How concerned should I be about dust?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoggieDoc

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I did some searching and didn't find any great information about this, so thought I would check with others. I display all of my collectibles (mostly Hot Toys) in the open, either on the mantle of my fireplace (Iron Man collection) or in a couple of custom book cases I put together (Batman and Avengers Collections). Though the figures in the bookcases are a little less prone to dust, none of them are completely protected. There is no sunlight even remotely close to these guys, but I am starting to wonder how concerned I should be about the dust.

I do make it a point to keep things relatively clean, but after checking the dust accumulation I started seeing on one of my Avengers pieces, I started to worry a bit. If necessary I can enclose the face of the book cases with glass, but I really don't feel like putting my mantle pieces in cases as I think it would look tacky. Anyone have any input on dust? If it's not a big deal, what does everyone use to clean your figures to avoid accumulation and scratches from wiping with cloth or using dusters? I have seen others mention using the compressed air, but I worry a bit about just spraying dust around. Thanks guys:)!

P.S. I don't use the classic Detolfs because there is NO Ikea in my area and shipping them is insanely expensive, and they aren't tall enough for where I have my displays anyway, just in case anyone is wondering!

I don't let dust bother me ever 2 weeks I take my models off the shelf as I currently don't have a glass cabinet..... I use a mini USB hover to clean the dust it works a treat :)

I don't let dust bother me ever 2 weeks I take my models off the shelf as I currently don't have a glass cabinet..... I use a mini USB hover to clean the dust it works a treat :)

Hmm, mini vaccum... sounds interesting! Does it have any sort of attachment like a brush or anything or does it just straight up suck the dust off? Right now I just use a (supposedly) non abrasive synthetic duster. It has very fine, whispy bristles and works via static electricity to pull the dust off with only light contact to the figure itself.

Hmm, mini vaccum... sounds interesting! Does it have any sort of attachment like a brush or anything or does it just straight up suck the dust off? Right now I just use a (supposedly) non abrasive synthetic duster. It has very fine, whispy bristles and works via static electricity to pull the dust off with only light contact to the figure itself.

It has brushes and a little thing under that sucks it works really well it's not to strong and not too weak it gets the dust off really well this cost £2.00 which is like $1.00 aha.

You dust your figures every 2 weeks and your worried about dust accumulation? :dunno

I use a long bristled make up, blusher, brush pinched off the wife.

I guess what I meant was is it a big deal that they accumulate some dust that is then removed in whatever way. I was more concerned about the possibility of scratches and the technique to remove the dust is all.

I would say glass up the shelves...that's just my opinion...I hate dusting...I would hate it even more if I had to clean my Collectibles every 2 weeks...not to mention our hands have harmful oils...not sure how much it would hurt the figs or how long it would take to damage the figs...but I wouldn't wanna chance it...

My collection is on the link below for examples on how I set mine up

I agree I have ordered a glass cabinet not a detolf it's bigger and better so waiting for that too come through.

I would say glass up the shelves...that's just my opinion...I hate dusting...I would hate it even more if I had to clean my Collectibles every 2 weeks...not to mention our hands have harmful oils...not sure how much it would hurt the figs or how long it would take to damage the figs...but I wouldn't wanna chance it...

My collection is on the link below for examples on how I set mine up

If you're worried about oils on your hands, get some rubber gloves. My figures are in glass cabinets, statues aren't, dust them once or twice a month with a combination of a cloth and brush, works fine.

I believe museum curators wear soft cotton white gloves when handling old artifacts... I guess if you're really **** about it those would be the ones to get? Much more comfortable than rubber.

I believe museum curators wear soft cotton white gloves when handling old artifacts... I guess if you're really **** about it those would be the ones to get? Much more comfortable than rubber.

True... but being a vet, I have unlimited access to rubber gloves:rotfl. Nah, I agree, if I were to wear gloves it would be soft ones, but I am not sure if I will go that far.

I read somewhere latex can have oils in it...

cotton is less abrasive and less sticky.
Prevents the oil transfer effectively (you can wash them)
More comfortable to wear for longer times

I've worn the latex though because I have them handy in my toolbox but generally I don't worry about it... Maybe because I used to think I was going to keep stuff forever and I sold it ALL lol.
Now I think I'm going to keep the new stuff I replaced it with forever though heheh.

Ok, so new question, then... best way to clean 16th scale figures? Namely guys like the Iron Man line, which have such shiny, clear coated paints. I want to avoid scratches but be able to remove fingerprints effectively.

Geez man, just how oily are your hands? ;)

Oily enough for them to be ruined after 6 months, sadly. My volunteer work results in very sweaty hands. :lol

Also never use cotton gloves on rubber, it pulls the dust out and can actually leave some white threads behind.

I believe cotton gloves are used because they're soft and won't leave eventual scratches on old, fragile artifacts. Rubber gloves are to prevent dirt, cotton to prevent damage. :peace

Ok, so new question, then... best way to clean 16th scale figures? Namely guys like the Iron Man line, which have such shiny, clear coated paints. I want to avoid scratches but be able to remove fingerprints effectively.

Get a glass case?:faq:Flush:banana:dumbo::joy:naughty:elefant:lsvader

Canned air would be your best bet for dust. It'll be tough to get fingerprints off cleanly of such a shiny material, but a soft cloth like the ones for glasses should work. It's chrome you should be careful with, like Cap America's shield.

Back