Hot Toys: The Mandalorian The Child Life-Size Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is more of a debate between Hot Toys vs Legacy Effects than Hot Toys vs Sideshow. It's a little odd that some people out there bring up Sideshow's past in-house products as points of comparison.

Even according to Sideshow's site, Legacy Effects did almost everything (paint, mold/cast, cut/sew, development, design) and Sideshow only contributed to the development and design which is probably not a lot.

This is more of a debate between Hot Toys vs Legacy Effects than Hot Toys vs Sideshow. It's a little odd that some people out there bring up Sideshow's past in-house products as points of comparison.

Even according to Sideshow's site, Legacy Effects did almost everything (paint, mold/cast, cut/sew, development, design) and Sideshow only contributed to the development and design which is probably not a lot.

That's basically the opposite from what I understood. Legacy Effects isn't a company that creates consumer goods as far as I knew. I don't think it was a Legacy Effects factory that made this if that's what you're saying.

That's basically the opposite from what I understood. Legacy Effects isn't a company that creates consumer goods as far as I knew. I don't think it was a Legacy Effects factory that made this if that's what you're saying.

That's not quite what I was saying. I've no idea what factory the Sideshow/Legacy Effects partnership would go to for production of this or any of the other products they've partnered on. Might be the same factories Sideshow uses for their in-house designed products.

I was saying this is a Sideshow product sort of in name only, as it was designed and produced by Legacy Effects and not Sideshow's design team regardless of how/where it was manufactured.

There are some who will dislike or dismiss the SSC/LE statue just for being under Sideshow banner, like comparing older Sideshow 1/6 offerings to Hot Toys figure. Whereas folks would like to see an even and fair comparison between the two pieces based on their individual merits, which I look forward to seeing from some collectors here who can be impartial.

That's not quite what I was saying. I've no idea what factory the Sideshow/Legacy Effects partnership would go to for production of this or any of the other products they've partnered on. Might be the same factories Sideshow uses for their in-house designed products.

I was saying this is a Sideshow product sort of in name only, as it was designed and produced by Legacy Effects and not Sideshow's design team regardless of how/where it was manufactured.

There are some who will dislike or dismiss the SSC/LE statue just for being under Sideshow banner, like comparing older Sideshow 1/6 offerings to Hot Toys figure. Whereas folks would like to see an even and fair comparison between the two pieces based on their individual merits, which I look forward to seeing from some collectors here who can be impartial.

Legacy may have designed their single prototype from head to toe, but in a lot of cases Sideshow then leaves it to the individual factory to then decide on how it produces the production pieces. The important part here is that it would’ve still been overseen by the same Sideshow QC team, as Legacy has nothing to do with the production once the final prototype leaves their hands.

Until the last couple of years, for the preceding handful of years any time an item had the Legacy badge on them it was like receiving the kiss of death, as Sideshows factories were rarely able to get a product even decently close to the prototype. But things seems to have turned a corner for their Legacy pieces since the release of their Mark 3 Maquette a couple of years ago.

The factory most likely used whatever patterns were provided for the outfit, but on how the body was constructed was probably decided by the factory based on whatever was provided. Though given how simple the piece is, there probably wasn’t that much deviation except where paint is concerned as that has always been the deciding factor for many of these pieces. A good sculpt is important, but without paint application to match it you can get subpar products.

I appreciate that the prototype was made by Legacy and that helps with the question of authenticity/accuracy but at the end of the day, what really matters is the final quality that is produced by the Sideshow factory. It’s sort of like the choice between Sideshows chosen factories and those used by ECC/Cinemaquette back in the day, though that just may be a question on how much they’re willing to pay said factory.

I'm happy that everyone has a choice. I chose the Sideshow version (a first Sideshow figure/statue for me) because I just could not get past the visible ear seams on the Hot Toys.

If Hot Toys ratcheted the mouth, couldn't they ratchet the ears too?

I'm reading that Legacy Effects handled most of the production, not Sideshow, which is likely why Grogu came out so well.

I'm happy that everyone has a choice. I chose the Sideshow version (a first Sideshow figure/statue for me) because I just could not get past the visible ear seams on the Hot Toys.

If Hot Toys ratcheted the mouth, couldn't they ratchet the ears too?

I'm reading that Legacy Effects handled most of the production, not Sideshow, which is likely why Grogu came out so well.

For some reason I’m doubting that. It’s possible they were the ones to interact with the factory and not Sideshow, but I can’t imagine a situation where they will be producing untold quantities of these things in-house, otherwise the pieces would’ve cost substantially more.

I don't get why they couldn't do a seamless joint in the ears like they did the mouth. The seams are the biggest turn off for this thing since it's 1:1 scale.

OMG HOW CUTE IS HE?!!!!!!!!! I dont even care about the ear seams, I love his interchangeable ears!

As most here collect poseable figures I’m sure most feel the same.

I myself collect both Hot Toys and higher end statues, but when it comes to larger scale items I prefer seamless statues as I find them more realistic.

But given the relatively low price of this offering it’s quite an impressive piece, and I can’t wait to have this paired up with Sideshows in my collection.

Visible ear seams because the ears are articulated, just like action figures with visible joints, common sense. For those keep insisting on that laughable comparison with "superior" SS statue...well :dunno

Visible ear seams because the ears are articulated, just like action figures with visible joints, common sense. For those keep insisting on that laughable comparison with "superior" SS statue...well :dunno
Ears aren't articulated

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Nice video, loving this. Don?t mind the ear seams, they?re the only negative I can see, and the pros far outweigh that particular con. Prefer this headsculpt to the SS version because it looks like he doesn?t have a chin on the SS and this one is much cuter.

Nice video, loving this. Don?t mind the ear seams, they?re the only negative I can see, and the pros far outweigh that particular con. Prefer this headsculpt to the SS version because it looks like he doesn?t have a chin on the SS and this one is much cuter.

tumblr_mx7ndiEjOX1r6usnpo5_500.jpg

then "interchangeable"

In general it’s because there are some who don’t want visible joints and others who want a poseable figure.

And then there are those who want both... which is why I got both.

But regarding the ears, from the comments posted here, the vast bulk have indicated that they would’ve rather had a seamless head than being given the option of the interchange ears in the first place. As all the other joints are well hidden by the outfit, so other than the ears it was a total non issue.

Back