How the hell do you decide what to buy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
SS's SW lines (PF, 1/6, Dios) are looking and sounding so awesome. For those of you who *can't* have it all (like me), how in Sam Blaze's do you figure out what you like the best? :lol

I'm pretty much a PF guy now but those 12 inchers have such a great connection to the toys I had as a kid. Like many my childhood wasn't defined by the only the films but the toys as well. *Everybody* had these things and got together with their friends to set up huge battles, dramas, you name it. I like the marriage of the fantastic sculpts, poseability, character depth (we certainly won't ever see an AT-AT Driver PF, one of my absolute favorite Kenner figures), and nostalgic link to toys of the past.

The PF's just "rock the house" in their class and sculpting from head to toe. Usually you can't beat their likenesses and "wow factor."

And now the Dios seem to be further blending the lines between the 1/6 figures and PF's. Smaller scale and range of character possibilities like the 12 inchers (even more range in fact), plus full sculpts and more (here's that word again) class like the PF's.

In the end I'll probably remain a PF guy (its hard to beat top all-around quality) but dang, what a decision.

300014_press03.jpg

3000141_press02.jpg

3000141_press03.jpg

3000141_press04.jpg

Last edited:
For me, it's a matter of weighing each piece against my life and my collecting. For example, I had PF Boba Fett Excl. on order, but I knew it might be an issue with funds one day, and then SSC offered the Medicom Fett and I weighed out that the Medi Fett was a better route for me, 1/3 of the cost, better look (in my opinion) fits my collection better because I have no PF figures so Boba would have been flying solo, and figures have a great versatility and play value, and at heart, I'm a kid so I like play factor, but I do enjoy my statues as well. On the other end of the PF debate, I am a die hard Darth Maul fan (go figure right?) and ordering the PF Maul was a no brainer for me, any great Maul piece I snag up because I love seeing pieces, he's a very visually appealing character and makes for great collectibles. As for the 1/6 line, so far I've gotten it all, and I had some of the Endor troops on order, but cancelled those out of need for funds and feeling I'd rather put the money towards actual characters. For me, Star Wars collecting revolves primarily around the things you see in the films, other than Clone Wars and Shadows of the Empire, I have delved very little into the EU, so the troops came down to having more important things I wanted to delegate that money too, if money weren't an issue I'd get them because they look nice, but I'm out for Obi-Wan's and Palpatines so I wouldn't want to buy an Endor troop and find out i can't buy something I really want cuz the money is spent. As for the dio line, my approach is going to be get the pieces that really look nice and capture moments that mean something to me, and occassionally I may buy a piece because it seems good and I'm unsure if ones I really want will ever get made so snatch up what ones that are made and I like while I have the chance. As for 1:1 busts, it'll come down to how impressive the piece is and how much I care for the character, Maul was a must, Greedo was cool but too expensive for a piece I had only a passing fancy for, and Yoda is a breathtaking piece and a great character so I'll be welcoming that into my collection soon.

It depends on how much the blood bank will allow me to donate for the month; if they're running low, then there's a good chance I can afford a PF...if not, I have to stick to the 12" ...so far, it's been a good month... *faints on keyboard*....

Last edited:
This is how it ended up working for me:

ALL dioramas;
SOME premium formats;
NO 1:1 busts;
NO twelve inchers.

So it's not hard, actually. :bunnydanc

1. Is it something that I think looks cool and would like to look at every day

2. Can I afford it

3. Do I have enough space for it.

If I say yes to all 3 I get it. Which is why I haven't gotten any PF... they don't pass #2 or #3. Also I look at it like I personally would rather have 5 very cool looking 12" figs than 1 ultra cool PF. I like the variety of the 12" line.

I look for quality over quantity, and how I want my display to look. Personally I am not a 12" collector, and don't care much for their look when displayed. Given the amount of PF announcements (in SW and LOTR), they aren't all that taxing. 1:1 busts and dioramas are also things I am interested in, depending on scale (for the dioramas) and characters.

LOTR has been mighty easy to collect.

Two Things:

1) Buy what you like the most and 2) Make sure you have the money to buy it.

I was a collector of the Hasbro 12" line so have migrated over to the SS 12" line easily. At the same time, I'm being much more selective as to what figures are picked up. I've pretty much decided to go with the main characters in their most iconic outfits, the Jedi's and the Sith. I've decided to pass on the filler figures, such as the Endor triplets, Bib, etc.

PF's have not been picked up yet.

Statues/Dioramas are new and are in a "wait and see" mode.

I can usually tell immediately if I want something or not, however I don't always pay attention to that and end up with impulse buys and crazy rationalizations. In the end, I always end up letting go of the stuff I didn't really need and the pieces I really love stick around. It's taken me a while to get to the point where I can now almost totally ignore things that won't get shelf space. I only do 12"ers because (I tell myself) PFFs' are too expensive (even though I have spent the same kind of prices on certain 12"ers).

So basically my process is a vicious game of cat and mouse, where the stakes are life or death!

:rotfl

Well, with GG products on the SW side I'm getting the Clones from Ep3 and a few here and there outside of that. Their LOTR stuff I'm getting the Fellowship and a few outside of that. Neither of those will be big collections for me in the end. The PF for SW I have Vader, Ben, and Grievous. I have ordered Maul and can't wait for him to get here. I want Obi & Anakin from Ep3, Sidious from Ep3, Yoda by himself, an Ep3 Clone, and a Sandtrooper. Though, I may not even get all those honestly. The LOTR I want all 9 members of the Fellowship, Eomer, Theoden, ML, and Saruman. I will be getting all the 1:6 for SW and LOTR. I've really grown to like these figures. They're every bit as good (quality wise) as the PF IMO and much easier to display.

If I have any doubt about what figure to buy, I pluck out chest hairs one at a time until I cry. Then I buy them both.

I set rules!

1st-For me, OT Only.

2nd- Characters I like most, for me Vader, Jedi Luke, Palpatine are always priority

3rd- Whatever else I really like! Mainly RAH and VCD's I love Medicoms offerings. With SS, So far only Luke 12" has really stood the test of time for me, the rest I've had just didn't live up to what I wanted. If something in the future changes that, well than I'll buy it! PF's sooo cool yet sooo expensive, look at rule 2 in this case. Dios, again, rule 2.

If you set rules and focus, you get a collection that's all killer no filler!

daelith said:
It depends on how much the blood bank will allow me to donate for the month; if they're running low, then there's a good chance I can afford a PF...if not, I have to stick to the 12" ...so far, it's been a good month... *faints on keyboard*....

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Back