1/6 Hot Toys Wolf Predator 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply about the better Preds! So plus and minuses to all them, no real home fun.

I have a classic that I’ve adorned with diff Pred pieces I bought cheap on EBay. Really wanted the City Hunter. Don’t hear too much about that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's pluses and minuses to almost every figure, but the Preds listed tend to be the ones that have the overwhelmingly more positives than negatives. The AvP ones are probably the ones that come closest to being a home run. As far as CH goes, it's a nice figure also. Just needs a better bio-mask and plasmacaster for it to look its best. The stock ones hold it back.

Some stupendous shots in that video.

And what's up with the lower mandibles showing on the bottom of the mask? Looks really weird.

EDIT - Upon checking the proto pics, it shows the same thing which I didn't noticed before.

Isn’t that kind of how it was though?

DZ34t_AWkAAvrzQ.jpg

Yeah, that's something I noticed in DK's review. The front dreads don't seem to hang naturally in front of his shoulders; you seemingly have to kind of pull them forward over his shoulders, thus causing them to have more a curl to them and look like they're forced to sit in front of his shoulders.

It's that light rubber. They'd probably be better off just going with plastic like NECA does. Of course that's what we also say about ED-209's dome and their Alien figures. Hot Toy's need to differentiate themselves and be more ''high-end'' isn't always to the benefit of the figure.

There's the worry, often justified, about deterioration AND a case like this where typical toy plastic would carry off the look better.

It's that light rubber. They'd probably be better off just going with plastic like NECA does. Of course that's what we also say about ED-209's dome and their Alien figures. Hot Toy's need to differentiate themselves and be more ''high-end'' isn't always to the benefit of the figure.

There's the worry, often justified, about deterioration AND a case like this where typical toy plastic would carry off the look better.

Yeah, it’s sort of the same argument people make between sculpted and rooted hair on human figures. Though I think there’s more benefit behind the rubber dreads on Predators than there is rooted hair on human figures; however, it still does have its pros and cons.

The cons are for sure potential deterioration, and also the fact that as I’ve mentioned before, the rubber dreadlocks look slightly too thick for true 1/6 scale, which I think aids in giving the illusion that there aren’t as many dreads as there should be. Whenever you see the Preds in 1/1 the dreads are thinner, thus it looking like there’s more of them, because there is.

The main pro though I think is that you can style the dreads to hang in any way you want whenever you turn the sculpt to look in a particular direction, as opposed to having the style of the dreads preset for you regardless of which way you turn the head if they were sculpted.

But yeah, regarding HT, I do sometimes think they try and reinvent the wheel as opposed to just sticking with what is practical and has worked before, and often times, still works.

True, some NECA Predators kinda have predetermined dread-positioning due to a big bulky shoulder cannon and shoulder cannon-mount - Jungle Hunter namely, who I wish could have his dreads hanging more freely in front of both shoulders for the unmasking scene - you kinda have to fake it by bending them forward on his left shoulder.

That wouldn't be a problem for Wolf though - his cannons mount more on his back rather than up on his shoulder so the dreads aren't really impeded.

Even in the homeworld scene, wow. I'm starting to think he was never missing a pupil in that eye and we've just been misguided by inaccurate collectibles.

c7bcc9865772e65cd97e01aaf4a5e935.jpg

AVPR-_Wolf2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

If you look at the concept art (illustrations and paintings) in the book "Inside the Monster Shop" by Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff, they show him with a white eye, so it may have been intended and never was applied in the film itself.

Even in the homeworld scene, wow. I'm starting to think he was never missing a pupil in that eye and we've just been misguided by inaccurate collectibles.

c7bcc9865772e65cd97e01aaf4a5e935.jpg

AVPR-_Wolf2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Pretty sure they used at least two heads(masks/faces). That first one you posted seems to be the stunt and shot-from-afar mask. While closer up shots, including the home-planet reveal, is the hero face. Similar to City Hunter and its multiple heads/masks.

I'm okay with this figure being somewhat of a middle ground of both head versions, but would've preferred the bright iris myself.

I've noticed that too - it looks like Wolf has 2 different faces, my guess is because his onset costume version and CGI version differ from when he turns around from his chair. I feel like his eye was intended to be white but I think it was because of lack of detail from the crew possibly, I mean the film didn't turn out so great so that would be my assumption.

