Hot Toys The ALIEN Big Chap... Wooksters review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, right. Hot Toys Aliens have never had any problems with peeling paint:

DSC01018-1.jpg

Full thread here:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/foru...9446&highlight=Toys+Aliens+Warrior+piece+junk

Seriously, in comparison to that, my Medicom feels amazingly high quality. I do however agree that it can only really take fairly upright poses. Fortunately that's kind of how I like posing the original Alien.

If you've got no peeling paint on your HT Aliens, then lucky you.

No, no photos of all the poses it can achieve, that would be a feat in itself! Try some out with yours, it's not going to break or start peeling/sticking. The legs and arms are double/triple jointed, I think you're only going to the first click by what you stated about it's range of movement... Nothing extreme about the poses it's deigned to achieve, unless you consider the basic range of the human skeleton extreme.

None of my HT xeno figures have any paint peeling/rubbing off, only the Medicom. The Medicom is sort of a rock because of it, I'm not game enough to try and pose it much anymore, I already have minor paint cracking and peeling/rubbing around the knees (front, back, sides), hips, waist, elbows etc. Trying to pose the Medicom like the HT will just cause further damage, it just can't handle it. I wouldn't advise anyone to pay retail for it, no way!

The methods of construction HT have used are different than that of the Medicom, it's totally obvious when you handle and pose it, you can instantly see and feel the differences. Apples and oranges man. HT beats Medicom for quality, construction and articulation without any doubt in my mind, it's really obvious. How can you give advice/reviews when you haven't really explored the HT figure... Give it a go man, don't be scared! It's not going to go Medicom on you. :lol

erm...can u post photos to prove your claim of the HT Giger Alien poseability? cos that would really help me in my decision whether to sell or keep mine, when it arrives.

Thks.

No, no photos of all the poses it can achieve, that would be a feat in itself! Try some out with yours, it's not going to break or start peeling/sticking. The legs and arms are double/triple jointed, I think you're only going to the first click by what you stated about it's range of movement... Nothing extreme about the poses it's deigned to achieve, unless you consider the basic range of the human skeleton extreme.

None of my HT xeno figures have any paint peeling/rubbing off, only the Medicom. The Medicom is sort of a rock because of it, I'm not game enough to try and pose it much anymore, I already have minor paint cracking and peeling/rubbing around the knees (front, back, sides), hips, waist, elbows etc. Trying to pose the Medicom like the HT will just cause further damage, it just can't handle it. I wouldn't advise anyone to pay retail for it, no way!

The methods of construction HT have used are different than that of the Medicom, it's totally obvious when you handle and pose it, you can instantly see and feel the differences. Apples and oranges man. HT beats Medicom for quality, construction and articulation without any doubt in my mind, it's really obvious. How can you give advice/reviews when you haven't really explored the HT figure... Give it a go man, don't be scared! It's not going to go Medicom on you. :lol

Well, I've had 1/6 scale figures for ages (since I was a kid, really) and I consider myself pretty good at handling and posing them, and I really cannot find the level of articulation you're alluding to in the HT Alien figure, nor have I seen any pics to make think it's that poseable.

Again, my "review" and comparison of a few posts back summarizes my thoughts...

Too bad you don't have any pics, I'd love to see new poses for the HT alien! Anyway, check out the new pics of my repainted Medi-alien I posted and give me your feedback!

Sabres, you contradict yourself. HT give a clear warning about the 15 degree leg adduction (spread) limit, no other warnings about joint limitations. The legs won't rip at the knees when left in a tight pose...unless you cut them with a scalpel or something, they are very thick and pliable. Same goes with the arms. They aren't stretched anywhere near the rubbers shear point, they have slackness to them when posed at their maximum extensions, they aren't under enough tension to tear, nowhere near it. I've seen a photo of the tail separating slightly (mm or two) from the suit, but I suspect that has to do with the tail being pulled into extreme positions at it's root, be careful, don't go crazy with it. Paint shows no signs or peeling after or during extended periods of posing. The rubber wont stick to itself unless you put it under the hot sun for a few hours, even then I'm not really sure it would, I wouldn't advise trying it. Who would try something like that?? Keep it away for solvents like acetone as well. HT warns you about using cleaning agents and solvents. That applies to all their figures.

