Hot Toys- The Guardian Predator, Predator 2- full review and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookster

Very foolish words man!
Reaction score
He was much in demand at this years various conventions as an 'exclusive' item, but if you were lucky enough to score one, he was quite the trophy in his own right.

Predator 2 Guardian Predator sixth scale figure - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Michael Crawford, Captain Toy

All the usual reviews and features can be found over on Captain Toy-
Michael Crawford's Review of the Week - the number one source for action figure, toy and pop culture reviews!

predlineup2-1.jpg

lostpreds1.jpg

pose9-6.jpg

pose7-8.jpg

pose14-4.jpg

detail27-3.jpg

detail9-6.jpg

canon5-1.jpg

canon3.jpg

detail24-3.jpg

that review is pretty generous considering this is a re-hash figure. especially the "value" score.

that review is pretty generous considering this is a re-hash figure. especially the "value" score.

Well to be fair I did take a lot of factors into consideration. The thing is, as you say many parts are re-used, but the sculpt is in my opinion the second best sculpt we have had of a Predator to date (people are re-mortgaging their homes to get the original Pred). Plus the paint job was pretty outstanding. Then I also factored in the low edition size (demand far outstriped suply) which led me to give it the score I did, and baring all those things in mind I still think it deserves it.

Cheers Flosi! :wave

Last edited:
Well to be fair I did take a lot of factors into consideration. The thing is, as you say many parts are re-used, but the sculpt is in my opinion the second best sculpt we have had of a Predator to date (people are re-mortgaging their homes to get the original Pred). Plus the paint job was pretty outstanding. Then I also factored in the low edition size (demand far outstriped suply) which led me to give it the score I did, and baring all those things in mind I still think it deserves it.
i don't think the edition size should be as much of a factor. it's probably not much different from edition size the EX P1. but that figure was an entirely new sculpt, had a diorama base and had the light-up feature AND was still cheaper than the Guardian. i think the Guardian price only reflects the $15 premium that SSC pulled out of their ass. it doesn't deserve more than 2 stars on the "value" scale IMO. especially considering you can get a Berserker for the same price and that's an entirely new figure with a light-up feature and it's about 2 inches taller.

as far as the paint app, it's technically proficient and reflects what you'd expect from HT... but it's pretty inaccurate. it really should just be the same as the P2, but i guess HT decided it should be different just from a collectible standpoint, so i kinda understand that.

Well actually berserker is not 2" taller than guardian , is just barelly taller maybe 1/2 inch no more than that

but i agree with you i dont like guardian as much either and its way too expensive for what he really is

i don't think the edition size should be as much of a factor. it's probably not much different from edition size the EX P1. but that figure was an entirely new sculpt, had a diorama base and had the light-up feature AND was still cheaper than the Guardian. i think the Guardian price only reflects the $15 premium that SSC pulled out of their ass. it doesn't deserve more than 2 stars on the "value" scale IMO. especially considering you can get a Berserker for the same price and that's an entirely new figure with a light-up feature and it's about 2 inches taller.

as far as the paint app, it's technically proficient and reflects what you'd expect from HT... but it's pretty inaccurate. it really should just be the same as the P2, but i guess HT decided it should be different just from a collectible standpoint, so i kinda understand that.

All valid points, but I do still feel low edition sizes have to play a factor. I'm sure HT could have still turned a tidy profit if they had comisioned a new head, but in pure business terms a re-use makes sense. Plus I have a feeling that when it was first put out HT may have imagined he would get a few re-paints and over hauls to make him into the now incredibly rare original Pred... but of course the popularity of this as a stand alone figure and his own intrinsic 'value' has made that a moot point!

I gotta say, i didnt really see the paint job on guardian as "wrong" as such, because i thought this was probably supposed to be an amalgamation in the same sense as the lost predator. Which was borg with the ram helmet, and i saw this as ram (the blue body and silver armour) with gorts helmet. Perhaps im wrong but this is how i thought of it.

I gotta say, i didnt really see the paint job on guardian as "wrong" as such, because i thought this was probably supposed to be an amalgamation in the same sense as the lost predator. Which was borg with the ram helmet, and i saw this as ram (the blue body and silver armour) with gorts helmet. Perhaps im wrong but this is how i thought of it.
yeah, the armor is mostly correct for the Ram, but its body isn't nearly blue enough and it doesn't have the P2-like stripes on the sides like the Ram does. i think HT just kinda made up the Guardian body paint scheme. and it doesn't come with accessories from any of the other preds like the Lost did. so i dunno if it could really be an amalgamation as much as HT just trying to make it different enough from the P2.

That is pretty cool. I like the Gigeresque looking thing whatever it is. But damn you need to tame your P1s dreads, no offense but they look awful! Mine never looked that bad, on either of my P1s one of which is unmodded.

Yeah ive been playin with ideas for dios.I cant wait to for the berserker to make a nice one.

Well actually berserker is not 2" taller than guardian , is just barelly taller maybe 1/2 inch no more than that

but i agree with you i dont like guardian as much either and its way too expensive for what he really is

IDK what you're talking about with the Berserker's height. I got mine from Hong Kong and he's 14' exactly off the stand.

Yours must just be different some how:dunno

Looks good but you have the Bios on the wrong bodies....:dunno

It's NOT "wrong" (as if that would matter to begin with).

The Guardian bio was originally designed for P1.

In P2 there is a Predator with a P1 helmet and P2 body / armour.

So even a purist can't argue with the helmet swap reflecting the movies. Heck, I think part of the reason that Guardian has gunmetal armour was to facilitate that swap!

@zuckuss77 - LOVE your diorama base BTW!

I took a few helmet swap pics myself, I'll have to try and find them.
Here are the 'brothers' sans mask.
originalpredcomp2.jpg

Back