1/6 Hot Toys Stormtroopers Deluxe Version MMS514/515

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a mass market manufacturer, Hasbro occasionally did some pretty cool (and somewhat accurate) stuff - and for prices that are kind of lol compared to what 1/6 stuff goes for these days. Even the Hasbro bike's tilting stand is kind of cool.

I loved that 12" scout trooper/bike - and back in those days it always seemed like it was easy to get stuff on deep sale. I don't think I paid more than $30-40 for that Speeder bike and scout back in the day.

My guess is the HT Scout figure and bike will be ten times that - probably $350-400 (if we're lucky.) It'll be fascinating to see how HT attempts the Biker Scout though - it's a really oddly proportioned costume and very tricky to get looking right.

Wow, that looks great Talibane. I was never that convinced by the other Hasbro bike mods, but yours is one of the best I've seen and actually has me reconsidering the idea now.

That looks beautiful!!! Congrats on that speeder!!! Have you ever placed a ss scout? Think it would look great!

Jesm.

The Hasbro bike is a bit oversized and it's too broad/wide, but yeah - with some modding it may be good enough to prevent people from buying a HT bike. I rebuilt mine and added weathering and display it with my $40 custom Biker (mostly Hasbro parts) - as always, it makes a decent placeholder until HT does the definitive version. Maybe it'd keep it in the background and put a Luke or Leia Endor on the HT bike (wow - what a display HT Luke/Leia Endor and a HT Biker, each on a HT bike, would make!)

5ILbR5h.jpg

dIH46K0.jpg

That’s a great mod! Could you please tell me how you lowered the air intake and changed the front vanes? I haven’t had the cajones to adapt mine.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, that looks great Talibane. I was never that convinced by the other Hasbro bike mods, but yours is one of the best I've seen and actually has me reconsidering the idea now.

Yeah, it was kind of fun to do. So long as you understand it is a bit oversized, especially width (even though its the dimension you notice the least, you can still see it in the way the figure has to be displayed with the legs splayed.) I can post some more pics, but I guess I should put those in the customs section - will have to dig up my old custom thread.

That looks beautiful!!! Congrats on that speeder!!! Have you ever placed a ss scout? Think it would look great!

Jesm.

I had the Sideshow scout for a while but it had a few issues for me - aside from the helmet, a key one was the armor was a bit matte and slightly yellowish (kind like bone actually) instead of bright white and glossy. I did use a few Sideshow Scout parts - the belt and rear grenade.

I still haven't weathered the custom scout or finished the gloves (they are two piece for articulation.)

That’s a great mod! Could you please tell me how you lowered the air intake and changed the front vanes? I haven’t had the cajones to adapt mine.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just pulled the intake out and used some scratch-built bits from the parts bin. And same with the vanes. I just have a lot of kit "junk" I save and use for custom stuff. You could also figure out what you need and buy some styrene from a hobby shop to use - its more expensive, but you can get exactly what you need.

There are some good ref pics online of the speeder bike prop - very up-close to match the parts pretty closely.

I just pulled the intake out and used some scratch-built bits from the parts bin. And same with the vanes. I just have a lot of kit "junk" I save and use for custom stuff. You could also figure out what you need and buy some styrene from a hobby shop to use - its more expensive, but you can get exactly what you need.

There are some good ref pics online of the speeder bike prop - very up-close to match the parts pretty closely.

Thanks. I'll have to make some plans!

These look great actually.

I might have to splurge on one when they come out. Have the scout troopers been teased at all by Hot Toys?

Also, does anyone think the 1/4 Trooper will be more ROTJ or ANH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went ahead and ordered one of these. It's a small detail, but I really prefer the more rounded lenses on this helmet to the ANH version. Just makes it stand out a bit more somehow.

Hi guys. Thinking of grabbing 2 Deluxes. But I am riddled with doubt... :-(
Disclaimer: I don't care about tiny nuances. As far as it closely resembles the baddies in white, it is ok with me.