Anyway, I think you've been a ring leader in an irrational war against this figure since the "Big Chap" was announced, a quick read through you posts removes any doubt I have about that, it's rather obvious man. Your track record proves that having the last word on all things xeno is your goal, not engaging in productive conversation and rational debate. You don't really say much at all. You obviously don't like me, you already used the pejorative "duchebag" on me for no other reason than expressing rational opinion, you want to fight with me, not talk. You insult people too easily for my tastes anyway. Just forget about it man, just forget it if that's the way you're going to be, don't waste your life.

DSD man, what exactly are you trying to claim the photo represents? It's completely obviously that the figure has had acetone or some other chemical applied to it in a misguided attempt at cleaning/repainting it or something. Looks like they spat the dummy when they realised they'd ruined it, snapping the leg joints or something, I don't know exactly. But there is now way that is representative of what we can all expect from these figures. HT would be out of business pretty quickly if that were the case, retailers wouldn't stock their products, prices would plummet at the very least.

Posting a photo like that and inferring that it's what we can expect from HT figures is very misleading at best, it's absolutely ludicrous actually. Then you say that the Medicom figure has superior quality in comparison?? The paint on my Medicom started to rub-off as soon as I took it out of the box (Yes, I handle my stuff with great care). Abake even talks about it in his review of the figure, I guess he's wrong too. We all are.

It's really obvious that you and a few others have had a some sort of hate campaign with the HT figure. Now you are attempting to discredit everything I say because of it. Expressing your thoughts in a few lines makes it very difficult to discuss anything with any clarity with you guys. Especially now that I'm aware of your extreme bias. DSD, you've already called me a "troll", but I get the feeling that you actually are sort of one, you want to fight with me from my first post.

Erm...sorry, Kazukijun, but I'm not one of the people here that are all that photographically gifted, I don't have the time to help you decide if you want to keep a figure that you've just purchased, only you can decide that. Anyway, there is plenty of material already out there, I'm sure ther will be more. I hope your next move isn't to attempt discredit everything I say because I'm not providing you with photos...I hope this isn't where you're going. Apologies in advance if I'm wrong.

Guys, it kinda goes without saying, but the best solution would be to sell your figures and move on to other xeno figures you think are worthy. Does that make sense, isn't that the logical thing to do? Why would you buy something you didn't like? Especially if you think you have proven to yourself that the items quality is substandard etc. Makes no sense to me at all, it sort of confirms my belief that some of you guys are only looking for fault, making trouble for yourselves and others.

Well, I've had 1/6 scale figures for ages (since I was a kid, really) and I consider myself pretty good at handling and posing them, and I really cannot find the level of articulation you're alluding to in the HT Alien figure, nor have I seen any pics to make think it's that poseable.

Again, my "review" and comparison of a few posts back summarizes my thoughts...

Too bad you don't have any pics, I'd love to see new poses for the HT alien! Anyway, check out the new pics of my repainted Medi-alien I posted and give me your feedback!

That would be fine if the range of motion you described was correct, but it's so far from what the figure can achieve that I had to take some rough measurements. I'm not alluding to anything about it's range. Try it yourself, it's obvious.

Please post some pics.
You do ALOT of talking for someone who isn't backing up his statement.

And PLEASE put in the crouch pose and leave it.
I'd love to be here when you to come back on here and complain about the knees ripping.

And you counter photographic proof (that you can't seem to provide yourself) with a statement that someone has applied acetone to their figure to discredit Hot Toys?

Really?

Dude...you're weird.

Last edited:
Well in fairness that photo shows a level of peeling that I've never seen, so severe that I too might jump to the same conclusion about the acetone or someone getting majorly pissed off with the figure and deliberately misshandling it to the extent that so much paint came off. However Dwibzle is wrong if he thinks the paint on HT Aliens doesn't flake off. It most certainly does just nowhere near to the extent that pic would have you believe.

All that said I'm still just underwhelmed by HT Aliens. Cool when I first get them but then the newness wears off and I find myself being annoyed by the innaccuracies, loose feet, spontaneously breaking joints on the Aliens warrior, wonky looking leg posing of the dog alien with its wierd hoove feet that won't stay in position, its face looking more like a piranha etc etc. This is why I won't buy the Big Chap.

edit - OK just checked DSD's link and he says thats from standard handling! I won't call him a liar. But methinks he got a particularly poor example of a figure that had poor QC generally. Mine has gotten nowhere near that bad - only minor flaking on the ribs.

