Hot Toys - TMS051/2 - Mandalorian and Grogu (Season 2)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont need two mando figures but i like this one much better then the deluxe 1.0- this is why i stopped collecting hot toys and started collecting statues you dont get nearly as many rereleases with minor upgrades- cannot wait for the season 3 version thats made of “chromed die cast” armor so we all feel the need to buy that one as well- greedy bastards lol

High end action figure collecting has got nothing on high-end PC gaming video card collecting they release a 7% more powerful $1500 video card just 6 months after the previous most powerful video card ever made lol

Gamers who live in that ecosystem are getting con’d hardcore lol

Last edited:
High end action figure collecting has got nothing on high-end PC gaming video card collecting they release a more powerful $1500 video card just 6 months after the previous most powerful video card
High end action figure collecting has got nothing on high-end PC gaming video card collecting they release a more powerful $1500 video card just 6 months after the previous most powerful video card ever made lol

Gamers who live in that ecosystem are getting con’d hardcore lol
Same with tvs, cars and almost all electronics like phones ect.

but these minor upgrade reissues to these dolls is just getting old there is no collectibilty anymore cause whatever you buy today will be obsolete the following year (much like phones) when the release the same figure but with better accessories and or paint.
This doesnt happen nearly as often with statues- sure you get a few variants like p1 jim lee batman black and blue or supes but thats about it. Its not endless upgrade to what is essentially the same statue with a better coat of paint

Phones for sure. That's the grail.

Everyone knew Mando v3 was coming for years... not so sure why people are aggravated except for the fact that this figure is better than the one they just bought with their hard earned cash. That's the fact, Jack.

Spoiler alert: there will be an even better Mando coming in time! :horror

Phones for sure. That's the grail.

Everyone knew Mando v3 was coming for years... not so sure why people are aggravated except for the fact that this figure is better than the one they just bought with their hard earned cash. That's the fact, Jack.

Spoiler alert: there will be an even better Mando coming in time! :horror
Ya the die cast armor one

No doubt. None.

Planned Obsolescence is a real thing. That's why Mando will never get the correct color undersuit until the Diecast version. But then the helmet will be slightly underscale and he won't come with whistling bird smoke trails.

All you guys know how to play this game by now, I'm sure.

No doubt. None.

Planned Obsolescence is a real thing. That's why Mando will never get the correct color undersuit until the Diecast version. But then the helmet will be slightly underscale and he won't come with whistling bird smoke trails.

I know the game but they actually tricked me with this one i knew we would prolly get another mando but this release is basically piggie backing the last one- 1.0 version is still in stock. Atleast with marvel you knew you had a few years before the next figure release with minor paint upgrades but you got different costumes so it was more justifiable. This is the same ******* costume as 1.0 with better paint and pedro hs and it went up for po relatively fast for a version 2.0

look how long it took for them to do an avenger loki 2.0- ya its same cash grab thing but atleast those who bought the original had both the chance to enjoy for many years (exclusivity) and opportunity to sell if for big bucks if they wanted to.

With mando they did the 2.0 before the 1.0 even sold out like not even half a year since it started shipping. Total ******* slap in face and cash grab. People who bought 1.0 had exclusivity for just a few month and now cant sell it for **** even if they wanted to

these kind of shenanigans dont happen in the statue market except with ssc releasing mutiple pfs of the same character on a yearly basis but they are an outlier and atleast the costumes are different- probably cause statues cost too much to produce to risk putting out essentially the same product with added base detail or an additional accessory and expect people to buy it

Last edited:
No doubt. None.

Right!
Lol... hmm so maybe this is the reason why the final Dlx version of Grogu will include the magnetic shift knob, blue space-aroons, big-gulp egg despenser with eggs, articulated arms, and sleeping (eyes closed) headsculpt.

but these minor upgrade reissues to these dolls is just getting old there is no collectibilty anymore cause whatever you buy today will be obsolete the following year (much like phones) when the release the same figure but with better accessories and or paint.
That depends entirely on the line and character, my friend. If you’re buying a character from a decades-old movie, chances are slim it’ll be made obsolete any time soon, if ever.

