Hot Toys TDKR: 1/4th scale Batman [QS001] - Full Reveal & Specs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well after looking a lot at the pictures and movies, i'm really excited to see how this got improved by hot toys. when i look at the figure, especially the sculpt from the front, it looks almost perfect. it's such a big step forward when we look at the older proto-pics.

now it's a very beautiful figure, BUT i still can see some major flaws that i wished not to see on the 1/4 figure. first of all, i just don't like hot toys attempts on the legs. they just don't get it right. they put all they affords to the upper half of the figure and the legs are always looking like if they wouldn't have the time or desire to get this figure finished until its end. i just miss the details on the legs, the kevlar parts are too flat, it doesn't remind me, that they are kevlar parts - it almost looks like some superman-pants. i wished to see the kevlar parts to be thicker, more pronounced, and more different from the mesh undersuit. it would give it so much more detail.

another thing is the neck. what i love on the dk-suit is the neck when you look at it from the side or from the back. i just love the curve in it and how it gets connected with the cowl. until now, the figures haven't got that look and i really hoped to see it on this 1/4 figure to have that right look. it's not a fatal error for me, but it could be much better. maybe the neck could have been even a bit thicker then it is now, and that curve on the back should be more pronounced. now, it's more like a straight line. i don't know if someone understand what i'm writing, but it's hard to explain ^^ (you can see on the edited pictures how i've put a curve on the back of the neck)

the last thing, that bothers me, is like maglor said the back of the head. it's just too flat and looks deformed. also the mouthpiece is looking too much out and has a strange look especially on his chin.

i've tried to change the mouthpiece a bit, and also the neck to tell you also in the pictures, what i'm meaning:

qs001-1.png

and thickened here a bit the neck and put also that curve-form on the back of the neck:

qs001-2.png

don't get my nitpicks wrong, i do like the figure, but i would also love to see these things to be improved. the figure itselfs is near perfection, only if they could have done their job on these areas a bit better.
nevertheless, i have my figure on pre-order, but can cancel without paying any cancellation-fees, if enterbay would decide to bring their version too and would make a better job. :D

well after looking a lot at the pictures and movies, i'm really excited to see how this got improved by hot toys. when i look at the figure, especially the sculpt from the front, it looks almost perfect. it's such a big step forward when we look at the older proto-pics.

now it's a very beautiful figure, BUT i still can see some major flaws that i wished not to see on the 1/4 figure. first of all, i just don't like hot toys attempts on the legs. they just don't get it right. they put all they affords to the upper half of the figure and the legs are always looking like if they wouldn't have the time or desire to get this figure finished until its end. i just miss the details on the legs, the kevlar parts are too flat, it doesn't remind me, that they are kevlar parts - it almost looks like some superman-pants. i wished to see the kevlar parts to be thicker, more pronounced, and more different from the mesh undersuit. it would give it so much more detail.

another thing is the neck. what i love on the dk-suit is the neck when you look at it from the side or from the back. i just love the curve in it and how it gets connected with the cowl. until now, the figures haven't got that look and i really hoped to see it on this 1/4 figure to have that right look. it's not a fatal error for me, but it could be much better. maybe the neck could have been even a bit thicker then it is now, and that curve on the back should be more pronounced. now, it's more like a straight line. i don't know if someone understand what i'm writing, but it's hard to explain ^^ (you can see on the edited pictures how i've put a curve on the back of the neck)

the last thing, that bothers me, is like maglor said the back of the head. it's just too flat and looks deformed. also the mouthpiece is looking too much out and has a strange look especially on his chin.

i've tried to change the mouthpiece a bit, and also the neck to tell you also in the pictures, what i'm meaning:

qs001-1.png

and thickened here a bit the neck and put also that curve-form on the back of the neck:

qs001-2.png

don't get my nitpicks wrong, i do like the figure, but i would also love to see these things to be improved. the figure itselfs is near perfection, only if they could have done their job on these areas a bit better.
nevertheless, i have my figure on pre-order, but can cancel without paying any cancellation-fees, if enterbay would decide to bring their version too and would make a better job
. :D

While I agree with you, see your points, and appreciate your effort in explaining that the legs are neglected, the neck is not curved properly, and the cowl is flat in the back, I can't help but to go back and look at the proto pictures. Almost every gripe anybody has about the figure gets an automatic pass in my book. Not saying that I don't want a figure as accurate as possible but almost all sins have been absolved because whatever the hell QS001 was going to be, has likely been killed, buried, and erased from memory. I'll take minor flaws over faceplates, cowl, and eyes that look like they belong to somebody other than Christian Bale.

And as much as I love Enterbays craftsmanship, I can't say their QC would be any different than its been previously with a TDK/TDKR suit. I'm pretty sure you might get an amazing headsculpt but you'd have to get it at the cost of having white and yellow paint splatter on them. It's like Enterbay can't just give you something nice without ****ing you in the process. It's like you're starving and somebody cooks you a homemade grilled cheese sandwich. So, you're thankful. You embrace the person and you embrace the sandwich. Problem is the milk used to make the cheese is from a human female. Or you drop your wallet and somebody returns it to you but at the cost of half the money in there. There's always a "stipulation" or underlying issue with them it feels. When it becomes "what you see is what you get" with them, i'll feel confident in buying another Batman from them.

I've got to agree with you, M0NSTER. While they are flaws, I wouldn't call them major, and, if this is, in fact, the final product, I think it might just have to be a deal with it situation. That's not me being a jerk, as I'm all for further modifications to get this thing to that 99% mark, but I'm just not sure it's happening.

I've got to agree with you, M0NSTER. While they are flaws, I wouldn't call them major, and, if this is, in fact, the final product, I think it might just have to be a deal with it situation. That's not me being a jerk, as I'm all for further modifications to get this thing to that 99% mark, but I'm just not sure it's happening.