Last edited:
as biased as some of the "haters" here are about ht's alien figures, they are right about the paint peeling issue.

i have a friend who owns the aliens warrior alien and dog alien. the warrior has paint peeling at the hip area. he keeps the figures in a glass case away from strong light and contaminants. and still it happened. luckily, he is a skilled painter and touched up the damage. he also did a complete repaint on the dog. in fact it looks better than the original paint app.

so it has nothing to do with acetone or mishandling.

[
DSD man, what exactly are you trying to claim the photo represents? It's completely obviously that the figure has had acetone or some other chemical applied to it in a misguided attempt at cleaning/repainting it or something. Looks like they spat the dummy when they realised they'd ruined it, snapping the leg joints or something, I don't know exactly. But there is now way that is representative of what we can all expect from these figures. HT would be out of business pretty quickly if that were the case, retailers wouldn't stock their products, prices would plummet at the very least.

Posting a photo like that and inferring that it's what we can expect from HT figures is very misleading at best, it's absolutely ludicrous actually. Then you say that the Medicom figure has superior quality in comparison?? The paint on my Medicom started to rub-off as soon as I took it out of the box (Yes, I handle my stuff with great care). Abake even talks about it in his review of the figure, I guess he's wrong too. We all are.

It's really obvious that you and a few others have had a some sort of hate campaign with the HT figure. Now you are attempting to discredit everything I say because of it. Expressing your thoughts in a few lines makes it very difficult to discuss anything with any clarity with you guys. Especially now that I'm aware of your extreme bias. DSD, you've already called me a "troll", but I get the feeling that you actually are sort of one, you want to fight with me from my first post.

You clearly didn't read the thread I posted, but here are some facts for you.

1) I absolutely love the HT Aliens Warrior. You will be able to find several posts of mine saying so. Sadly, that's what happened to mine through normal posing and handling. Read the thread for more details.

2) I'm a fan of Hot Toys stuff in general.

Perhaps I was unlucky, but don't you dare accuse me of deliberately staging those pics. After spending £130 to have it imported from Canada, I was furious at the state it was in after only a year.

You should ask yourself why people seem to "want to fight" with you. Your tone has been antagonistic from the minute you started posting here.

Edit: There's also my comments in this thread:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35853

Last edited:
Please post some pics.
You do ALOT of talking for someone who isn't backing up his statement.

And PLEASE put in the crouch pose and leave it.
I'd love to be here when you to come back on here and complain about the knees ripping.

And you counter photographic proof (that you can't seem to provide yourself) with a statement that someone has applied acetone to their figure to discredit Hot Toys?

Really?

Dude...you're weird.

Don't bother. I've tried, but some people can not be reasoned with at an adult capacity. :banghead
When you challenge them with hard evidence, you get labeled a "hater" or a "bully". A clear example is how DSD actually got accused of ruining his own figure! OMG! I can't believe they went there! :lol

Denial is a powerful thing!
Let them continue thinking the world is flat. There's no cure for stupid. :duh

God...Sabres and FACEBOX on the attack again, round two, Ding, Ding. Working hard to manipulate my comments, trying their best to start trouble and dilute genuine discussion with hyperbole and nonsensical attacks. I look forward to more intellectually stimulating conversations with you in the future. You guys call yourselves xeno fans, but I think you're an impediment to genuine discussion, you contribute very little. Every time there is conflict about xeno's on this board, you don't have to look to far to find one you guys thick in the mix with the name calling and petty comments.You kill conversations, you keep people from posting. This isn't a court, I'm not on trial, I'm discussing, that's what this place is all about. If you can't handle or comprehend what I'm saying, don't use your imagination and make things up about what you think I've said, it just confirms what I'm saying about you guys when you do.

I never said anything about HT Aliens paint being infallible, I don't know how some of you came to that conclusion, where that came from... I was suggesting to Abake that I think the HT Alien figure has far superior paint and articulation to that that of the Medicom, I haven't had a single problem with my HT A L I E N figure, but my Medicom paint started to rub away as soon as I took it out of the box. When you compare the paint to the HT Alien, it's definitely better than the Medicom, that's what me and Abake were discussing. The Medicom in relation to the HT Alien figure, it's range of motion etc. then some of you came along and took everything out of context. Please, don't bother putting words in my mouth, you're wasting your time.

