Hot Toys Superman (1978 film version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the released version of part one is pretty much the Donner cut. There are slightly different versions out there (TV re-edit for example). But no major difference. And I guess they were going to work out a new ending for part 2. But he never got the chance.

So why not leave the ending as is for the Donner cut then? Have two endings with the same trick is not cool. Everything else in the cut I thought was fine.

Donner essentially showed how he had wanted to end Superman at the beginning. They basically recut the ending of S1 at the beginning of the Donner Cut to reflect the original intent.

S1 was to end with one of the missiles going into space and freeing the Kryptonians from the Phantom Zone. They shout "We're Free" and fly towards earth, setting a teaser for S2. The Sulkinds felt there needed to be an emotional punch, and Lois dying in the strongest story point in the two films. The Sulkinds urged Donner to move it to S1, and they would work out a new ending to S2 later. Donner was fired and Puzo left with him, as did many other people involved with production - most noticeably Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, John Williams and Mario Puzo.

With Puzo and Donner gone the ending of S2 became the weaker ending. Plastic 'S'. Magic Kiss. No destruction of the Fortress.

bannerle.jpg

The Reeve Superman in that picture is not the HT figure, its the Cinemaquette.

SnakeDoc

i thought that was it since they have Arnie and IM standing on each side of him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back