How do you feel about Hot Toys doing second runs of Vader, Chewie, Han and Obi-Wan?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only people pissed about this are people buying for investment and not being a fan of the fandom, scalpers and users with huge narcissistic egos making it all about me, only me, me, me, me, me, me, me, only me, only me!

I collect figures, statues, props, even sneakers, not for their investment value or even if they are limited I collect them cause I'm a fan.

I own a very limited edition 1/1 scale Assault Rifle from District 9 made by Weta and worth $1000+ in the after market.
If tomorrow Weta decides to reissue the AR even as a raw kit, I wouldn't be mad but be happy that others who missed are now able to get one.
And that's what a community is about

And I'm glad Sideshow and Hot Toys is super greedy, cause its helping out people who missed out

also, some of you so called collectors must have so much stuff with "Limited Edition" from star wars, to barbies to beanie babies to stamps, to coins, to spoons, to sneakers, to actual cars

throw "limited edition" on anything and you make millions

They will never be common because only weirdos pony up $250 for action dolls

WxhuFz.gif

Well. One could say, only weirdos DON'T pony up $250 for cool action dolls.

How do I feel?

Utterly stoked!!! Was actually watching Obi-Wan's prices escalate on EBay and coming to terms with the fact I'll probably never own Han or Chewie....
Now I have a chance.

It's not only about availability either though. It's about pacing....I just can't afford to slap €200+ per figure on several figures at certain times of the year. Christmas, birthdays and family vacations also demand cash and these kind of prices are tough enough to justify to the grown ups in our lives at the best of times.

Over here in Sweden I can now pre-order Kenobi for arrival September for what is realistically about €100 less than he is presently selling for on eBay - and THAT is a result!

Also means I can budget for the other figures I totally need!

Now....about those stormtroopers....
TBH they could re-release them every week and they would still sell out.

I'm more than happy, I've only just started collecting, so these re issues would be great news for me.

Hot toys are also adding new collectibles from the original trilogy, so really, who's going to start collecting the figures if they can't get Han or Chewie?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This line gets more and more reminiscent of Kenner... Now they're basically keeping the whole line in circulation like Kenner used to.

Huh, what? Lol! You guys are hilarious.
Firstly, you american's stop panicking impatiently and buying them out internationally. You guys keep doing that and I end up paying through the nose in shipping it back from the US. Missed Obi-wan, and happy for another chance if it's true. Hopefully this will drive prices back down for a standard Hot Toy release. The only reason they keep increasing is testing how much we are willing to pay, coz they saw how we get desperate and outbid each other.

I don't actually see that many people against a re-release, and it just feels like the stigma associated with buying an expensive toy. I think there are far more fans willing to pick these up that we've never given the chance to see these toys. It's cool to see these in store, and have some kid try and save up for these.

I also want Canadaclone to have more stormtroopers.

How do I feel?

Utterly stoked!!! Was actually watching Obi-Wan's prices escalate on EBay and coming to terms with the fact I'll probably never own Han or Chewie....
Now I have a chance.

It's not only about availability either though. It's about pacing....I just can't afford to slap €200+ per figure on several figures at certain times of the year. Christmas, birthdays and family vacations also demand cash and these kind of prices are tough enough to justify to the grown ups in our lives at the best of times.

Over here in Sweden I can now pre-order Kenobi for arrival September for what is realistically about €100 less than he is presently selling for on eBay - and THAT is a result!

Also means I can budget for the other figures I totally need!

Now....about those stormtroopers....
TBH they could re-release them every week and they would still sell out.

Totally agree. The Dec/Jan Oz releases of Han, Chewie & Luke plus a Leia pre-order really made getting Obi-Wan impossible for me. I was coming to terms with just not having him on the shelf, then...ta-dah! Popcultcha had him re-listed the other day, so I paid a pre-order deposit on the spot with some Popcultcha Pennies to soften the blow. ETA is June, so it's birthday cash to pay him off. Lovin' it!

Oh yeah, that's exactly why I missed Obi-wan too, all at once is hard to keep up. No TFA for me yet at all. If staggered properly, I could easily have been buying one a month. These coulda been like the new replacement to comic subscriptions.

Oh yeah, that's exactly why I missed Obi-wan too, all at once is hard to keep up. No TFA for me yet at all. If staggered properly, I could easily have been buying one a month. These coulda been like the new replacement to comic subscriptions.

Yeah, I've had to be strong and keep to the OT, otherwise it's just too much for me (so tempted by Rey and Kylo Ren). I'm loving all the releases from ANH though. I grew up with the original Kenner toys and these give me the same sense of awe I felt back then. Good times!

the only people pissed about this are people buying for investment and not being a fan of the fandom, scalpers and users with huge narcissistic egos making it all about me, only me, me, me, me, me, me, me, only me, only me!

I collect figures, statues, props, even sneakers, not for their investment value or even if they are limited I collect them cause I'm a fan.

