Hot Toys Superman (1978 film version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hot Toys Superman

Christopher Reeve as Superman is classic, everyone knows that but the movies sucked ass. Part 1 isn't horrid but its maybe a 7/10. Batman Begins is easily one of the best superhero movies ever made. If not the best.

Those are all your opinions bro, Just like i stated that it was my opinion that STM is the best superhero movie to date.

Please don't tell me that i don't understand movies (cause i think score is important) when i was stating my opinion and then come along stating yours as fact!

(you disappoint me Voorhees with your tact.) :rotfl

(I think BB is a good movie, i just think STM is better. And i also think the holy grail DK is vastly overrated.) Now Superman 3&4 do not exist to me (this is all just MY OPINION of course :wink1:)

I'd say Superman The Movie is the best comic movie. The movie has the look and feel straight from a comic book.

I'd agree with this.

Last edited:

The only thing I disagree on is the importance of a score making up 50%+ of a film. Sorry to offend. I also never said that BB being the best comic movie ever made was a fact. It too was my opinion. :)

Superman 1 and 2 are still awesome to me
Classic movies that have stood the test of time

I have to agree, althought the special effects have dated and some of the costumes (especially in Superman 2) look really dated, those movies are some of the best ever. For anyone who doesn't think that the Christopher Reeves Superman movies are good I have one thing to say:

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

Well I think the only fact of the matter here is clearly that my opinion can beat up anyone else's opinion. :nana:

As for the score, it is very heroic. And the opening theme is the best ever.

Williams made some great themes, but Goldsmith schooled him when it came to scores.

I think Superman I and II have held up relatively fine in 30 years, some of it is dated of course. It will be interesting to see how well BB stands the time in 30 years....

A good film is a good film no matter how old it is. The Godfather was made in 1972 and it's still a masterpiece by today's standards.

Some characters go beyond their respective films, Christopher Reeve as Superman is one of them.

A good film is a good film no matter how old it is. The Godfather was made in 1972 and it's still a masterpiece by today's standards.

Some characters go beyond their respective films, Christopher Reeve as Superman is one of them.

Yeah well thats just it. Reeve stands the test of time but the films hes in don't IMO. The comedy treatment of Lex Luthor and his clumsy sidekick, the reversing time thing, silly things like Zod not knowing what water is, the dated effects and slow battle scenes etc.

Superman returns was a borefest, granted, so it has that against it but the plane rescue was one scene that really showed the coolness of what a modern film could do with Superman. Unfortunately it'll never be Reeve again.

Yeah well thats just it. Reeve stands the test of time but the films hes in don't IMO. The comedy treatment of Lex Luthor and his clumsy sidekick, the reversing time thing, silly things like Zod not knowing what water is, the dated effects and slow battle scenes etc.

Superman returns was a borefest, granted, so it has that against it but the plane rescue was one scene that really showed the coolness of what a modern film could do with Superman. Unfortunately it'll never be Reeve again.

True, but didn't Reeves save a Helicopter in the first movie.

Superman 1 and II and III are classics. I really like Superman II more than I because the fighting scenes at the time was out of this world. I remember as a kid I would try to recreate the fight scenes with my toys.

A fave article of mine.
:)
No Superhero Movie Will Ever Beat The Original Superman Film

Matthew Milam on <abbr class="published" title="2010-03-11T17:13:39-06:00">03.11.10 at 5:13 </abbr>

The Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight.

I'm so sick of hearing how The Dark Knight is the best comic-book movie ever. I watched the same thing everyone else praised to death and didn't see the hype. Heath Ledger was the only thing worth watching. Christian Bale, who is supposed to be going for a deeper, more complex take on Batman, barely registers on film.

For a film about Batman, much like during the Tim Burton/Michael Keaton era, the attention always seems to go towards the villain. For a character that isn't the perfect boy scout that Superman is often stereotyped as, Batman doesn't seem to get the same kind of love from Hollywood. Mostly the problem with making a good Batman film is that people refuse to learn from the 1978 Superman film.

At the time the film was being made, it was done mostly for the same reason superhero movies are done now -- for money. You had the comic books and all of the merchandise being sold all over America, why on earth would you need a film series? I'm sure this isn't the complete reason this was done, but i'm going to take a shot.

Comic-book films, much like anything that is based on something already made, already have an interested audience. Fans of the character adapted get to see whether the filmmakers properly adapted the source material and fit a proper budget to make the world of the comic book character come to life. Up until the 1978 Superman film, comic-book movies were seen as a waste of studio funds and often made iconic heroes no more than cardboard cut-outs..

