How many people here are Mac Users

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We looked into them, but we have heard too many horror stories of them heating up, etc. So we thought we would play it safe. Thank you very much though. :D

No problem. :wave Just thought I'd mention it. Interesting about them heating up. Luckily my wife splits the time with them and the refurb is the one at school, which doesn't get used all the time. But like I said, it's worked fine so far (over a year).

We have a macbook but we are also looking into getting an..I guess it's called...imac.

Currently our charge cord for the macbook is dead. A new one is more expensive then I though. So we aren't using it much. Jenn takes it to work to have charged.

Take it to the Genius Bar at the Apple store. You'll be surprised, under warranty or not sometimes they ignore how old it is and give you a new charge cable for free, or at a discount.

Take it to the Genius Bar at the Apple store. You'll be surprised, under warranty or not sometimes they ignore how old it is and give you a new charge cable for free, or at a discount.

Very good advice. A couple of weeks ago my sister dropped her iPod classic and broke it completely. She took it to the Genius bar just to have them look to see if it had any hope. It didn't. She was just going to buy a new one, but the guy offered her the same older model (80gb) which they don't sell anymore, brand new for $60. I'm guessing it was new old stock that hadn't sold, so they gave it to her heavily discounted. New, I think it used to cost $200. And the 160gb classic they sell now (the only classic) is $250.

So you never know what they're going to do there. Worth a shot.

i switched from pc to mac in 2004 and haven't looked back. i currently have a 27" imac.

I made the switch in 2009. Although now I use my iPad 2 unless I need to edit photos or log on to work. Hell I can even work from my iPad but some things I do need to be on the computer. I would say 95% of the time I'm on my iPad.

made the switch last year, 2011.

but been familiar with mac since 2009, just waited for my zombie lappy(crashed and reformat x 1) to die.

Mac user since the very first apple came out!
Funny thing is I work with MS now! LOL

I reluctantly made the switch to Mac two years ago because I needed to use Mac-only video editing software for a job. This Macbook Pro is the most reliable computer I have ever used. I can't imagine ever going back to a Windows PC.

Very good advice. A couple of weeks ago my sister dropped her iPod classic and broke it completely. She took it to the Genius bar just to have them look to see if it had any hope. It didn't. She was just going to buy a new one, but the guy offered her the same older model (80gb) which they don't sell anymore, brand new for $60. I'm guessing it was new old stock that hadn't sold, so they gave it to her heavily discounted. New, I think it used to cost $200. And the 160gb classic they sell now (the only classic) is $250.

So you never know what they're going to do there. Worth a shot.

Thank you both for that. I will give that a shot.

I like my apple products, but I"m not a super fanboy. I have an early 2008 15" macbook pro
2010 13" macbook air

I'm thinking about getting a new 11" air for the super ninja-like portability, and giving the 13" to my mom. I've also been researching how to custom build a computer and installing OSX on it. Half the price and still get my OSX!!!

my friend got a mac laptop and within a year it stopped turning on, and the cable broke, she took it to the apple store and they said they couldn't give her a new cable because that was an older computer, it was only a year old, I don't know,
and fixing it was going to cost her almost the same as the price of the computer itself, she could have bought a new computer, but she still had a lot of important files in the damaged one.

thats one of the reasons i don't think about converting, seems like apple is much more expensive, and harder to fix? that last part I don't know, I know she tried to see if she could get it fixed but didn't have much luck,

my friend got a mac laptop and within a year it stopped turning on, and the cable broke, she took it to the apple store and they said they couldn't give her a new cable because that was an older computer, it was only a year old, I don't know,
and fixing it was going to cost her almost the same as the price of the computer itself, she could have bought a new computer, but she still had a lot of important files in the damaged one.

thats one of the reasons i don't think about converting, seems like apple is much more expensive, and harder to fix? that last part I don't know, I know she tried to see if she could get it fixed but didn't have much luck,

I call bull____. I never experienced this through Apple, especially during the warranty period. If she bought a refurbished Mac form them, you get at least a 1 year warranty. This story sounds bogus because they never reject you for replacement parts/repairs under the warranty period. Unless she purchased this through a third party, that wasn't a store, then I can understand why they would do that.

I call bull____. I never experienced this through Apple, especially during the warranty period. If she bought a refurbished Mac form them, you get at least a 1 year warranty. This story sounds bogus because they never reject you for replacement parts/repairs under the warranty period. Unless she purchased this through a third party, that wasn't a store, then I can understand why they would do that.

it was in college, she had to buy a new one, I didn't go with her to the store, but I saw her older one break and not turn on again, and I know she just had to get one, I guess the warranty expired, but like i said, fixing it was going to cost her almost the same as buying a new one,
I don't know maybe she dropped it or something, but I dont know :dunno

With laptops, everything is basically part of the logic board, so if one component goes, the whole board needs to be replaced, which often (especially for Apple components) costs about the same as buying a whole new laptop. Not good times.

If it's out of warranty, it's usually best to take out the hard drive, grab the files and get a new machine. Or scan ebay for a board, you might get lucky.

Back