How many collectors keep or sell their Hot Toys figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which type of hot toys collectors are you?

• I keep nearly all of my hot toys and have only sold 1-4 since i started

Votes: 71 44.9%
  • I keep mostly all my Hot Toys figures, only rarely sell one or two

Votes: 58 36.7%
  • I rent hot toys for a while and sell them off when i grow bored of them

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I rent hot toys, sell them and upgrade to the newest version of the character

Votes: 14 8.9%

• Total voters
For personal financial reasons I'm scaling back on my range of future purchases by selling things I have right now. I've sold stuff before but this time I'm really delving into things I'd rather keep...I just can't. By keeping them I'd virtually guarantee that I'll want every future figure that goes with them.

I hate to upgrade but just like an old car and wife with high miles. It's time to upgrade. :clap

i sold 1 or 2. literally, because i don't remember if it was 1 or 2. and they weren't complete figures.
but it's not my choice. i simply cannot take part in international shipping because nobody will wait for his figure for a month or two :lol

I haven't sold any thus far. However I have kept all the boxes just in case i have to, or decide to in the future.

Ive sold off all my "impulse" figures. When I first started out I wanted and bought everything, now my focus is strictly Iron Man armors with a few marvel figs in the mix. Im at the point where I need to focus on one or two lines. This hobby is getting very expensive.

I am sold so many of them so I can have space and money for new preorder. Just focus for Batman

I have recently sold and have for sale a few Hot Toys plus a few others this isn't really what I want to do but financially I'm fining it hard to afford some of the figures I really want (Star Wars) and this is giving me a new focus so am reluctantly having to choose my least favorite figures to move on to pay for new purchases.

I haven't sold any, and have no plans to (unless something dire happens and I need the money). Mostly because I'm not a completist. I only buy the HT (or any manufacturer) figures I want. I don't have a complete Avengers team, or every Batman, or every Iron Man (hell, I don't have even ONE armor, because I missed out on the one I really wanted). Now, I have some impulse buys from other manufacturers that I'm tempted to sell, but HTs are too expensive to be impulse buys, so once I get those, I don't plan to sell. And aside from having two BWs (before I knew they were going to make new ones seemingly every year), I'm a one and done collector; and I don't care if I have Hawkeye from AOU standing next to BW from the first Avengers. My "Batman Collection" consists of Batman Returns BM and Anne Hathaway/Selina Kyle, and the '66 BM & R with the Tweeterhead Julie Newmar and Yvonee Craig statues. It's all about fun, not selling and making a profit.

Not that my collection is limited to Hot Toys, but I collect within my budget (and pick & choose what I buy), so I haven't had to sell any figures off yet.

Well, for personal financial reasons I've been scaling ba-

oh wait. 2012 me said it best.

For personal financial reasons I'm scaling back on my range of future purchases by selling things I have right now. I've sold stuff before but this time I'm really delving into things I'd rather keep...I just can't. By keeping them I'd virtually guarantee that I'll want every future figure that goes with them.

I actually sold all of my collection a year or so ago. It wasn't because I was broke, but I sort of got sick of it. PERSONALLY (as in, it only applies to me) I realized that the amount of money that was just sitting there collecting dust was way to sickening to me. Almost 20K worth of figures that, while they looked amazing, they stopped putting a smile on my face...all I could think of was: What am I doing? I could do so much more with 20K than just having it SIT there.

You could argue that a vacation or a car is still something that is money wasted, but IMO (allow me to repeat that) IMO, it is at least something I will get to enjoy and cherish forever.

I tried getting back when the Batman Returns set was finally announced, and after much deliberation, bough it. Received it, looked nice, and BOOM. Same damn sense of regret right ****ing there. So I said, that's it. I'm done with figures. I really like Fight Club, and that new Blitzway set is looking incredible. I pre-ordered the set at BBTS with no money down, so, who knows what'll happen.

Having said that:

- I still enjoy talking about figures and cool stuff.
- I still enjoy seeing pics of your latest purchases.
- I still enjoy making fun of everything Marvel.
- I still enjoy arguments about dollies.
- I still laugh at $70 custom capes and rooted Barbie hair.
- I still enjoy talking/arguing with the so-called know it alls of the dollie wolrd.
- I still enjoy this site very much.

