How many prefer OT characters over PT characters?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes i like the originals models used MUCH more. They just look so much more real, griping and realistic, which makes the experince so much more real and believable(sp?) Also the CGI used in the prequels (mainly I and II) look WAY too cartoony for me at least. Models for me!:D

Unique Soul said:
Why the Ewoks always get so much hate?...

I never understood this either. Ewoks are great. A little bit of salt, pepper, buttered up real nice and slow roasted for about four to six hours and they're just fantastic. :wacky

Vader and Maul are my two faves so I like one guy from each. I like others but those two are my faves.

I like both the PT and OT equally because they tell the whole story of Star Wars.

LOTRFan said:
First my ranking:

ESB
ANH
ROTJ

*Big Separation*
ROTS
AOTC

*DOWN*
TPM

For me the comments about comparisons not being valid, are in themselves invalid; if these are meant to be construed as one long story, then inevitably they will be considered that way. The most obvious note of comparison to me is essentially story over flash. I personally feel that the PT are so artificial and digitalized, that we lost much of the wit and depth that made the originals so effective. Lucas was attempting to create myth to inspire a generation largely discouraged and estranged due to the societal conflicts and scandals of the time. The PT lost that vision and became nothing more than "good eye candy," set on making us essentially watch just how many CG characters Lucas could fill the screen with. I found absolutely no character to be admirable, no one I could identify with; and actually detested them all by ROTS. Yoda was disgraced with the advice he gives to Anakin, you actually wished he would suffer loss. Mace became a cruel step-father, never letting Anakin play in any "Jedi-games." Obi -Wan was an ignorant and indifferent tutor, who failed to keep his apprentice close to his side. And Anakin, oh my, what a winey, spoiled, half-wit. The relationship of Padme and Anakin could only take place "in a galaxy far, far away," because dialogue so stale and heartless would never beget a lasting relationship on this planet. I couldn't care less who died, they all were whiney and irritating. The Jedi were portrayed as tyrants in ROTS, you actually wanted the Sith to win.

Where's Padme ...... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :rolleyes:

Padme loosing the will to live, decidedly dying and leaving her unborn to fend for themselves, what a spoiled brat!

Anakin hacking up Jedi younglings, and then finding redemption in ROTJ - I almost want him to die a cruel and miserable man now.

And perhaps worst of all my grievances, is just how small this Star Wars world really was. Is it not comical how they all seem to live just two doors down? ROTS was the worst at this, little quips about how you can communicate with those who have died for example. Or Anakin being the real builder of 3PO, come on Lucas, Yoda didn't have to meet Chewbacca, we don't need it all spelled out for us.

Bottom line, I wish there was more substance and less computer game, but alas we have what we were given.

Couldn't have said it better. But I think you are a little to hard on the PT Obi-Wan.

How many prefer OT characters over PT characters

I don't agree with the age thing. I am an older guy and
am glad Lucas did the Prequals. It just filled a lot of the
gaps from the OT.

I just think PT characters like Maul, Grievous, Boba's dad, Padme, etc..
have made Star Wars better. And the Emperor's character development
was fun to watch.

I like them in this order:
Empire, the best opening sequence with the walkers battle
ANH, never forget seeing Darth for the first time
Clones, Obi was good in this and birth of the stormtroopers
Jedi, Darth and Luke
Sith, Anakin turning to the dark side
Phantom, Maul

I love'em all. Lucas has created the best Sci-Fi story of all time, and now I get to enjoy the full story (in six installments) on DVD.

This discussion is going on in a different tread, so I thought I'd bring it back here.

I was lucky enough to grow up during the original trilogy. I saw ANH in the theaters in 1977. To say it changed my young life would be an understatement. The OT will always be my favorites, but I really love the prequels, too. Except for Jar Jars awful accent.

I don't know, both trilogies have their merits.

I would put it as:

ROTS
ESB
ANH
AOTC
ROTJ
TPM

Although, the bottom one really isn't that low, but some movie has to be on the bottom, doesn't mean it's bad, just that I don't like it as much as the one above it.

