How to choose what to let go

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, there is absolutely nothing wrong in having this hobby. Having a hobby is actually healthy as it gives joy and satisfaction. But like everything, if its in moderation, its ok, but if it gets out of hand, that's when you have a problem.
I've always been into Quality over quantity so I'm fortunate to like each and every single figure. I have also at one point thought of selling a few to consolidate but since I never did get carried away, I like each and every single piece that I collected.

Its amazing to me that almost on a daily basis, I make a habit of stopping by and admiring my collections. I've always been into comics and movies so to me, it is ART.
Out of all the things that I've bought, I have just ONE, just one that I regret and its my T600, I bought it cause I bought the John Connor so I figured I'd need another terminator to go with with. Guess what? Out of all my collections, there's only 1 boxed up...Yup. Just the T600. Everything gets admired almost on a daily basis.

In my experience, this NEVER works. If you truly don't want to sell an item, DON'T SELL IT, especially if you assume you'll be able to get it later.

9 out of 10 times you'll pay more the second time.

You may. But it is a good test as to whether you truly wanted it in the first place.

Plus, if you sell it on the same market that you buy it on, you should be able to break even (or at least close to even) on anything you buy back. For instance -- if you have a particular piece that was $100 when you bought it ... but sells for $200 on the aftermarket, you'll get $200 now, and have to spend about $200 if you want it back.

If it isn't worth $200 to buy it back, it wasn't worth keeping in lieu of $200.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
The problem?
I like all of it.

So, how would you decide what to part with.

Or, <gasp> should I just go all in and sell ALL of it? :dunno

Its been weighing on my mind for a bit and there would be pieces I would have to keep. Getting rid of everything would mean I would have to leave all the forums. I know that if I saw something cool I'd fall right back in.

I understand the problem. You have collected over a long period of time and accumulated much. You have invested a lot of time money and love. This is why you like it all. You cannot sell it all because, as you have said, "there would be pieces I would have to keep".

So how do you decide what to part with? You love the apes, so keep them. How much do you like nostalgic as opposed to modern manifestations? How much do you like customs as opposed to store bought? Are you ready to give up the time and effort of customs and just accept store bought pieces alone? Do you sell the rarer items or sell off the easily repurchased ones at a loss? Sell off the, possibly below par customs, and keep only the ones that attain a higher standard? How you decide is entirely up to you. Somehow you have to decide on a direction.

It seems to me the problem is more psychological in nature. You have to change your attitude. 'Cool' has to be omitted from your decision making process or you will relapse. Crunch time is at hand. It's never easy but has to be done. It will free up finances and space and give you some peace of mind, when you work out what it is you seek to attain.

Yes. I genuinely wish that I had a more constructive hobby. Like feeding the homeless or sailing or playing the piano. But no. I collect toys. WTF?
Absolutely!

I guess I don't get this thread. King, you have a huge collection coveted by many. I got the impression you loved it. :(

Is everyone here suddenly "growing up"? :ohbfrank:

First of all, there is absolutely nothing wrong in having this hobby. Having a hobby is actually healthy as it gives joy and satisfaction. But like everything, if its in moderation, its ok, but if it gets out of hand, that's when you have a problem.
I've always been into Quality over quantity so I'm fortunate to like each and every single figure. I have also at one point thought of selling a few to consolidate but since I never did get carried away, I like each and every single piece that I collected.

Its amazing to me that almost on a daily basis, I make a habit of stopping by and admiring my collections. I've always been into comics and movies so to me, it is ART...

A man after my own heart. :rock

Last edited:
Is everyone here suddenly "growing up"?

The wife wishes I'd grow up :pfft: j/k

I wouldn't be so tempted to sell my collection except the media room is dedicated to my hobby. It is a primary room in the house therefore, I like it to look nice and presentable. It is hard to do with a overwhelming collection so alot of my stuff sits in the basement until I rotate the collection. It gets old rotating therefore, I decided to limit my licenses and sell items that don't belong.

