How could Old Ben be so wrong?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who are complaining about the scene what was he supposed to tell Luke?

Everything he says is true. Obi-wan had to convince himself he wasn't going after Anakin, but Darth Vader(even if he didn't know his sith name). How do you justify hunting your best friend?
He knew anakin well enough that if he could have had a child he would have passed the lightsabre on.

I hate these discussions so why am I chiming in.

and while I'm at it. Love ewoks and don't hate Jar jar.

Up until the release of ROTJ Lucas maintained there would be nine films.

Then a year or two after Jedi Lucas says there won't be a 7,8, or 9.

Count me among those who will never believe there's a master plan.

Up until the release of ROTJ Lucas maintained there would be nine films.

Then a year or two after Jedi Lucas says there won't be a 7,8, or 9.

Count me among those who will never believe there's a master plan.

Not only did he say no 7,8 and 9... he also said no 1, 2 and 3.

He was done with Star Wars. Tired of it. Old news. He wanted to get going on Howard the Duck and Willow.

Not only did he say no 7,8 and 9... he also said no 1, 2 and 3.

He was done with Star Wars. Tired of it. Old news. He wanted to get going on Howard the Duck and Willow.

:pfft:
MV5BMTA0Mjc0NzExNzBeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDEzMzQ3MDI@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Yoda was wrong as well!

One of my favorites! :lol

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350" data="https://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="https://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf"/><param name="FlashVars" value="id=8a250aae254a030401254bff3c86004f" /><embed src="https://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" FlashVars="id=8a250aae254a030401254bff3c86004f" allowFullScreen="true" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

He knew anakin well enough that if he could have had a child he would have passed the lightsabre on.

Except for the fact that Jedi were portrayed as monk type with all personal attachments being given up including loved ones. Up until the end if you listen to the dialogue on Mustafar, Obi-Wan thought Anakin was a Jedi through and through which means no girlfriend, wife or kid. Even after the events of ROTS Obi-Wan felt betrayed by Anakin and so at minimum wouldn't have said he "knew" him.

It's a mistake that was made because of the prequels plain and simple. We can choose to ignore it which in reality is best since the OT doesn't fully connect as we have seen in the examples in this thread but it doesn't make it not there.

Except for the fact that Jedi were portrayed as monk type with all personal attachments being given up including loved ones. Up until the end if you listen to the dialogue on Mustafar, Obi-Wan thought Anakin was a Jedi through and through which means no girlfriend, wife or kid.

Before going to Mustafar Ben had figured out Padme's baby was Anakin's. He confirmed it when speaking with her for the last time.

Right so in the travel time from Coruscant to Mustafar he was in his ship going....you know....Anakin would want his child to have his lightsaber eventually.....

It's a stretch beyond belief, one that is best left ignored.

Oh there's no getting around the "Your father wanted you to have this" is pulled out of his butt. Another example of the prequels not lining up with the OT.

IMHO the PT is about as cannon as the EU.

My biggest issue with senile Old Ben is how the hell does he not know there is another? Fool was there at the birth.:gah::slap

One of my problems with the PT is how do the Jedi not know Padme is preggers with Anakin's baby? They freakin' live together. So much for the secret marriage!

I did notice quite a few of these things Old Ben said when I watched them recently. and well I just sit there, laugh and move on.

I wondered why Lucas didn't make those points align but I like the way things ended in EP3 so I just brush off what he says in the OT

Whatever.

Star Wars is a six film story. Live with it.

:goodpost:

PT are my favorite. And yes I saw the OT first and loved those until all prequel films came out. Obi-wan is my favorite Jedi and well alive Obi-wan is a lot better to watch than dead "one with the force" Obi-wan

One of my problems with the PT is how do the Jedi not know Padme is preggers with Anakin's baby? They freakin' live together. So much for the secret marriage!

quite interesting thread but lets be honest - lucas never thought that 30odd years later grown men would spent a ridiculous amount of time debating the film on a meduim that didnt exist at the time :monkey1

as for padme - the suggestions seems to be that its fine to bump uglies just dont get attached- i guess the jedi were big on one night stands!!:yess:

How could Old Ben be so wrong?

“He betrayed and murdered your father” – WRONG!

