How do you handle shipping cost? (Int. Collectors)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GE 7

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I am a collector from Saudi Arabia and my main constrain in this hobby is the shipping costs because shipping directly to Saudi is not an option in most of the cases and we don't have any collectors/hobbies/comic shops over here so I use a freight forwarding company to forward my shipments from the US to Saudi and it costs $18 per LB, and now you can understand why I don't have any Hulk or Juggernaut statues :lol

Like the classic Bowen Punisher 1/6 that I bought a few months back for $120 and the shipping cost were $58.

What about you? how do you manage your shipping costs? do you have any solution that can help a fellow international collector?

Even without using a forwarding company, I'm afraid high international shipping costs is just something we have to suck up.

It generally means you have to be sure it's an item you really want, since once you factor in all your costs, if you ever want to sell it, your going to take a fair loss in most cases.

shipping costs are standard, don't really have that much of a problem with them if I want something even though it's pretty high.
Custom fees, those are incredible annoying...

Just have to pay up unfortunately. Luckily I avoid customs fees for the most part.

you have to be sure it's an item you really want, since once you factor in all your costs, if you ever want to sell it, your going to take a fair loss in most cases.

And you have to triple check the seller because if there is something wrong with it you will pay through your nose to return it.

shipping costs are standard, don't really have that much of a problem with them if I want something even though it's pretty high.
Custom fees, those are incredible annoying...

WOW, Customs & shipping! but how much is the shipping cost "per pound" to your country?

Just have to pay up unfortunately. Luckily I avoid customs fees for the most part.

For sure we have it, but how do you try to minimize it?

It's just part of the hobby unfortunately.

I hate to say... you are right...

High shipping cost is only half of the problem for collectors living not in the USA / Canada / EU. USPS (which in nost cases is the only reasonable way to ship) has a 79" maximum limitation for length-and-girth of packages shipped to many countries. And plenty of 1/4 scale statues are bigger than that. So, many US retailers and eBayers just don't ship such statues to us... If anyone invents a way to bypass this annoying limitation (at a reasonable cost), please let me know!

WOW, Customs & shipping! but how much is the shipping cost "per pound" to your country?

I have no idea. It all depends on the country of origin I guess.

Example:
Lady Death PF, ~5kg, ~35$ shipping, ~100$ import fees.
The low shipping is purely because SSC got a deal with FedEx...

Marvel VS Capcom Hardcover book, ~2-3kg (it's a guess but it's probably around this), ~50$ shipping.

I used to have a list regarding why is hard to be a Romanian collector:

- very few people understand your hobby
- problems with paypal (they ask Eastern Europeans to open US Bank accounts or limit the amount of money one can send/receive through paypal)
- problems with ebay (because of paypal)
- huge shipping quotes because of international transport costs
- 24% VAT tax
- budgetary salaries lowered by 25% due to crisis, this measure affecting all teachers, doctors, police, etc.
- customs charges (they tax the shipping cost too, thus is like a tax on a tax)
- problems with people thinking everyone from Eastern Europe is a thief
- foreign stores that don't ship to Romania
- no sci-fi or comic conventions
- no Star Wars toys/collectibles or rarely a few Star Wars toys/collectibles in local stores
- 99% of the trades/buying are happening outside the country

And the list can go on and on...

here (Belgium) the most important are taxes (custom taxes are tiny, but VAT & the shipping company's own taxes) are big, ranging from 30 to 50% of the price of the item + shipping.

..but that's when you don't know how to buy. Different countries & different shipping methods can reduce the taxes to nearly nothing, or nothing (hint: buy from Hong Kong if you're in europe).

I have also my own ways of getting the collectibles, and rarely paid VAT or taxes on them - except the shipping costs. But a regular fan from my country would have to pay them.

I used to have a list regarding why is hard to be a Romanian collector

That's a lot of reasons, actually sometimes I think if it would be any different if I knew these complications before I start my collection? would I avoid this hobby and try another "less expensive" one? I don't think this is possible :lol

So, nobody have any tips on how to reduce these crazy shipping costs and taxes?

I think it's a great business idea for an American who can help managing the international collectors shipments and forward it to them in such a way that make them avoid taxes, I would really be interested in dealing with someone who can provide me with this service.

Start collecting 1/6 figure's & buy from Hong Kong venders. Most if you ask them (they usually do anyway) to mark it low you will avoid custom fee's & shipping is very reasonable, well it is to the UK anyway.

Anything bigger like Premium Formats then chances are your going to have to suck it up pay

I think it's a great business idea for an American who can help managing the international collectors shipments and forward it to them in such a way that make them avoid taxes, I would really be interested in dealing with someone who can provide me with this service.

Actually there are forwarding companies providing you a "virtual" USA address (mailbox), where you can ship items bought from retailers or eBayers or whatever. They receive all these parcels, combine them and ship directly to you. Some of them ship via USPS, some have their own shipping channels. They are charging a fee, of course, but normally not too much. On the other hand, you can save on combined shipments, and they also give you an opportunity to fill customs declarations yourself, which lets you save on taxes. Just do some search, and you will surely find some forwarding companies working with your country.

I deal with high shipping costs by paying for high shipping costs.

Thank you, thank you very much ! :D

Back