With Richard Donner directing, Tom Mankiewicz doing the script and John Williams scoring the film, a possible piece of crap of cinema became a celluloid masterpiece. His Krypton days, his days on his adopted parents farm in Smallville to his realization of his purpose on earth as a champion on the people were all given special attention so that people who had never read a Superman comic book would actually realize why the character is important to American culture.

If you base the original Superman film franchise as a whole, the sequels don't match up to the original. As a film on it's own ignoring the sequels, the original Superman film stands as being the Citizen Kane of the comic book film genre. Batman, which is supposed to connect with the less positive side of life, isn't really given the same sort of treatment.

Even Tim Burton's take on Batman didn't go heavily into the character's origins. Basically you are left with the idea that he grew up with a set of well-to-do parents who suddenly got killed by some random thugs and left the young Bruce Wayne with a tainted idea of how the world is. As an adult, and as Batman, that doesn't really change -- except for the fact that he now wears a suit.

Unlike Superman, Batman doesn't really have anyone that understands him. Alfred, his butler, is his only family and the only one that understands him. Outside of that and his rather quirky nomad lifestyle, there isn't really much for him.

I understand why people like Batman as he is more of a regular Superhero. I just would think that Batman would get a better movie where he is actually the focus, not the secondary character. Until that happens, The 1978 Superman film still stands as the best of the superhero genre.

Erm...did the person who wrote that somehow skip Batman Begins?? TDK didn't do the Batman origin story because it was the second film. BB had already done it and in that film Batman himself was most definitely, unquestionably, the focus. And I don't buy that TDK was so much less about Batman and more about the Joker. Bull. Thats just presumption based on the Ledger hype. That guy needs to watch TDK again, compare the screentime Joker had next to Bruce Wayne/Batman for one thing. Joker wasn't even given an origin story like the villains always were in the previous Batman films. So I just don't see how that guy can say what he is saying.

Last edited:

Erm...did the person who wrote that somehow skip Batman Begins?? TDK didn't do the Batman origin story because it was the second film. BB had already done it and in that film Batman himself was most definitely, unquestionably, the focus. And I don't buy that TDK was so much less about Batman and more about the Joker. Bull. Thats just presumption based on the Ledger hype. That guy needs to watch TDK again, compare the screentime Joker had next to Bruce Wayne/Batman for one thing. Joker wasn't even given an origin story like the villains always were in the previous Batman films. So I just don't see how that guy can say what he is saying.

:exactly: That guy just seemed to be angry about something and didn't really stop to think...

Getting back to the point of the thread -

I confess to having given up on Hot Toys having seen some of their recent choices. I just couldn't reconcile why anybody would require a figure of Adrien Brody over an iconic figure fans have demanded for over 32 years...So the announcement was a genuine and welcome suprise. In fact, having been part of the campaign started and maintained here (and the lynching on their facebook page) I'm elated - this is the figure I've coveted since I started collecting!!

So - now that we have just cause to speculate - here's what I'd like to see.

*The definitive likeness I find HT often betray themselves with their photography - I saw the Sarah Connor up close the other day and it was exquisite - better than any pics. The Brando had a seperately moulded piece to make the kiss-curl float. That would work.

*Alternate Clark Kent headsculpt Its a DX after all. Expect a business suit/overcoat/briefcase to match. A hat would be nice but would have to be moulded.

*Alternate sets of hands for fun lets say loose, flying (flat) and fists.

*Crystals. The green one is a must. A couple of clear ones wouldn't hurt either. Even a small control panel like Matell's is possible.

*A wired cape Most Superman figures have capes that flare out at the bottom - it would be nice to have control to shape it.

*The genuine Superman costume Lets see if they are brave with the colour - Steel Teal as opposed to Navy Blue. The symbols also have to be spot-on. Don't worry about the teaser shown by HT - its one of the original Variety promo's for the movie, not meant to reflect the finished article.

Not exactly exhaustive but any of the above and I'll be sated - Thoughts guys?

My main concern is with the cut of the suit against the TT body. If you look at the older SR figure, it's very awkward around the waist/ belt area. The DCD KC Supes is terrible in the hips area (I know, apples & oranges, but just a note of comparison). It's got to look perfect. Pad the suit, or the body, or whatever, it just can't look awkward or doll-like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back