Hot Toys The ALIEN Big Chap... Wooksters review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome shots and poses indeed!
I'm kinda leaning towards the second, but I don't think that is a healthy pose for extended periods of time.

Awesome shots and poses indeed!
I'm kinda leaning towards the second, but I don't think that is a healthy pose for extended periods of time.

It's not, that's for sure.

The knees are definately under stress and would rip over time.

And to your point on range of movement HT vs. Medicom, having both I can say this:

Head/Neck: lateral movement is roughly the same for both, the Medicom is slightly hindered by its accuratelly placed tubes. Up and down movement is much better on the HT, the Medicom -although it has a similar range- does not hold the pose. Sideways tilt would go to the Medicom, but it's a moot point because it doesn't hold the pose. HT's doesn't have any tilt (incidentally, NECA's figure has a great range of movement on the head/neck).

Arms: Medicom all the way. The figure has the full range of movement of a Medicom base body. The HT is more limited in every movement except for the wrists.

Torso/Waist: range is basically the same, but the structure of the HT body holds the sideways twist of the waist better. The forward and backward motion is the same on both.

Hips: HT all the way. It can bend much deeper and holds the pose better, the Medicom is a lot more restricted.

Legs: Medicom FTW. Again, the figure has the full range of movement of a regular Medicom body. The thighs have the cut joint, the knees bend almost 45° and the ankles have tilt and swivel movement. The HT has no cut joints on thighs and the knees don't even bend to 90° (at least I haven't tried it for fear of breakage). The ankles have full range of motion though.

So which is better articulated? On paper I would say the Medicom, but it really depends on what you want your alien to do: if you want the ball pose you'll like HT's articulation better; if you want the Lambert hug, you'll like the Medi-culation better.

Been messing around with HT's Alien and found out that the knees can indeed bend a lot more than I thought before. It felt a bit scary though, and I only bent one farther, the other seemed too firm and I didn't want to force it.

But, suffice it to say that the knees on the HT figure can bend as deeply as the ones on the Medicom figure. No swivel motion on the thighs though.

It's like you're talking about a different figure or something man... Have you really got it? You aren't bending the joints anywhere near far enough man. The HT has almost the same basic range of motion as the human skeleton, and beyond in many areas. The head can actually rotate 360° if you carefully manuver it over the shoulders, I just discovered that! Arms flex about 140° from the elbows, knees go about 130° as well, hips are about 110°. The only limits are the 15° leg adduction and 40° shoulder adduction.

I own the Medicom too, and it doesn't have a greater range of motion when I compare them...FAR from it. Anyway, the paint peels when you try to pose it with the same range as the Hot Toys figure, you wouldn't dare keep it in tight poses for long. I was surprised that an expensive figure like this would be painted with the rubbish they used. Very disappointed by that major oversight. It's only a mater of time before I have to paint it, when I do, it will be a similar job as the Hot Toys. Finding the right paint is going to be a pain in the arse. I might just leave it standing straight, still looks cool that way.

The HT rubber suit has very thick pliable rubber that thins out in the abdominal area. The paint is fused to it's surface, almost like it's moulded into it. The arms also have a very solid rubbery feel to them. It's a very, very high quality piece, I think it's easily the best around in it's class. Not a toy for the kids to muck around with that much, no way. I'm in for anything that can improve on the articulation we get here. I feel like it's going to hold up a lot better than the Medicom, without any doubt. Bend the HT ALIEN, it won't break unless you use excessive force. It's a huge improvement over older figures like these. I think they have addressed the problems some people were reporting with previous figures.

You joking about the NECA or what? I think it vaguely resembles that original, I think the HT, Medicom and Sega version cane it in comparison, even though we are talking completely different things here, apples and oranges. The NECA's throat and mouth/teeth details are totally exaggerated and stylised, it's almost pure fantasy compared with most of the others, looks even worse with the mouth closed. Cartoony, but cool. I think it far from the best sculpt out there, look at the photo. The 18" is still a bargain for (as low as) $20! It's a must have. Double check before you buy, the quality on these things is really, really, really dodgy and patchy. That explains the price I guess.

Three clicks for the arms as well, there are double joints that aren't apparent at first. but be careful, it will explode if you try them! :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Last edited:
Yeah, but the problem with the arms (and legs for that matter) is that there is no swivel joint and the lack of movement to spread the arms upwards.

At any rate, I'm happy that there's more movement in the legs than I had thought at first.

this figure still looks to much like a guy in a suit to me

I think that's why I like the Medi more than the HT fig. The sculpt on the Medi has less definition, the paint is lacking, the scale is just wrong for 1/6th - but when you pose it and then sit and stare - it's so much like a tiny skinny dude in a suit. That's the Alien that scared the crap outa me when I first saw the movie.

I still like the HT version, it's got the detail, paint & scale. Medi still wins in my books when they're side by side.:monkey3

The toys looks nice and so interesting. Thanks for sharing them here. Well, I love toys and I use to collect more toys for my collection. That was my hobby.

Back