DSD, I never accused you of sabotaging your figure, it was Sabres fantasy interpretation of what I said that claimed that, I don't believe you did destroy it deliberately. You clearly didn't read my post, I did read all the comments in your other thread from begining to end. I can clearly see the damage, but I still think that there's more to the story than "standard handling". Did you post your damaged Aliens figure in this thread because you want to make the point that we can all expect this to occur with our HT Alien figures? Don't buy them? Don't bend or touch the HT Alien figure because the same thing will happen to it? I'm not really sure where you're going man, what's your point with all this? Talk about it, don't fight.

Anyway, I think the minor damage that some have on their HT A L I E N S figures is caused by the paint not being flexible enough to cope with the stretching of the rubber, maybe the mould release agent wasn't completely striped away before painting. Like A-Dev, I'm going give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to an EXTREME case of bad QC, why you didn't return the figure to HT for investigation and replace is beyond me.

I think HT are much more obliging than Medicom. I contacted Medicom about my paint issues and they basically said that I had handled it too much, what a joke man, I had barely touched the figure. Medicom said it to all the people that were having paint problems right off the bat,
terrible customer service.

I even got a refund at the place I purchased it and the guys said that he had a few that had already been returned. I went and purchased another one from a different store because I though it might have been a dud batch or something, but the exact same thing stated to occur again. It's still a great figure, I got a good deal, I can repaint it if things get too bad, but I wouldn't dare try posing it like the HT A L I E N, I wouldn't leave it any tight position for long, no way, apples and oranges. I leave mine it the standing stoop position with the arms slightly bent at it's side. I can certainly understand why the people that got dud HT A L I E N S and the Medicom A L I E N would have hard feeling about them, the HT Aliens xeno's aren't at the top of my favourites list.

Every so often I check all my figures to see if there are any signs of peeling etc. like I do with all my painted rubber figures, I haven't noticed anything going on so far. The paint on the HT Alien looks like different than was used on previous HT xeno's. I think the damage people saw in earlier figures was cause by the rubber stretching farther than the paint would allow, that caused the paint to loose it's grip on the ruber and made it start peeling when gently rubbed. It could even be cause by that and a combination of the mould release agent not being adequately removed from the suit before painting.

I think that HT understands that potential problem and has adjusted the properties of the rubber on the Alien so that it isn't really pulled taught enough in any area to cause paint slip. Not sure about Medicom because I have purchased anything from them since. I don't think it's really fair to compare the new HT Alien xeno with previous generations, I think HT listens to peoples/distributors valid complaints and concerns and then adjusts future products in accordance with any design or QC issues. Looks that way to me, I have no QC issues at all with my HT Alien.

You can say all you want about me Dwid...it doesn't bother me.

Yes, I was one of the biggest opponents to this figure when it was first shown.

But, as can be proven by my posts since receiving it, I've changed my view.
And, not to brag, but I've taken some of the best pics of this thing yet.
So, if I wasn't a fan, why would I waste my time like that?

Your argument that I'm not a "xeno fan" falls far short of the truth.
You, on the other hand, have repeatedly failed to provide photographic proof of your claims.

I have one of the biggest collections of Alien related items here.
So, I speak from experience and knowledge.
Yes...I have my own opinions on the design and not everyone agrees with me.

But I don't expect them to.

You on the other hand, as has been stated before, come on this board with an incredible sense of arrogance. Being rude and snippy with just about everyone that posts a counter-point to you.

And yes, you absolutely did imply that DSD had purposefully applied something to his HT Alien Warrior figure to make it's paint peel like that. Don't try to deny it. That's why your post was edited. So, don't try and make it seem like I came out of nowhere with that.

Anyway...you can claim that I'm out to get you until you're blue in the face.

The fact is...I like this figure for what it is. I've shown that numerous times with my photos. And, as has been PROVEN time and time again, these figures suffer at their stress points when put into extreme positions. A point you seem to keep wanting to deny (and the reason for most of this discussion).

Again, I ask that you put your Alien in an extreme pose and keep it that way. If, over time, it doesn't suffer any stress related ripping, then (and only then) will I apologize.

But, please don't keep telling us that it's not going to rip at the knees if you aren't willing to put it to the test yourself.