Am I the only one who thinks the bio mask shrunk? And what's up with the lower mandibles showing on the bottom of the mask? Looks really weird.

EDIT - Upon checking the proto pics, it shows the same thing which I didn't noticed before.

Yes, a design choice that's always bothered me. With other biomasks being vaccum sealed in place, it makes no sense that the bottom of Wolf's mask doesn't have a lip, let alone doesn't cover all of the bottom of his jaw. It's like that in the movie - so it's accurate, but, yeah, silly.

They didn’t use any CGI head for that movie. It was 100% practical.

You sure? The scene where his seat turns and when he roars isn't cgi? If it isn't I just wanted to point out that his face is different from that scene compared to the other scenes. Thanks for informing me though.

Soo...my first experience with 4k uploads on youtube...damn took this long, processing time alone on youtube (after the file was up already) to have 4k ready was roughly 3 hours. I hope it's worth it:

And some photos for those that have not seen them yet from my FB page:

001.png

041.png

018.png

036.png

048.png

042.png

062.png

002.png

051.png

038.png

063.png

047.png

The profile view shows IMO how inaccurate the previous mask was - it's protruding too much:
050.png

More than 30 other images also on my website - all cleaner kit pieces in comparison shots:
https://www.xenom0rph.com/2019/01/hot-toys-wolf-predator-heavy-weaponry.html

Man this figure is just a letdown. HT making all these mistakes on simple ass things that you shouldn't be even able to **** up on. The shoulder cannon issue, the mask tubes, the pistol inaccuracy, the crappy hair, lack of hands and mandibles. I mean sheesh it's like they just did it as lazy as possible. Just quick and done.

In all fairness, it does seem many of these “inaccuracies” a lot of people think they’re making, are actually indeed accurate (at least in some scenes). For instance, the mesh on the eyes of the bio-mask, the pupil in the left eye, and the jaw showing beneath the bio-mask.

There are indeed nitpicks, but in my opinion they’re just that: nitpicks. The overwhelming majority of figures have them, seldom is anything ever perfect. The figure is far from a letdown in my opinion. If some of these nitpicks that people pick out on figures prevents one from getting it, I personally think they probably didn’t want it in the first place. To each their own though.

And I agree about the bio-mask on the CK version. Protrudes out way too much, and hangs down past the face. HW bio-mask fits way more accurately to my eye based on what I’ve seen in screen shots.

As you can see in the side profile of xenomorph's pics, I think what's making the mask small is it isn't too wide to cover the side of the face. Pshop'd the side profile shot and added some dreads and widened the mask to see what it would look like.

k15qq1.jpg

Last edited:
^ You addressed none of the issues i mentioned. I talked about real issues with the figure not inaccuracy. The only inaccuracy i have issue with is the pistol, as they have ass backwards. The hair also is just ridiculously bad, they did much better on the scar and celtic. They were nice medium length and hung perfectly. The last time they made the dreads this short was the P2 elder 2.0.

As you can see in the side profile of xenomorph's pics, I think what's making the mask small is it isn't too wide to cover the side of the face. Pshop'd the side profile shot and added some dreads and widened the mask to see what it would look like.

k15qq1.jpg

I like the added dreads. Bio-mask already fits fine in my opinion.

8ECCE793-8C8D-463B-A3DC-04F4C29368B3.jpeg

^ You addressed none of the issues i mentioned. I talked about real issues with the figure not inaccuracy. The only inaccuracy i have issue with is the pistol, as they have ass backwards. The hair also is just ridiculously bad, they did much better on the scar and celtic. They were nice medium length and hung perfectly. The last time they made the dreads this short was the P2 elder 2.0.

I already addressed the dreads on the previous page and the page before that. And yes, it’s merely a nitpick. Scar’s and Celtic’s dreads were longer than both P2 Elder and Wolf, so it makes sense that the figures would reflect that as well.

As far as the “shoulder cannon issue” I’m not sure what you’re referring to exactly. Are you referring to DK not being able to snap the additional plasmacaster into place, or the primary plasmacaster seemingly not being removable? If it’s the former, we don’t know if this is necessarily a pervasive issue, or just something that was just particular to his. The latter is merely a nitpick.

Back