How concerned should I be about dust?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oily enough for them to be ruined after 6 months, sadly. My volunteer work results in very sweaty hands. :lol

Also never use cotton gloves on rubber, it pulls the dust out and can actually leave some white threads behind.

I believe cotton gloves are used because they're soft and won't leave eventual scratches on old, fragile artifacts. Rubber gloves are to prevent dirt, cotton to prevent damage. :peace

Oh, that's a good point aboutthe rubber. Didn't think about that...

Either wash your hands before touching the statues and use that hand sanitizer gel stuff.
Or what i do is use powder free latex glove.
Also i use a soft make up brush , also be carefull with compressed air as if not shaken properly or held at the wrong angle all white stuff comes out and leaves sort of frost burn marks on your stuff.

Also i would me more concerned about air freshner sprays and what not.
As i used to have mt endoskull on top of my cabinet and even thought stuff was never sprayed by it , the air carried the particles and left little blotches on it which can ruin your stuff.

how serious is it dust/fingerprints, if ive got a $2000 statue will it really damage it over time? Or only to an extent if im obsessive about it, (which im not)

how serious is it dust/fingerprints, if ive got a $2000 statue will it really damage it over time? Or only to an extent if im obsessive about it, (which im not)

Well how much do you handle it?
As there is no real need to constantly touch them.
Also constant handling can result in the oils from your hands getting under the paint and lifting it off also it can bleach the paint itself.
Also depends if the surface is high gloss like iron man as you will see finger prints and then dust can stick to the finger prints.
That would bug me that much i would loose sleep over it SERIOUSLY!
But if your not too bothered then it does not really matter.

Back