How do you remove excess dried up glue from statues?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risingstar

Super Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone know the best way to remove excess dried up glue from statues without harming the paint job? A couple statues I purchased from Sideshow has some excess glue spots where the statues was glued on to the mat black base. While it isn't the end of the world, I'd still like to get rid of it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I come by this problem from time to time.

Thanks!

This is really hard to do. Basically you need to liquify the glue without liquifying the paint. You need to have a way to (quickly) heat up the glue without overheating the paint, and be quick enough to wipe out the excess glue off. But even the wiping off of the excessive glue might get smeared over the paint causing damage to a bigger area of the paint. I wouldn't recommend you doing it, since the chance of damaging the paint is too high.

I usually use a paint brush and lightly brush a thinning agent over the glue slowly, gently and very carefully. If you do it in thin layers, you might avoid removing the paint, but that's the risk.

Back