Exactly. These things are not for investing your hard earned money into, for that there are other options. Buy the collectibles you really like, and buy for yourself, not for what it might bring you a couple years later. You won't get rich selling Hot Toys figures from your collection. Enjoy this hobby for what it is. There is a balance in life, you sell an item for more money, but in the end you might have to buy another for a similar high price.

In my 26 years of official collecting, I have never met another one of me in real life.

I've met three. One is a more selective, "just the favourites" collector like me, one is a crazy completist (by his own admission) and one is more like the common, standard-issue, Detolf-Full-of-Dolls kind of freak you'd see here.

I have never walked into someone's home and seen a detolf full of action figures.

To be fair, i don't do that myself, but still.

I wouldn't worry too much about a reissue of some dolls.

I only care about quality. They could crank these out all year long and I wouldn't care how many or how available they were.

I don't know anyone who collects sneakers either, but I see a **** load of people line up to pay 1K for a pair of shoes they'll never wear.
Eh , bad example. I know a few. One buys every pair of Nike produced. She has like 50 pairs.

I know 2 HT collectors locally. I think if HT sees the re issue market take off we will see alot more inferior products. I can see the mind set, they want to capture a larger Market share and do less into R&D. Essentially stretch out the investments they make in a single sculpt. That SW license must have cost them alot more than I thought.

Glad everyone is happy . I see this as another example of a high quality product turning mass produced. That has never turned out well. Knowing these will be endlessly produced makes the initial value of the figure drop to about 150 for me. I guess I am not a total purist collector, I don't like buying things at exorbitant prices knowing there are warehouses full of them somewhere.....

It's another production run, not an endless production. I can't bland HT for seeing the amount of money people make on eBay selling their products and wanting it for themselves instead.

I overpaid slightly to get Han, Chewie, and Ben aftermarket when they started getting crazy cause I sat on the fence too long and missed the original chance to buy them form SS. I'm still fine with this ultimately. Would even love to see SS do some reruns of their older stuff, especially the animals.

First, I'm so glad that I got the exclusive 2-pack when I did. Second, I don't mind the idea of issuing more. It's a very cool set that people should have access to if they missed out. I'm not a re-seller, so the huge second market prices don't really mean beans to me. Just my .02

It's another production run, not an endless production. I can't bland HT for seeing the amount of money people make on eBay selling their products and wanting it for themselves instead.

Ya but why not just sell more to begin with. It's Star Wars. It's HT. Why release them all at once (so people have to choose which ones to buy) then after they sell out, sit on the fact that they will be releasing them again in the near future. Pre-order I think it's called? Just put them back up for preorder! Instead it feels like they waited a bit to see what the "demand" was on Secondary market first. Drive everyone a little mad trying to collect all these figures at once. I own all the OT figures HT has produced so far (leia & vader on pre-order) and have bought them all in their first run except Obi wan. Less than 2 weeks ago I kicked myself for not purchasing origibally but at that time my wallet was dried up. So i jumped in thinking this was goin to be my last shot at getting him for a reasonable price "350"! Not two weeks later he's realeased again. Like HT didn't know they were going to do this? I call BS.

Now I did pick up HT Vader with the glitch for 200 plus shipping so it balances out right? If I sound bitter then re-read this with ur infliction goin up at the end of evey sentence.

Exactly. These things are not for investing your hard earned money into, for that there are other options. Buy the collectibles you really like, and buy for yourself, not for what it might bring you a couple years later. You won't get rich selling Hot Toys figures from your collection. Enjoy this hobby for what it is. There is a balance in life, you sell an item for more money, but in the end you might have to buy another for a similar high price.

:exactly:

I never buy these figures with the intent of reselling them down the road. Sure I may sell one here and there simply to make space or for other reasons, but it's never with the intent to make a buck off of it. I buy them because I like the films that they appear in and I like the characters. As I've stated somewhere before, they're also great entertainment whenever I have company over. People recognize and like these films as well, so they usually spend 5-10 minutes just looking at my collection and spotting their favorite characters from movies that they also like.

And yeah, I think that was/is the issue with the SW figure run. They came out in the masses from essentially two different films all at once, so it made it hard to keep up with. We got inundated with them.

:exactly:

I never buy these figures with the intent of reselling them down the road. Sure I may sell one here and there simply to make space or for other reasons, but it's never with the intent to make a buck off of it. I buy them because I like the films that they appear in and I like the characters. As I've stated somewhere before, they're also great entertainment whenever I have company over. People recognize and like these films as well, so they usually spend 5-10 minutes just looking at my collection and spotting their favorite characters from movies that they also like.

And yeah, I think that was/is the issue with the SW figure run. They came out in the masses from essentially two different films all at once, so it made it hard to keep up with. We got inundated with them.

It took me awhile to decide if I wanted to get into this line but the Popcultcha price glitch last year got me to buy them all (OT only). It did seem they released them quickly which is why I stayed away plus Star Wars can be a slippery slope.

Back