I wouldn't be so tempted to sell my collection except the media room is dedicated to my hobby. It is a primary room in the house therefore, I like it to look nice and presentable. It is hard to do with a overwhelming collection so alot of my stuff sits in the basement until I rotate the collection. It gets old rotating therefore, I decided to limit my licenses and sell items that don't belong.

I guess if my collection were so large that lots of it was boxed up and stored, or it looked cluttered on display I could understand the desire to pair down a little. But right now, my collection still has room to grow into my display room.

I guess if my collection were so large that lots of it was boxed up and stored, or it looked cluttered on display I could understand the desire to pair down a little. But right now, my collection still has room to grow into my display room.

Ah.......then why sell? Just tone it down so it takes you longer to reach the point were selling becomes an option. Enjoy them :goodpost:

I'm going back and forth in my mind about selling a few pieces of my collection. I've run out of space, and my collection is seeming cluttered. My first thought was maybe my Star Wars prequel 1/6s. I simply don't have the love for the prequels that I do for the originals. Still, it's tough to let go of some things. I had to test myself. I've stuck them all in a box to see how I feel about it. Frankly, it doesn't seem to me like I'm missing them.

Umm this might sound weird but if u still have and of the aliens or predator stuff i could buy it of you thats if i don't already have it lol.

Keep the pieces which you have the strongest emotional bond with. Use that as the bar to measure the other pieces to. If they register as strongly as the apes, then keep them and don't feel bad. It's money that has already been spent. There has to be some that you only bought for their "cool" factor. Start with those, no matter how cool they are!
Wise words imo.

I'm doing the same at the mo. I've decided to sell most of my collection. all my LOTR/Marvel/UC/Sideshow and even my Moore ladies are going.

I am keeping my Aspen ladies simply because they are very special to me. Everytime I look at that shelf I look in awe and cannot believe how gorgeous they are all displayed together.
However I do not have the same feeling with other stuff in my collection anymore so I too am trimming down. While I am quite organised and don't have a cluttered display, the items that I am not completely happy with are beginning to feel like clutter and they are getting on my nerves. So it's time to change.

So, I say keep what you love, what you would really regret the instant you sold them, the things you always look at and the items that you cherish.
Sell the rest.
x :wave

Also consider your pre-order lists.
Nip it in the bud before it even gets to you.

I went over my SS pre-order list yesterday, and thinned out my pre-order list by 4 pieces. Not that I thought the statues were less cool, just a couple of them did not fit with what I primarily collect. My collection is roughly 75% Marvel, 20% Star Wars, 5% miscelaneous interest. I didn't want that 5% growing much more.

Lastly I know I have been guilty of this before but honestly ask yourself if you have pieces in your collection that are women that are beautiful sculpts but you have no clue or could care less about the character, those should be easy ones to get rid of. I always joke about the people that caused Darth Talon to sell out so fast "Damn she's hot, ORDERED! Um, now who is she?"

If you have no clue who the character is, might be a good one to sell.

I guess I don't get this thread. King, you have a huge collection coveted by many. I got the impression you loved it. :(

Is everyone here suddenly "growing up"? :ohbfrank:
I love my collection and I never intend to part with it. That has never changed.

What I was saying is that this board is in no way a good thing if you are wanting to get out of this hobby.Or even just cut back. This board is the ultimate enabler. It does far more harm than good and has cost me time and money I will never get back. Its not the bandwagon buying that gets me, I can pass on something everyone else has if I really don't want it. Like Batmans and Jokers and DX stuff and Marvel PFs or TMNT stuff etc. etc. etc. What gets me is seeing pics of things in hand that look so good that I start wanting it. Things I had never intended to buy until I see them in hand and how truly great the figure is. Then I start wanting it. The Godfather figure is a perfect example of that. I can easily pass on popular stuff, but it is harder for me to pass on a true masterpiece of toy design. I hate this place sometimes because of that. Its like crack. No matter how bad I want to quit I keep coming back for more.

Love this hobby. Love my collection. But this board is pure evil. Of that I have no doubt.

:lecture

Back