I now only collect what I really love (MP transformers) and no, I would never sell one unless a better version comes along (very different from upgrading a HT).

It was great while it lasted though. Made really cool friends here. And hilarious haters.

I actually sold all of my collection a year or so ago. It wasn't because I was broke, but I sort of got sick of it. PERSONALLY (as in, it only applies to me) I realized that the amount of money that was just sitting there collecting dust was way to sickening to me. Almost 20K worth of figures that, while they looked amazing, they stopped putting a smile on my face...all I could think of was: What am I doing? I could do so much more with 20K than just having it SIT there.

You could argue that a vacation or a car is still something that is money wasted, but IMO (allow me to repeat that) IMO, it is at least something I will get to enjoy and cherish forever.

I tried getting back when the Batman Returns set was finally announced, and after much deliberation, bough it. Received it, looked nice, and BOOM. Same damn sense of regret right ****ing there. So I said, that's it. I'm done with figures. I really like Fight Club, and that new Blitzway set is looking incredible. I pre-ordered the set at BBTS with no money down, so, who knows what'll happen.

Having said that:

- I still enjoy talking about figures and cool stuff.
- I still enjoy seeing pics of your latest purchases.
- I still enjoy making fun of everything Marvel.
- I still enjoy arguments about dollies.
- I still laugh at $70 custom capes and rooted Barbie hair.
- I still enjoy talking/arguing with the so-called know it alls of the dollie wolrd.
- I still enjoy this site very much.

I now only collect what I really love (MP transformers) and no, I would never sell one unless a better version comes along (very different from upgrading a HT).

It was great while it lasted though. Made really cool friends here. And hilarious haters.

Holy crap Fran. I had NO idea you scaled back THAT much. I'm gonna be honest, there have been certain times when I looked at my collection, displayed ones or MISB, where I have considered selling either most of them or all of them. It's not about the money as well, it's pretty much the same exact line of thinking such as yourself..."they're just sitting there". Also, there have been certain moments out of frustration with HT as a company that have made me reconsider my continued support for them. Within my collection, there are some that stand out and make me yearn for what once was. For instance, the RE4 figures. Man what a way to get into collecting right?! It cost like...$150-$160, came packed...PACKED with accessories. That is what I consider to be HT golden era. Before the dark times...before they became an empire. During that period, if a figure didn't come packed with accessories, they for damn sure came with a second HS, to make us, the FANS feel justified AND satisfied for spending a considerable amount of money.

Nowadays, it's updated figure after updated figure, making the previous release kind of obsolete if you think about it. And it's even more frustrating when they could've nailed certain elements for a particular release, but chose not to because they KNOW another version of the figure is on the way in the future. HT as a company are letting me down as time goes on. Rising prices to unrealistic levels that aren't supported by what comes in the overall package itself, lack of communication with fans, and making back door deals that prevent competition in the market. It's ****ed up.

But I could never push myself past that point. Feelings of regret will undoubtedly fill every inch of my body. And every time a new reveal is shown for a character I like...I can't control myself from asking my local toy shop to order it for me. So I commend you for being able to "quit this addiction". I don't know how you did it, but I applaud you good sir.

At least you're still collecting MP TF. I mean, you can't deny yourself of everything right? Lol IMO that's a hard way to live.

Great Thread!

I think as collectors we do end of selling some of our figures for whatever reason. I have sold figures like my predators in the past and I ended up purchasing them again. I think it all comes down too purchasing the figures that really interest me as in the past when I just purchased figures to purchase figures. I have been collecting many figures in these past two years . After I get my collection to the point when I am happy with it. I will scale back. So for me that will be Batman VS Superman, Aliens, and Star Wars. As for Marvel I will get dead pool since he is my favorite marvel character.

I still think that getting a hot toys figure in the mail is really special but it is not as special as used to be. I remember building Predator Model kits. That was the golden age of Hot Toys. When you get a figure for less than three hundred dollars. I know there are people that love Iron Man but I think Hot Toys has over saturated the market not only with Iron man figures but some 2.0 figures. There are other companies that pop culture shock and Threezero that are getting more interesting license like Fallout and Hellraiser. Hopefully ill see that District 9 figure soon.