Eyes are great in the new version. Also the weathering and added details on the armor. But I miss the ribbed paintjob on the nose cut, as shown here:

https://www.hottoysph.com/checklist/wp-content/uploads/mms514-s10.jpg

... and those shoulder bells flare out non-sensically... You can see it best on this pic:

https://www.hottoysph.com/checklist/wp-content/uploads/mms514-s9.jpg

I guess this is the way things are, take it or leave little whatever, but if any of you has anything interesting to say about this "improvements", it will be more than welcome. Also, the shoulder bells not seeming to have much of a weathering on them, could be easibly replaceable with traditional ones, I guess. Alas, the same doesn't apply to the nose cut...

Also, aren't the elbows (on the new as well as on the older version), and actually the whole arms, too ridiculously skinny???
I know this is a 1/6 figure, that the armor hinders articulation and you need a special body, which is skinnier, but heck... there is a huge gap between the armor and the arms! Why? What's the use? How does having the armor dangling on the arm help with articulation? It also happens with the thighs. You can see it all here:

https://www.hottoysph.com/checklist/wp-content/uploads/mms514-s11.jpg

I am no Stormie scholar, so this one is for all the Storm-savvy fellows in the room: can't this be improved or fixed, without hurting poseability?

Thanks eveybody,
m.

You have to understand that the new Stormtrooper is an idealized rendition of the ROTJ version, as opposed to the already released one which is made after than ANH.

Hey guys what is the problem with the handlebars you both talk about? Hadn't heard of that yet... :-(((
Do they break? Aren't they accurate? They did to me.... :-(((
Was it fixable?????? :-(((((

I am also looking at movie stills and having trouble to even tell if the Hasbro one is too large. To my uneducated eyes, it is just OK...

Have any of you guys performed a size comparison? Maybe on the thread devoted to the SSC bike...?

Thanks,
m.

A HT Scout and speeder bike would be a pretty grail piece (something along the lines of the SSC Premium F Biker/bike,) though the Sideshow bike is nice/accurate other than the handlebars. It's possibly a little undersized too, but not by much.

But my guess is some would pass on the HT bike as there would be cheaper options - with modding even the Hasbro bike is pretty nice. Some passed on the SSC bike due to the Hasbro being dirt cheap and decent looking. Who'd have thought.

But yeah - c'mon Death Star Trooper.

I still have the old Hasbro Speederbike on display on top of my cabinets and with a bit of weathering it looks great. The SSC bike is cool, indeed a bit undersized and more fragile, with some issues on the handles. I might get a HT bike, but need to see if it would be a real upgrade over these 2.

I'd really like to see HT Death Star Trooper, Sandtrooper & 1/4 Stormie. And Snowtrooper Commander.

You have to understand that the new Stormtrooper is an idealized rendition of the ROTJ version, as opposed to the already released one which is made after than ANH.

Exactly. :lecture

The title is slightly misleading. This is not an improved "deluxe" version of the previously released figure.

It's an RotJ trooper (but they toned down the squished helmet and overpainted grill), which is overall surprisingly different from the ANH trooper.

The Hasbro bike is a bit oversized and it's too broad/wide, but yeah - with some modding it may be good enough to prevent people from buying a HT bike. I rebuilt mine and added weathering and display it with my $40 custom Biker (mostly Hasbro parts) - as always, it makes a decent placeholder until HT does the definitive version. Maybe it'd keep it in the background and put a Luke or Leia Endor on the HT bike (wow - what a display HT Luke/Leia Endor and a HT Biker, each on a HT bike, would make!)

5ILbR5h.jpg

dIH46K0.jpg

That's amazing. Repped.

Personally I'm fine with a more idealized version after checking out the real thing again and seeing how rough and asymmetrical they were up close. I love that asymmetry on the Vader helmet and think it's necessary to properly capture the character, but with the Stormtroopers I just don't see the need for that level of accuracy.

Back