How do you keep the faith?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it ironic that Sideshow has relied more and more on "imports" of 1:6 figures? With the pre-order this week for the Medicom RAH Boba Fett and more Hot Toys Aliens and Predators that were announced at the Asia show which should be up for pre-order at Toy Fair, it seems they are just letting the competition do the work for them and are becoming more of a distributor. I mean, why bother putting the R&D into developing your own product when a company that specializes exclusively in high-end 1:6 figures can do the work for you, right?

gdb said:
So long as they import Hot Toys and Medicom, I'll be a customer. Well, if you consider paying the lowest price on the web for a piece that all SSC did was distribute as being a customer.

What piece would that be. I Have found the Hot Toys for much less elsewhere. Hell, its sad to think but I'm sure there's a lot of us that have bought Sideshow's own product elsewhere because of the savings. Besides just the apparent concentration of Sideshow only on sure fire money grabbers happening now, they may well have helped to price themselves out of other lines selling.
If they only count sales that come direct from them to decide which lines are viably selling, its not accurate. Anyone on a budget would buy a $40 figures for less if they were able. My ape army would be no where near as large if I had to only pay Sideshow's higher prices. Even now, there are still older figures on Sideshow's site "discounted" to prices still higher than available elsewhere.
I like Sideshow's stuff. They brought licenses to us that we never thought we'd see in 1:6 [still never saw an official cancellation for Happy Days either :monkey3 ] but they are still offering the same body that they originally had. Every other 1:6 figure has evolved. Outside of the original Captain Action, who didn't really survive long enough to evolve, I can't think of a figure that was distributed with disproportionate arms. A company like SSC should never have allowed a monkey armed Luke out of the gate. There's still many a discussion over Han's head. So, even with the money grabbing licenses, there's problems. We'll see what gets offered at Toy Fair. Maybe if they're moving out of 1:6 it will either afford us to save a few sheckles for the more detailed higher priced licenses of others OR maybe some of the smaller companies will rebound and surprise us.

Mr. Twos said:
The only thing I buy from Sideshow is 1/6 scale figures. If they stop making 1/6 scale than I am done with Sideshow. That doesn't mean I don't love Sideshow. It simply means they will not offer anything that meets my needs as a collector. I've tried to get into other things like statues but it never takes. I need articulation to be satisfied.

I agree with this as well. I love Sideshow but if there aren't any more 1/6 figures than I'm out. I think the SW line is a veritable cash cow and they'll be milking it for awhile. But my guess is once that line dries up (which probably won't be for a good many years) they may be kaput when it comes 1/6.

And I can't completely blame them... I mean why make and put R&D into a 1/6 Jason that sells 3,000-4,000 units or Ape that sells less than 500 when you can sell 10,000+ figures of Luke?

galactiboy said:
I agree with this as well. I love Sideshow but if there aren't any more 1/6 figures than I'm out. I think the SW line is a veritable cash cow and they'll be milking it for awhile. But my guess is once that line dries up (which probably won't be for a good many years) they may be kaput when it comes 1/6.

And I can't completely blame them... I mean why make and put R&D into a 1/6 Jason that sells 3,000-4,000 units or Ape that sells less than 500 when you can sell 10,000+ figures of Luke?

All hail the smaller companies that, as long as they stay afloat, bring the long overdue figures of yesteryear to us.
:fireworks :fest :fireworks

Ironman1188 said:
All hail the smaller companies that, as long as they stay afloat, bring the long overdue figures of yesteryear to us.
:fireworks :fest :fireworks

Too bad most wait for close-out prices before buying :rolleyes:

Back