No, not by any means. I really don't think a perfect figure exists. Hell, it may not even be possible. But what I do know is that he has literally gone from zero to hero in no time flat. And because of that i'm thinking that any complaints about him are merely more or less "reaching" for something to nitpick rather than having a legitimate problem. The faceplate, cowl, and eyes were undoubtedly issues. The symbol on his chest being slightly misaligned, or the panels on the stomach not being angled at movie accurate degree are petty. The major flaws have been rectified. I believe thats what most of us were concerned about.

Well, we've seen the open mouth and regular/calm look. The only other one left is the angry one. Unless I missed it somewhere in the pictures, it's the only one not shown yet. I would imagine it'll be in there. The other 2 standard ones are present.. :dunno

Yeah, that's what I mean. I would be surprised if an angry mouth isn't included.

qs001-1.png

qs001-2.png

nevertheless, i have my figure on pre-order, but can cancel without paying any cancellation-fees, if enterbay would decide to bring their version too and would make a better job. :D

2 thoughts:

1) I think the face plate can be jammed in more than it is in that pic. A little heat will help, and (if needed) a little sanding.

2) The neck is probably a compromise between accuracy and pose-ability. If it curved out too much at the top you would loose some range of motion.

I just pre ordered one of these bad boys. When it first was shown I didn't really care much. Because like most people I already had the dx12. And this looked the same but just bigger. But now after seeing these new pics. It looks like HT took it to another level and made this guy a must have.

Another thing to remember is that even the minor flaws have been corrected. From the alignment of the plates to the shoulder pads, to the Batsymbol, and, even, the proportions. They've done a wonderful job with this, and anything else is icing on the cake.

It's taken me a while to get into collecting - to become a discerning buyer, getting over the need to own everything. Find out what exactly I want to collect. I bought the HT 1/6 original dk fig on Ebay...turned out the seller was a crook and took £200 off me for a fig with a broken knee. Refused to refund, had to escalate it. Anyhow, long story short...I have waited and waited for a bale batman. I couldn't get into the DX12, was so disappointed with the cartoon eyes. Worse than the DX02.Contemplated the takara/medicom. I've been close to pulling the trigger on the EB...but something kept on stopping me. (I think the body on the EB is a little clunky)

At one stage, I was torn still between 1/4 and 1/6 - can't afford to keep up with both...but glad I've settled on collecting quarter only...easier on the wallet for sure.

I never thought in a million years hot toys would make these levels of improvements to the sculpt and I feel pretty damn excited to be getting this. I'm also feeling a little smug at the amount of cash I've saved waiting. I'd swap every 1/6 Dark Knight hot toy in the world for this thing.

Lesson learned - no impulse buying...let it stew. You're spending a small fortune on any high-end piece, and it's always worth being patient. Never again do I want to feel the need to sell something I paid hundreds for down the line.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I would be surprised if an angry mouth isn't included.

2 thoughts:

1) I think the face plate can be jammed in more than it is in that pic. A little heat will help, and (if needed) a little sanding.

2) The neck is probably a compromise between accuracy and pose-ability. If it curved out too much at the top you would loose some range of motion.

As far as the head goes, could someone, hypothetically, just sculpt the portion onto the back of the head?

This figure looks amazing. I'm very happy HT improved the proto. The proto did not impress me at all for the scale. At 1/4, Batman better look like Batman. The Enterbay bats had it's share of problems, but every time I look at it, its like a mini Bale in my house. Ordered.

I don't think this beats the EB bats for headsculpt overall though. Close. But not quite as good.

Overall figure and package though beats the EB from what I see so far

I don't think this beats the EB bats for headsculpt overall though. Close. But not quite as good.

Im not so sure the headsculpt does either but its such a win on HT part for getting it so close that people aren't really arguing if its Bale. Truth be told, this is the first time they can say they've done that. Better late than never.

I don't know, I think the open mouth face, at the very least, is as good as Enterbay's. That pic I sent you on FB sealed it IMO. When it can pass for a screenshot, it's definitely got chops. The other face looks a lot like Bale, in my opinion, but I think I'll wait to judge it as better or worse than EB's until I see some pics from better angles with the PERS head. If HT is able to knock the Wayne head out of the park and make a third faceplate that is, at least, up to par with these two, I think they've beat EB.

As for the cowl, I'm weighing my options. If someone did offer a replacement that was scanned from the prop, I don't know if I'd want it, if only because amazing squinty PERS, interchangeable faces, and LED Sonar eyes>the back of the head. Now, if they could manage to pull those features from the HT ones and integrate them, I'd be game in a heartbeat.

Mouth is arguably as good. Cowl is definitely not as good. That's the difference

Yeah, I agree with that. I thought you were referring to the Bale likeness on its own, though; my bad. Like I said, though, the only way I'd go custom is if someone really put a lot of effort in. If they even offered conversions, where you'd send the faceplates, and heads, and they'd use it to put the accurate version together, that would be great, but I'm probably dreaming.:lol

It's cool, though. Since there's no way in hell that HT will be able to justify a 2.0, they could just offer an accessory pack later on with a Harvey coin, updated cowls, and six more facial expressions.:D

It's cool, though. Since there's no way in hell that HT will be able to justify a 2.0, they could just offer an accessory pack later on with a Harvey coin, updated cowls, and six more facial expressions.:D

Probably could get all of that cheaper from custom work on here though.

too nickpickie for me :lol

this is looking like the best TDK Trilogy figure ever. Im extremely happy the way this looks. Its not 1:1 size, just really hard to make it 100% perfectly accurate on a toy. But its really really really close for this scale. Now I hope they re-visit the Begins suit in 1:4 because of how ridiculously amazing this one looks :)

Back