How many collectors keep or sell their Hot Toys figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which type of hot toys collectors are you?

• I keep nearly all of my hot toys and have only sold 1-4 since i started

Votes: 71 44.9%
  • I keep mostly all my Hot Toys figures, only rarely sell one or two

Votes: 58 36.7%
  • I rent hot toys for a while and sell them off when i grow bored of them

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I rent hot toys, sell them and upgrade to the newest version of the character

Votes: 14 8.9%

• Total voters
First option. Only sold two Hot Toys figures in my entire collecting career. I sold the MMS 02 T1 T-800 for about 300 something dollars. It was my first Hot Toys figure that I bought years ago. I got it for around 70 bucks but it was missing the gargoyles and an ammo strip. I decided to sell it after owning the T1 Tech Noir T-800 because I was so damn sure that a proper T1 BD T-800 was on the way and it was extremely difficult to find the two parts I needed to complete the figure. :(

Don't really regret it though. I profited by the hundreds. I did feel sentimental about it because it was my first ever Hot Toys figure and one of the first they had done. Plus, it was the Terminator. Oh well, can't take it back.

The second figure I sold was recent. Hot Toys Reeve Superman. I don't know why, but I bought multiples. I sort of got sick of it quick, saw the plummeting prices on the secondary market and decided to sell it for about $200 before I was stuck with something extremely worthless to me. Not to say that I don't love the figure, I just had no need for more than one.

I kept my Reeve Superman ex. and realized I only needed one. Thankfully, I didn't really lose any money and if I did, it was only a few bucks. I also got to make another collector happy.

OTHER than those two instances, I've never sold a Hot Toys figure. I play for keeps.

54 and counting, I haven't found the need, nor the desire to sell any of my Hot Toys figures. I have never bought multiples of any figure. I'm in for collectings not profiting. If and when I sell, if I get what I paid then great, otherwise, at least I got the enjoyment from these 1:6th scale portrayal of some great iconic characters.

Went with option one, but it's probably closer to 7 figures since I started in 2009.

Sold for various reasons, either I fell out of love with something,(Predators line), wanted to upgrade,(sold Mark III to buy Mark VI), or simply or because I didn't it anymore,(Machiko), or couldn't pose them like I wanted, due to rubber suits and other issues,(Briarios, Deunan).

I get bored of them fairly quickly. I have yet to find a Hot Toys figure that I love enough to keep.

Plus I usually just buy shoes with the money I make from selling them.

Shoes > Hot Toys, forever, for life. :lol

Never sell ANYTHING... EVER! Its called a collection, so, well, its kept in the collection otherwise it wouldn't be a collection it would be an ephemeral entity!

Never sell ANYTHING... EVER! Its called a collection, so, well, its kept in the collection otherwise it wouldn't be a collection it would be an ephemeral entity!
But what is a collection, beyond the collective things that a collector possesses? Add to it, take away from it, a collection it remains! Only the nature of a collection at a certain time is ephemeral. Even adding to a collection makes the collection as it previously existed cease to be! :panic:

I had a few hot toys that I sold but that was due to me supposed to be going overseas on a work visa.. that fell through and do miss the Iron man mkVI and war machine.. not the others though

I've owned 10 Hot Toys figures, I've sold off 8 :lol some at a loss, some at a profit, and some even.

I've got a limited amount of space, and a limited amount of money I want to spend on my toy collection, so stuff has to go to make way for anything that comes out which I think is better than the crap I already own (1/6 —HT & customs, 1/4, other scales, and replicas).

You can call me a non-collector, a fair-weather collector, but my collection is refined each year into one I enjoy more and more :)

After selling off 1st DX Joker, Two-Face and Final Battle John Connor I have been doing my best to have that same mentality lately. Thats why I have passed on a lot of "impulse" figs (Superman, '89 DX Joker and Batman) that I would have bought a year ago. As of right now the only HT fig I have is Jack Sparrow and I'm probably going to keep him for a while.

:exactly: :goodpost:

DX Jack Sparrow is the only Hot Toy I will want to keep even if I decide to leave the hobby.

You can call me a non-collector, a fair-weather collector, but my collection is refined each year into one I enjoy more and more :)

:exactly:

Was just in the FS section, and it surprises me how many are being sold, ones that aren't even a year old.

It definately gives the impression that people don't keep them as treasured collectibles, but more as whimsical purchases :(

I figured they had more personal value to buyers, what with the obsessiveness over it being accurate and perfect, that it was meant to be a keeper, not a temporary thing :dunno

Last edited:
Back