I think for my collection I will get the characters I want and than give this hobby a break for awhile. Statues and PF's look like a way better choice for me to go. I think I will be collecting those in the future. As well as purchasing less 1/6 and everything action figures. Gotta save for the future. I do consider these action figures to be art and I appreciate them as such. All of my friends and people I know think its cool. At least this hobby is being more accepted as some nerdy things are. This hobby also hurts your wallet.

Who has had the same experience to collecting that I have?

While we're at it i might as well share my story:

Around 2008 to about 2013 i was really into collecting hot toys. I still remember the sense of awe and amazement i got when i ordered and recieved my first hot toys figure which was the lost predator way back in 2008. The predator boxes at the time were great to look at. Back then having to construct the figures was admittedly half the fun of collecting hot toys. Those were the days! Anyways after this i started to pick up much more hot toys on a regular basis and ended up with a ton of figures. I can't even remember what half of them were now but i was collecting a lot of them. Around this time i was going crazy with collecting in general spending in the range of $2,000 a month on statues and figures.

Then after a while the buzz started to wear off with collecting and in particular the hot toys buzz. I just wasn't feeling it anymore. Around the 2012 to 2013 time period i decided to get rid of most my hot toys figures. I sold some of them, gave away some of them away or just dumped some of them in the bin(crazy i know). Its kind of strange but i just wanted to get rid of them. There was a sort of pressurized feeling having them all stare back at me from the shelves and like franpincho said knowing that i spent so much money on them when i could have used the money for something more worthwhile was also getting to me.

I think during that period of 2008 to 2013 i got rid of the collecting bug out of my system for life. After that no longer was i prepared to spend that kind of money on hot toys figures or collect that many figures. I still collect mind you but now its only maybe a figure a year if that from hot toys and i've decided that after my next set of few figures I'll be permanently done with collecting Hot toys and collecting in general. I'll still remain on the forum because i love the banter but i won't be collecting anymore. I don't care if hot toys release my grail figures i.e aliens colonial marines,ecto 1 and ghostbusters, t1 endo or cain from robocop 2 i've decided i'll be done collecting hot toys. It was fun but it does have to end at some point in my life.

Last edited:
Holy crap Fran. I had NO idea you scaled back THAT much. I'm gonna be honest, there have been certain times when I looked at my collection, displayed ones or MISB, where I have considered selling either most of them or all of them. It's not about the money as well, it's pretty much the same exact line of thinking such as yourself..."they're just sitting there". Also, there have been certain moments out of frustration with HT as a company that have made me reconsider my continued support for them. Within my collection, there are some that stand out and make me yearn for what once was. For instance, the RE4 figures. Man what a way to get into collecting right?! It cost like...$150-$160, came packed...PACKED with accessories. That is what I consider to be HT golden era. Before the dark times...before they became an empire. During that period, if a figure didn't come packed with accessories, they for damn sure came with a second HS, to make us, the FANS feel justified AND satisfied for spending a considerable amount of money.

Nowadays, it's updated figure after updated figure, making the previous release kind of obsolete if you think about it. And it's even more frustrating when they could've nailed certain elements for a particular release, but chose not to because they KNOW another version of the figure is on the way in the future. HT as a company are letting me down as time goes on. Rising prices to unrealistic levels that aren't supported by what comes in the overall package itself, lack of communication with fans, and making back door deals that prevent competition in the market. It's ****ed up.

But I could never push myself past that point. Feelings of regret will undoubtedly fill every inch of my body. And every time a new reveal is shown for a character I like...I can't control myself from asking my local toy shop to order it for me. So I commend you for being able to "quit this addiction". I don't know how you did it, but I applaud you good sir.

At least you're still collecting MP TF. I mean, you can't deny yourself of everything right? Lol IMO that's a hard way to live.

Thank you!

It wasn't easy letting go of my DX13, and my Burton Batman figures..and maybe Robocop. The other ones I truly didn't give a damn.

There was a point in which I was literally buying crap I had no attachment to (some Iron Meh even) mainly because they looked cool. Vehicles that I had no space for, characters that were amazing looking (Hellboy, Some Depp figures) but again, that I never gave a damn about. The HT bug, if you will.

Had I applied myself and stick only to things I actually cared for, maybe, the outcome would've been different, but it was way too late. I had to get rid of them all, I just had to do it. I needed to know I could and that this wasn't an addiction of some sort (It was clearly going into that direction).