But if you’re buying figures of characters from an ongoing tv series, one cannot be too shocked or upset that a new version comes out every season. Anyone who was trying to collect Marvel figures from 2008-2019 knows the drill: there are new costumes and corresponding merch before Hot Toys has even delivered the last film’s figures.

Those costume upgrades are worth it to some people and its like 3 years between figures or however long it takes for marvel to relase the follow up film- this is the same costume with chrome effect which the first one should have had to begin with and its po went up not much longer after the 1.0 started shipping. You cant compare the marvel releases to this figure. I always knew we would get another mando but not this soon maybe when he had an armor upgrade- this should be comic con exclusive or something cause its just a repaint with accessories- which i dont have issues with if it wasnt so god damn soon lol.

I am going to hold out for the die cast version

Those costume upgrades are worth it to some people and its like 3 years between figures or however long it takes for marvel to relase the follow up film- this is the same costume with chrome effect which the first one should have had to begin with and its po went up not much longer after the 1.0 started shipping. You cant compare the marvel releases to this figure. I always knew we would get another mando but not this soon maybe when he had an armor upgrade- this should be comic con exclusive or something cause its just a repaint with accessories- which i dont have issues with if it wasnt so god damn soon lol.

I am going to hold out for the die cast version
I mean, it’s not Hot Toys fault the costume remained mostly unchanged in season two. And this new figure won’t actually ship from Sideshow until like mid-2023, given their track record as of late. Remember, Beskar 1.0 was actually released in Hong Kong in November of 2020, which is eight months ago! Season Two of the show was over in December! I’m honestly surprised Hot Toys waited this long to put the season two figure up for pre-order.

And by the time this ships, we’ll have all seen season three and there’ll be a new Mando figure for that, too. So waiting any longer than seven months after the season has wrapped before they start taking pre-orders for a figure that won’t release for two years seems…excessive?

I am definitely happy to have cancelled po for V1 beskar and getting this amazing new Mando. But one thing that makes me sad is that I have to wait again for about 1.5 years to be able to finally own a Mando figure.

Last edited:
Not sure why some are salty with this release. It’s not a re-release. It’s the character representation from season 2. It’s not a 2.0 or whatever some want to label it as. Once we saw season 2 of the show, everyone knew we’d be getting a version with the spear, and that different thigh armor piece, and hopefully a head sculpt. How long ago did season 2 end? If this didn’t have a new paint application on the armor would some people feel better?

Not sure why some are salty with this release. It’s not a re-release. It’s the character representation from season 2. It’s not a 2.0 or whatever some want to label it as. Once we saw season 2 of the show, everyone knew we’d be getting a version with the spear, and that different thigh armor piece, and hopefully a head sculpt. How long ago did season 2 end? If this didn’t have a new paint application on the armor would some people feel better?
I agree, it is a season 2 version of Mando.

I believe it all comes down to some people want a "definitive beskar mando" on their shelf/collection.

Not speaking for myself here...some people have gone some length to mod their V1 beskar mando to match the look of the season 2 mando (custom thigh plate, knee pad, beskar spear, darksaber, and some people also purchased an extra cape from OG mando for that ragged look).

Then V2 beskar came along and it has everything + HS + a better chrome look.

Last edited:
Photos from Secret Base the other day

51274240788_e21fb3f354_b_d.jpg
Calling it now- there are going to be nitpicks about the "atrocious" hair seam on the final production version. It looks like the front piece with the curls is a separate piece (I doubt they can mold that together with the rest of the head sculpt).

Anyways, it's a great-looking sculpt and a great-looking release. That said, I'm sitting this one out for now. This is my favorite Beskar look (didn't like the clean cape of the previous release), but I don't really need (or have space for) a Mandalorian figure. I do want a Grogu though, and he kinda needs Mando as a display accessory. :lol I suspect the production run on this will be large, so I should have time to decide (and rewatch the series again for inspiration).

Yeah I went with SS instead of BBTS seeing as how they have a payment plan and the option to pay the remaining balance before release I rather have that then waiting for BBTS and not paying him off.

Back