DSD, I never accused you of sabotaging your figure, it was Sabres fantasy interpretation of what I said that claimed that, I don't believe you did destroy it deliberately. You clearly didn't read my post

Hhhh.....OK, let me hit the "reset" button to see if you'll understand me this time.

YOU said that the BIG CHAP was the most pose-able HT alien thus far.
I disagreed, and said that title should go to the ALIENS Warrior. (I posted pix) Then, YOU said I was attacking you. :slap
Maybe I didn't use enough Smilies. :confused:

All we're asking for is for you to (somehow) support your claims with hard evidence. Reason we're asking this is because we don't want to follow your advice, do something wrong, and end up breaking our figures. I'm sure if we do what you say, and the figure breaks....you will not be sending us a new one. :rolleyes:

Again, all I'd like is some sort of evidence, so I can maybe "copy you" and put my alien in a cool pose too. As things stand, I've handled the figure, but it doesn't seem extremely pose-able to me. I feel like if I force it, it'll break. I don't want to "waste" $130 like that.
:monkey3

Furthermore, the reason why I'm always in the Xeno threads, is because that's what I know. I think it's safe to say, that Sabres knows his stuff too. :D So, I stay away from the crap I don't know much about.
I support all my arguments with proof, or at least make it clear that the my agruments are only my opinion. This way, there is no confusion. :cool:

However, this "It's completely obviously that the figure has had acetone or some other chemical applied to it in a misguided attempt at cleaning/repainting it or something. Looks like they spat the dummy when they realised they'd ruined it, snapping the leg joints or something, I don't know exactly. But there is now way that is representative of what we can all expect from these figures." sure sounds like you're calling the guy a liar/idiot to me. I know I'm not alone, because Sabres, DSD, Wookster, and myself all reacted the same way to your comment. Now you say it was Sabres that applied "fantasy interpretation of what [you] said"?
(me confused):(

Do you see now why we're confused about you?
I don't know how much clearer I can be.
I have nothing against you personally, but I do not agree with some of the things you're saying/claiming. If you still don't understand where I'm coming from, please let me know. I mean this with the utmost respect, but this way I'll know to never respond to one of your posts again. There would be nothing else I could say to "appease" you.

Does this seem fair to you? :peace

I'm done talking with this prick. I'll be back on these boards when he's banned. See you around guys.

It strkies me that never the twain shall meet here.
It's time for all concerned to move on, folks have nailed their colours to the mast, and it seems most have picked a side in the Medi vs HT ALIEN battle, it doesn't need to be a battle but some like to argue the toss over anything.
I try to play the roll of the Swiss (without the Nazi gold), so I can see both sides, but the fact is that this is just pointless bickering now, may I suggest if any parties still feel strongly enough that you PM each other.
If you love the HT figure warts and all, with its few shortcomings and artistic embelishments, fine, enjoy.
If you are Medi owner, and can over see the minor scale and paint issues, like wise, just enjoy your figure.
We shouldn't need to attack, or defend the things we collect.
There's an old saying-
"There are two things you should be slow to criticise, a mans choice of woman, and his choice of work"... well lets add his choice of ALIEN as well.
For the record, I think it's plain to see both are very cool figures, neither are perfect, and neither have the best articulation, but both to a fair job of representing the poses we saw in the film.

DSD & Dwibzle
there is an 'ignore' feature you could both perhaps use, chucking the towel in and leaving the playground because someone isn't playing the way you want isn't usually the way forward.
There is a lot to enjoy around here, and most collectors obviously share a lot of interests that are good to discuss. But when you come accross someone you find antagonistic, just report it and try to avoid them. If they do prove themselves to be an arse they won't be tollerated for too long... by ANYONE!
Lets move on!:peace

Yes, time to move on.

Trying to find that ever elusive "perfect" pose.

So...MORE PICS. :D

100_1303.jpg

100_1310.jpg

100_1326a.jpg

100_1329.jpg

100_1301.jpg

Now that's more like it, I don't use the word often, or lightly, but those shots are awesome!

I love the 4th pose you have him in sabres. Probably going to steal that one from you when I get mine.

The 4th pose does look great. Would be even better if that inner mouth was longer, so it looks like it could actually punch a hole in your skull. May change the pose of mine now...

Back