When I say addiction, I'm not trying to compare it with drugs, or any of the sort. Some sort of addiction.

But once that was over, I felt in control. Will I ever buy a HT again? Why the hell not! But I'm older and wiser now, and unless all the things that I really want to do are crossed of my list, I won't. Some may say that $300 is completely justified for an action figure because of licenses, detail, etc etc etc etc. But just listen to yourself when you say that though. $300 is not, IS NOT pocket change. You can feed a family three months with that money in some parts of the world.

Now, I'm in no way trying to make anyone feel bad about their spending. You are all free to do whatever you want. That's the reasoning I choose to rationalize my personal spending ONLY.

If these things were cheaper, it would be a different story. I spend at the most, $130 on a full sized Masterpiece Transformer that comes out 3 or 4 times a year if one is lucky. Those things transform into real life vehicles (some not) and look amazing in both modes. Why don't they charge $300 for the "engineering"? Or the real life Nissan/Toyota/Lamborghini/etc license? No, they keep it affordable, something HT will not do. If you were to tell me that there is more engineering involved when making a Batman rubbery figure compared to a freaking semi truck that turns into an amazing looking Prime I would laugh.

Man, I sound like a broken record. I really like what HT does, but I guess I just can't justify it any longer. Too many factors.

Thank you!

It wasn't easy letting go of my DX13, and my Burton Batman figures..and maybe Robocop. The other ones I truly didn't give a damn.

There was a point in which I was literally buying crap I had no attachment to (some Iron Meh even) mainly because they looked cool. Vehicles that I had no space for, characters that were amazing looking (Hellboy, Some Depp figures) but again, that I never gave a damn about. The HT bug, if you will.

Had I applied myself and stick only to things I actually cared for, maybe, the outcome would've been different, but it was way too late. I had to get rid of them all, I just had to do it. I needed to know I could and that this wasn't an addiction of some sort (It was clearly going into that direction).

When I say addiction, I'm not trying to compare it with drugs, or any of the sort. Some sort of addiction.

But once that was over, I felt in control. Will I ever buy a HT again? Why the hell not! But I'm older and wiser now, and unless all the things that I really want to do are crossed of my list, I won't. Some may say that $300 is completely justified for an action figure because of licenses, detail, etc etc etc etc. But just listen to yourself when you say that though. $300 is not, IS NOT pocket change. You can feed a family three months with that money in some parts of the world.

Now, I'm in no way trying to make anyone feel bad about their spending. You are all free to do whatever you want. That's the reasoning I choose to rationalize my personal spending ONLY.

If these things were cheaper, it would be a different story. I spend at the most, $130 on a full sized Masterpiece Transformer that comes out 3 or 4 times a year if one is lucky. Those things transform into real life vehicles (some not) and look amazing in both modes. Why don't they charge $300 for the "engineering"? Or the real life Nissan/Toyota/Lamborghini/etc license? No, they keep it affordable, something HT will not do. If you were to tell me that there is more engineering involved when making a Batman rubbery figure compared to a freaking semi truck that turns into an amazing looking Prime I would laugh.

Man, I sound like a broken record. I really like what HT does, but I guess I just can't justify it any longer. Too many factors.

Totally agree with everything you say here and yes its an addiction in the end of the day. Anything that makes you spend money unnecessarily on items that lets be honest you don't need is definitely an addiction. I know around 2008 to 2013 i was suffering from it. I can't believe i used to spend the money i was spending on what are essentially plastic toys. I knew i was in over my head when i was spending thousands each month on statues and figures but i just continued to spend just because i liked the look of them. Then one day i was just looking at my figures(and credit card statement) and it hit me like a rock, why was i doing this? I realized then something had to give.

The prices now are ridiculous and that has hampered my need to collect anymore but also i agree with you theres a palpable sense of relief once you get rid of the collecting addiction. Its almost like the more you collect the less happy you are and the more pressure you feel to continue buying to get that 'high' you get from opening and displaying a brand spanking new figure. Time has luckily taught me otherwise and now like yourself i'm a lot smarter in how much and what i'm prepared to spend my money on. I'm like a recovering alcohol addict i'm in a much better place now lol. The voice in my head is no longer telling me to buy impulsively its telling me to exercise extreme caution.

Last edited:
Back