How dumb do you think we are?? PART 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread seems like a flipper's last rant, being frustrated that QC issues and NRDs are taking their toll on profitable flipping. When all else fails, blame Sideshow! :lol

Not so much... Flipping is alive and well. I couldn't care less about the quality of pieces I have no intention of keeping. If the paint falls off of a piece that I flipped 6 months ago, too bad. I just have a problem when a Spidey statue that I planned on keeping appears to have been painted by a blind, seizuring amputee.

Believe me, those non-refundable deposits will be refunded in a hurry if the QC isn't up to par.

This issue is nothing new. I remember when we saw the first production pics of the Anakin figure, what, 5 years ago? The paint was awful.

And I could be wrong, but didn't someone from Sideshow address this issue a couple of years ago? I thought they even mentioned something about visiting the factory in China. Not that anything came of it.
They also said HT had an advantage because they could have someone on site. It wasn't cost effective for SS to have someone over there. Looks like they better start looking into making it cost effective.

I'm coming in way late on this one, but I have a simple question. Wouldn't it be prudent for SS to hire a Chinese national to be a full-time "Production Quality Control Manager," or some such title? Their job would be to daily go to the factory (factories,) and inspect the product. 25K a year for some art school grad would be like winning the lottery, and it would be barely a blip on a SS spreadsheet.

Quality has been steadily declining over the last decade for every collectible I buy, from SS to DC Direct, from Hasbro to Mattel. Sloppy paint is just the tip of the iceberg. How about lead paint and tainted food products in consumer goods from China? The factories need to sort their kit out, and there needs to be some manufacturer oversight.

Oh and let's give HT a big round of applause for their QC. The Iron Man Mark I that I got had corroded batteries, and that was within two months of the toy's debut Stateside. Every HT product I've bought save one (OC Batman) has had some type of issue that required repairs or getting replacement parts.

Last edited:
Compare Sideshow from 4-5 years ago to Sideshow today.
This, I have to agree with....

BUT if enough wheels start squeaking, hopefully Sideshow does something before they (WE) all fall off.
Honestly, I would wager that 95% of the comments on this board fall on deaf ears now. I sent an email to their CS explaining why I was dropping the GI Joe line after the crap paint jobs on Duke and Flint; no response. I sent an email to their CS explaining why I will never buy a 1/5th X-Men comiquette; no response. I figure speaking to Sideshow with my wallet is far, far more effective than ranting nonstop on these boards.

Last edited:
I'm coming in way late on this one, but I have a simple question. Why couldn't SS hire a Chinese national to be a full-time "Production Quality Control Manager," or some such title? Their job would be to daily go to the factory (factories,) and inspect the product. 25K a year for some art school grad would be like winning the lottery, and it would be barely a blip on a SS spreadsheet.

I think I've said the same thing every year for the past 3 years. I stopped because I know they aren't listening. There is no way in hell there could be any SS representative present at the factory doing a source inspection and buying some of these failures off.

Back in the day, I was involved with DC Direct's statue product when it was being cast and painted in the US. The problem there was inconsistency, with some pieces in the same run being excellent, with just as many being sloppy. I remember the day I saw my first statue that was produced in China (Clay Moore's SHI,) and it blew me away. I went to three different locations in NYC to check the product, and they were all flawless. Shortly thereafter, the decision was made to send all of DCD's product to Asia. Even though costs dropped dramatically, DC held the line on retail price, which made DCD very profitable. Now we have statues that retail for hundreds of dollars, and they look about as good as what was coming out of the US in '95. That stuff was being painted by housewives, retirees, and the disabled, I kid you not.

Last edited:
Sideshow has become too big to care. Everyone knows them and wants their products, they know that the small percentage of us on forums or who actually take the time to email and call to complain are just that....a "small" percentage of their customer base.

5 years ago when they were just starting to hit their stride Sideshow would have addressed the concerns on a product with horrendous factory production personally on this forum or to the individual who sent them a message.

Now they don't HAVE to do that. Their products will still sell to people who have much lower standards in the quality department.

Sideshow has become too big to care. Everyone knows them and wants their products, they know that the small percentage of us on forums or who actually take the time to email and call to complain are just that....a "small" percentage of their customer base.

5 years ago when they were just starting to hit their stride Sideshow would have addressed the concerns on a product with horrendous factory production personally on this forum or to the individual who sent them a message.

Now they don't HAVE to do that. Their products will still sell to people who have much lower standards in the quality department.

I agree totally.since they sell out their
Products ,I don't see the reason to take us seriously.

Honestly, I'd love nothing more than for SS to step up their QC and get back to the way they were before. Sadly, it probably won't happen, but they could at least make an effort to keep the product quality at a level that matches the prices.

I must agree. The standard of QC in years past was excellent. Some of my favorite pieces were done 4-5yrs ago, but in the last couple years the quality has severely declined. It's gotten to the point where I play "wait and see" the make sure the pieces are done well before I commit to buy. Apparently SS must be making more volume than they can ensure the quality of. Whereas SS used to produce a total of around 500-700 of the Reg and EX combined, now they produce around 1200-2000 combined. I truly hope the QC improves to the standards SS used to have.

Question:Will Sideshow cover shipping costs for returns if the piece is broken?
I have a huge statue coming and it looks to be very fragile.

Question:Will Sideshow cover shipping costs for returns if the piece is broken?
I have a huge statue coming and it looks to be very fragile.

Yes.

In your case, they may just have you destroy it.

I think Sideshow was a company run by and for collectors. They were passionate and genuinely cared about the product the put out. Now, while still a good company, they are no where near as dedicated to producing the best possible products. The still make amazing prototypes, but half ass the final product a good portion of the time. The inconsistency in their stuff boggles the mind, one month you can get a flawless Gandalf premium format then literally the next month get a disastrous release plagued with tons of issues like the Spiderman com. Just when you think, "Oh ____, Sideshow is finally stepping it up!" Then, BAM!, you get the Spiderman fiasco. :duh

And they need a new paint factory.

I have been watching this thread and not intervened as I think it is a good outlet for discussion if used appropriately.

However, please do not post gif's or repeat lines for sarcams sake as this will just lead the thread to be closed.

If you cannot post something constructively, then don't post.
Thanks
x :peace

Last edited:
I have left this thread until now as I think it is a good outlet for discussion when used appropriately.

However, please do not post gif's or repeat lines for sarcams sake as this will just lead the thread to be closed.

If you cannot post something constructively, then don't post.
Thanks
x :peace

Thanks for leaving it open... :hi5:

the notion that SS has grown too big is bang on. Real competition is the only way things will change.

At this point, I won't order something with SS unless I like it so much that I'm willing to either deal with flaws or go through a month-long return process that's just as much of a gamble as the first order.

I've been spending more of my money on authentic autographs lately over collectibles.

Problem is that people still buy mediocre products. Look at the whole Indy DX issue. Likeness is way off amongst other things and way over priced, but you still have a lot of people that say in that thread that they'd buy it like that. Question should be "How dumb are we".

I think some people buy the character combined with size. I'm guilty of it. I bought the Cyclops PF even though I don't love the sculpt. I know the chances of another 1/4 scale cyclops is years off. So schlubs like me are guilty of buying an "inferior" sculpt. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back