I was watching ROTJ the other day, go to the ending and felt my eyes starting to tear up. I got the same feeling from ROTS. Those are touching movies. The other movies just give you a great feeling at the end. Especially ESB, with the music and the galaxy (it is a galaxy there at the end right?) it just gives you a great feeling.

darthviper107 said:
I don't know, both trilogies have their merits.

I would put it as:

ROTS
ESB
ANH
AOTC
ROTJ
TPM

Although, the bottom one really isn't that low, but some movie has to be on the bottom, doesn't mean it's bad, just that I don't like it as much as the one above it.

I was watching ROTJ the other day, go to the ending and felt my eyes starting to tear up. I got the same feeling from ROTS. Those are touching movies. The other movies just give you a great feeling at the end. Especially ESB, with the music and the galaxy (it is a galaxy there at the end right?) it just gives you a great feeling.

I don't know how the ending of ESP gives you a great feeling. Han has just been taken and could possibly die if Lando and Chewie can't save him. It really isn't a happy ending. I didn't cry in RotS, but I sure tear up in RotJ when Vader dies. That was even before any of the PT.

Buttmunch said:
I don't know how the ending of ESP gives you a great feeling. Han has just been taken and could possibly die if Lando and Chewie can't save him. It really isn't a happy ending. I didn't cry in RotS, but I sure tear up in RotJ when Vader dies. That was even before any of the PT.

You kidding? It's a great ending.

Luke just rekindled his relationship with his long lost father and with Han out of the picture the way is clear to move in on Leia -- all right! :date

Or, that's how I viewed it until May 16,1983. :crying

Last edited:
I love all of the movies, and while I grew up watching the OT and wishing I were Luke... I couldn't help but be exited and interested in the PT. And while yes, Phantom Menace made me feel a little mixed about it all... I was interested even more. Learning how Palpatine started this whole thing as well as where Obi-Wan came from.. It answered a lot of questions about the series that I had been dying to know. The rest of the PT just kept ramping up until it got to ROTS which just rocked in my eyes. I was so emotionally invested by that point that I nearly cried in several spots...

ESB was the best film, TPM had the best lightsaber fight, ROTS the most emotion, and ANH the most iconic movie... AOTC was just to build the tension in my eyes.... Great movie still, but merely a stepping stone to greater things..

I'd rate them...

ESB
ROTS
ROTJ
ANH
AOTC
TPM

:D

I've said it before (maybe even in this thread) - I prefer the OT as films; partly for nostalgia, partly because they're better written and better directed films. But I love the variety of characters and the designs of characters in the PT.

Qui-Jon is a great character and I'd love to have him as a figure. Jango is who everyone thought Boba should be. Adult Anakin and Obi-wan are classic tragic characters. Palpatine is a bit one dimensional as a villain, but he's far more fleshed out than the Emperor of the OT. Padme is played by Natalie Portman and while the character completely wimps out in RotS, hey, it's Natalie Portman!

Darklord Dave said:
Padme is played by Natalie Portman and while the character completely wimps out in RotS, hey, it's Natalie Portman!

And her character in all 3 films is only as interesting as her wardrobe changes.

Wor-Gar said:
And her character in all 3 films is only as interesting as her wardrobe changes.

Her wardrobe changes were pretty damn interesting, though.

Let's face it, all 6 movies were weak. After all the hoopla is over, I can see that now. But I still love the look of the characters!

Eric

Wor-Gar said:

I think her wardrobe changes were more interesting than her. :cool:

I wish someone like Keira had played her. Maybe they could've breathed more life into her. Then again, the character wasn't written well, so maybe not. IMHO.

OT had the better story, better acting, and it wasn't almost all digital like PT. That being said I love all 6 movies, and clone wars. I love the OT and really like the PT.

ESB
ROTJ
ROTS
ANH
AOTC
TPM

Back