Well That's explained in ROTJ, but I think the reason it's in ANH is because Lucas had not decided on Vader being Luke's father until Empire

“I haven’t gone by the name Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born.” – WRONG!
Well he went to Tatooine not long after. Give the old boy a break, what's he supposed to say? "Oh I have not gone by that name since I brought you here when you a few days old"
“I don’t remember ever owning a droid.” – WRONG! (whether he ‘owned’ one or not, he had many of them)
Well you sort answered you own question, he never owned one, but he had to work along side them all the time (It's pretty unavoidable in the Star Wars Universe) but it's never mentioned that R4 belongs to him. It most likely belongs to the Republic

"your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough; but your uncle wouldn't allow it." -- WRONG!

Well Originally Owen was meant to be Ben's brother, and did not approve of the Jedi ways, but Lucas scrapped that. I will give you that Anakin never knew about Luke so he would never said that he wanted Luke to have had it. I guess Ben would have thought that a good Anakin would have given it to his son (truth from a certain point of view) but Owen did not want Luke to be a Jedi, because of the obvious
So the greatest hero in the greatest Saga ever is left to become a blathering idiot in the movie that started it all. A new generation of kids sees Old Ben as nothing more than a detriment; they must be saying: “get that old coot outta there, he knows nothing!”

What say you, new generation?

My answers above

I will also point out that the problems with this not making sense to the rest of the story has NOTHING to do with the prequels at all.

It has to do with Lucas making Vader Luke's father in Empire, and Ben's speech in ROTJ

In ROTJ Ben said that Luke was hidden straight after he was born, so Anakin never knew he had a son. So he would have never said to Ben "give Luke this Lightsaber".

I have the answer.

In 1977, Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker (simply known as Luke's father) were two different people.

Vader did betray and murder Anakin Skywalker. Anakin did want Luke to have his lightsaber when he was old enough. Etc.

They needed a twist, Lucas had that whole "father/son" concept in an early draft so they changed things up for Empire. Good thing too, it's one of the most iconic moments in movie history.

But anyway, as far as Star Wars in 1977 goes, Anakin and Vader were two separate characters. Obi-Wan wasn't lying, Alec Guinness wasn't playing him as if he was keeping something from Luke, and Vader was just that, Vader no relation to Luke.

DiFabio is on the money here.

The original script for Empire Strikes back did NOT have Vader as Luke's father:

https://mishkanyc.com/bloglin/2010/03/27/original-leigh-brackett-script-for-empire-strikes-back/

Now I know what many of you will say: this original script was written by Leah Brackett FOR George Lucas. Lucas didn't like it, so he scrapped it and wrote a new script where Vader was Luke's father. Of course, if Lucas had always intended that Vader be Luke's father, then he would have TOLD Brackett that critical plot point and she would have put it in the script!

Brackett passed away in March 1978, shortly after turning in the script. Even if we give credence to these alleged Prowse interviews from December 1978 where he supposedly reveals that Vader is Luke's father, that still leaves plenty of time between Lucas' rewriting of Brackett's script and Prowse's interview.

It is apparent that Lucas had his moment of inspiration about the father/son thing sometime in early 1978, NOT before writing A New Hope (which wasn't even called Episode IV: A New Hope when it came out. It was just called "Star Wars" when it played in the theaters.)

I have even seen an early version of the Obi Wan/Vader fight where Obi Wan, a non-suit wearing Vader, and Anakin Skywalker fight along the edge of a volcano. Anakin sacrifices himself by throwing himself and Vader into the volcano. Obi-Wan waits anxiously by the edge, to see if anyone will emerge, but then flees when he senses the Emperor approaching. The scene ends with Vader's charred hand rising from the volcano.

If you watch A New Hope, there's absolutely nothing there to indicate that Lucas intended to make Vader Luke's father or the central character in the story. As redlettermedia said, Vader was like a Nazi SS officer. He'd go in and bust things up and let you know the Empire meant business. He was not SPACE JESUS!

He was like an over glorified storm trooper. He was a foot taller than the storm troopers, wore all black instead of all white, used a light saber instead of a blaster. But he still took orders from Grand Moff Tarkin and accompanied general infantry in the space-jet battles. There's absolutely nothing in the first movie to indicate that Lucas intended him to be the nexus of the entire saga.

Back