Hot Toys Superman (1978 film version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hot Toys Superman

This will need a Fortress of Solitude control pedestal as the display base. I'm thinking about how to make one from selenium crystals and light it from below.

(Officially in geek mode) :panic:

This will need a Fortress of Solitude control pedestal as the display base. I'm thinking about how to make one from selenium crystals and light it from below.

(Officially in geek mode) :panic:

That would be so awesome :)

I'm excited to see what it ends up looking like. Imagine if it's a really solid release and it's cool enough to get us all to want to buy it.

Can't help but say that I hope this means a keaton batman at some point.

This is such great news! I can finally throw my Hot Toys Brandon Routh Supes out of the window to see if it can fly.....

This is such great news! I can finally throw my Hot Toys Brandon Routh Supes out of the window to see if it can fly.....

woa woa woa...hand that Brandon Routh my way if you're gonna do such a thing to it :panic::panic: I still need the 2-in-1 version!

still can't get over this news though. so many thoughts of how it could come out!!!! i hope its an awesome display, like how the Bruce Lee DX got like the whole shabang. i don't want just a base...i want a backdrop and everything. this will take the top spot in my display case and no other figure will be allowed in :D

Brandon Routh catches a bad rap. His biggest sin was he's not Christopher Reeve. He tried to tailor his performance to have some continuity with Reeve. His career has gone nowhere thanks to SR, and it's a pity. It's not his fault.

Superman Return's problems were (IMHO) a lumbering story that didn't have any real action. There was never a great adrenaline moment. It was clearly a starting point for a film series, and it seemed to hold back for the sequel to deliver.

I couldn't hate the movie, however. I just find it deeply flawed. The movie tried to tie into the Reeve film series and had a semi-continuity. The visual effects were very good. I liked the fact that Superman was still noble and good, they avaioded the temptation to "go dark." The characterization was mostly on target. I was cool with the notion that Superman would travel for years if there was even the slightest chance of saving one Kryptonian.

But Kate Boseworth was a bad choice for Lois, and the "Super Stalker" scenes were all wrong. Kevin Spacey only had one scene with Routh. Lex's scheme to create a new continent was stupid. Parker Posey was certainly not a worthy replacement for Ms. Tessbacher.

And Worst. Superman. Costume. Ever.

I'm confident the Nolan brothers and David Goyer will do much better.

Brandon Routh catches a bad rap. His biggest sin was he's not Christopher Reeve. He tried to tailor his performance to have some continuity with Reeve. His career has gone nowhere thanks to SR, and it's a pity. It's not his fault.

Superman Return's problems were (IMHO) a lumbering story that didn't have any real action. There was never a great adrenaline moment. It was clearly a starting point for a film series, and it seemed to hold back for the sequel to deliver.

I couldn't hate the movie, however. I just find it deeply flawed. The movie tried to tie into the Reeve film series and had a semi-continuity. The visual effects were very good. I liked the fact that Superman was still noble and good, they avaioded the temptation to "go dark." The characterization was mostly on target. I was cool with the notion that Superman would travel for years if there was even the slightest chance of saving one Kryptonian.

But Kate Boseworth was a bad choice for Lois, and the "Super Stalker" scenes were all wrong. Kevin Spacey only had one scene with Routh. Lex's scheme to create a new continent was stupid. Parker Posey was certainly not a worthy replacement for Ms. Tessbacher.

And Worst. Superman. Costume. Ever.

Don't really think I could add or take away anything from that at all.

You have pretty much marked my sentiments exactly.

Whoever followed Reeve after was going to catch a lot of s---. People liked his portrayal of the character, and just as importantly they were inspired by Reeve himself. He casts a very long shadow.

Last edited:

reeveHT.jpg

:rock:rock:rock

Except that Nolan want's to put superman in a Vacuum and ignore all other DC continuity, i agree with you.

We've got a golden opportunity to make an all encompassing DC movie universe, and it's not going to happen... for shame.

Backing up. considering that Reve did not look like Ahnold in spandex as superman, i see nothing at all wrong with using the standard TT advanced for him. It's got nice muscle tone, and should work just fine.

To further derail this thread, I've never been a big fan of Superman, and I think it's because not only is Superman unbelievable (which is fine, we're talking comics here), but the entire way the character is written seems unbelievable to me.

To me, Superman is basically a God, and it baffles me that that aspect is never touched upon. I mean, the dude is an alien who can do whatever he wants with his Superpowers, yet everybody on earth seems to accept him as if everything was cool.

If Superman existed, the Church of Superman would appear the very next day; Catholicism, Islam and Judaism would have their foundations rocked to the core; the balance of power between the (ex) super powers would be broken; political institutions and parties would lose all support... and that would just be the beginning.
I feel the character has always been written somewhat naively and that bothers me. The closest I've seen to an interesting, "realistic" portrayal of Superman was in Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

So I guess I kinda miss a more adult/intelligent writing of the character.

Of course, not being a big fan, I haven't read much comics featuring Superman, so maybe I've missed all the good stuff.

Sorry for the derailment!

If Superman existed, the Church of Superman would appear the very next day; Catholicism, Islam and Judaism would have their foundations rocked to the core; the balance of power between the (ex) super powers would be broken; political institutions and parties would lose all support... and that would just be the beginning. ...

So I guess I kinda miss a more adult/intelligent writing of the character.

70 years ago when Superman was created they never would have told a story like that. Not to mention by most accounts Siegal and Shuster were both observant of their Jewish faith. Comics simply weren't ready for adult storytelling like that.

You might read Alan Moore's Marvel Man (published in the US as Miracleman). Marvel Comics has recently acquired the character and will soon reprint Alan Moore/Neil Gaiman issues. They've been reprinting some of the Mick Anglo stuff which is very lighthearted and campy, but that will change. Moore and later Gaiman wrote the very thing your describe. I'd rather not spoil you if you haven't read it. Just trust me and add it to your pull bag at your favorite comic store.

Bryan Singer crapping up Superman Returns is the one reason I hate him. Before he got the job, he wanted to make a bad ass movie, but instead produced a gay ass movie with a stupid script from those two jack asses. So it took two guys to come up with a crappy script? Also the gay ass suit with the crew neck and huge ass cape and all the gay ass "S" everwhere. Can't believe we waited 20 years for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back