display & say........what the hell was i thinking? it certainly narrowed my focus. but i also learned that i can enjoy these figures & other pieces vicariously thru the show your shelves threads. & that costs zero......:lecture

if i could have just learned that lesson in or around 95' with all that sw hasbro crap.........:mad:

Its definitely wise to be careful of the hype effect of collecting... anymore I try and think to myself; is this worth $100 (or whatever) before making my decisions. Many don't seem worth the asking price when you really consider all that could be done with XXX amount of money.

for those about to quit...i salute you? :pray:

hartman01.jpg

"Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy ____ing walrus-looking piece of ____! Get the ____ off of my obstacle! Get the ____ down off of my obstacle! NOW! MOVE IT! Or I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Private Pyle, IF IT SHORT-DICKS EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO!"

:lol

this board is pure evil. Of that I have no doubt.

:lecture

Definitely! Its the bloody pics that cause all the harm!! Especially since HT have a habit of taking less impressive pics than the people here do! I would never have bought Blade or Wolverine had it not been for this board...

I love my collection and I never intend to part with it. That has never changed.

What I was saying is that this board is in no way a good thing if you are wanting to get out of this hobby.Or even just cut back. This board is the ultimate enabler. It does far more harm than good and has cost me time and money I will never get back.

Okay i see, so you meant this part:
This forum is a bane to anyone who lingers here...

But not this part:
...sell you stuff and move on with your life. You will be better for it.

Its not the bandwagon buying that gets me, I can pass on something everyone else has if I really don't want it. Like Batmans and Jokers and DX stuff and Marvel PFs or TMNT stuff etc. etc. etc. What gets me is seeing pics of things in hand that look so good that I start wanting it. Things I had never intended to buy until I see them in hand and how truly great the figure is. Then I start wanting it. The Godfather figure is a perfect example of that. I can easily pass on popular stuff, but it is harder for me to pass on a true masterpiece of toy design. I hate this place sometimes because of that. Its like crack. No matter how bad I want to quit I keep coming back for more.

Wait... what now? The DX Batman and Joker just "bandwagon" pieces and not 'true masterpieces of toy design'? :nono :panic:

Love this hobby. Love my collection. But this board is pure evil. Of that I have no doubt.

:lecture

I guess I gotta agree with this. Not only have I learned about figures that I wouldn't have known existed, and thus bought figures I wouldn't have, but I also waste colossal amounts of time clicking the "new posts" tab! :horror :lol

Do what you think feels right, go with your gut. I sold off 99% of my collection a couple years ago (all my figures, statues, p.f.'s, busts, etc.) and it felt good. I was always buying new stuff, 1 - 2 new pieces a week. It was so common, that when I got a new piece, it wasn't even that big a deal anymore.

Right now, I only have the HT Dark Knight figures, and am waiting to see how the LOTR maquette line turns out. Last piece I bought was the DX Joker last December. I still come to the forums, and it doesn't influence me to make new purchases. I can look at pictures of collectibles and admire them, and not feel the need to buy that item.

Think about it, especially before you sell some of your faves, you may regret it later on, and it may be very hard to re-acquire it.

I'm considering purging some of my collection and trying to follow the "emotional resonance rule", but I too am having a hard time figuring out what to get rid of. Some of the new figures look so cool that I can't even figure out which ones I have emotional resonance with because I've "fallen in love" with the design of the figure itself. For instance, I'm a big Rocky fan but I didn't like Rocky II much. I ended up buying the figure and just love the way it looks and can't part with it even though I can't say Rocky is a movie that really emotionally resonated with me like Indiana Jones, Lost, Star Wars, etc.

The only figures I've sold, have been the one's that I've bought and then quickly realized that they couldn't be posed properly. The HT Appleseed figures being an example.

Definitely! Its the bloody pics that cause all the harm!! Especially since HT have a habit of taking less impressive pics than the people here do! I would never have bought Blade or Wolverine had it not been for this board...
That's how I feel about Leonidas. I wasn't fussed on the intial pics, but when Lord Vicious and others unleashed their pics, I toppled like a game of Jenga.

Yeah I was on the fence about HT Wolvererine, then someone posted a good pic of him on a 1:6 scale motorcycle, and that set me over the top, I bought it right after that.

But honestly its like any interest/addiction, you can't really blame the boards, it's all about having discipline and self control. It's easy for us to all fall into hype or photos but we certainly can't blame something else.

I think that's the worst idea ever. We've seen how prices can inflate over a period of time. If you sell something and regret it down the line you may end up buying it back at double the price. Why go through that when you're unsure about whether or not you want to sell it. I say even if you have an inch or regret keep the figure and sell something you know you wont regret.

We're talking specifically about individuals that (1) want to pare down their collection, and (2) are unsure how to determine what they actually want, and what they've bought or kept for other reasons. So, the reason to go through that when your unsure is to ... [drumroll] ... pare down your collection, and determine what you actually want.

If you don't want to do either of those things -- it is a bad suggestion. If your highest priority is keeping the most stuff for the least cost ... also not the best way to do so. If you're actually looking to part with some stuff -- then part with it with the full knowledge that mistakes are correctable. You'll make some money in the meantime (and you can always use some of that money to buy back anything you shouldn't have parted with).

If you're willing to sell something, I think the likelihood that you'll have to buy it back is slim ... but, the fact that no decision to sell is absolutely final (i.e. you can always buy another one) can make the process of parting with items easier.

Its all about your priorities. If saving money is your priority ... then this isn't the hobby for you in the first place, and you should know it may cost more to buy back something you've sold. If paring your collection is your priority, then go forward knowing that you can buy anything on the aftermarket if it is important enough to you. Either way ... don't have regrets over toys. They're not that important.

SnakeDoc

Back