1/6 Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Luke Skywalker-CRAIT (Force Projection) -

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Luke Skywalker (Force Projection) - CONFIRM

And to your point - again, the ONLY thing that matters is what's onscreen. I looked at the shot in the film and - whatever the intention - it doesn't look wrecked. It looks submerged but perfectly intact - no visible damage, nothing missing. So based on the books, the Art Dept and FX departments failed to clearly convey "burned/rusted/scuttled/rotting spaceship."

I agree that the only thing which matters is what is seen onscreen. But if the director is going to show a starship, at a distance and underwater, then it's important that the audience actually see it. And if it is burned, dismantled, rotted, submerged, and seen from Rey's perspective, then I imagine there is a good chance that a portion of the audience may not recognize it. If it had been a submerged and heaping wreck, I can easily picture my dad leaning over to me in the theater and asking, "What was that?" So, you have to make it as recognizable as possible, since it is being seen at a distance, and underwater.

For me, I try to keep the intent of the filmmaker in mind while analyzing the film post-viewing. While watching the movie, I was not thinking about whether or not the ship was salvageable. In fact, I never noticed that his hut door was formerly a part of his X-Wing until I saw it pointed out in the Visual Dictionary. I was taking each piece of information presented as I believe it was intended: to convey a sense of character, and to move the plot forward. Now, if I were to ponder that detail while watching the scene, I'm pretty sure my thought would have been, "If my car had been submerged in salt water for 20 years, that sucker ain't gonna turn over when I put the key in it." By being underwater, as opposed to sitting on land with a tarp over it, I got the message that I believe the director was trying to send: he scuttled the ship - dude ain't leaving.

Re: Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Luke Skywalker (Force Projection) - CONFIRM

I agree that the only thing which matters is what is seen onscreen. But if the director is going to show a starship, at a distance and underwater, then it's important that the audience actually see it. And if it is burned, dismantled, rotted, submerged, and seen from Rey's perspective, then I imagine there is a good chance that a portion of the audience may not recognize it. If it had been a submerged and heaping wreck, I can easily picture my dad leaning over to me in the theater and asking, "What was that?" So, you have to make it as recognizable as possible, since it is being seen at a distance, and underwater.

For me, I try to keep the intent of the filmmaker in mind while analyzing the film post-viewing. While watching the movie, I was not thinking about whether or not the ship was salvageable. In fact, I never noticed that his hut door was formerly a part of his X-Wing until I saw it pointed out in the Visual Dictionary. I was taking each piece of information presented as I believe it was intended: to convey a sense of character, and to move the plot forward. Now, if I were to ponder that detail while watching the scene, I'm pretty sure my thought would have been, "If my car had been submerged in salt water for 20 years, that sucker ain't gonna turn over when I put the key in it." By being underwater, as opposed to sitting on land with a tarp over it, I got the message that I believe the director was trying to send: he scuttled the ship - dude ain't leaving.

Well, if you look at the star destroyer on Jakku in TFA - THAT'S a starship that's going nowhere. In a 0.5 second image we instantly know nobody's going to start that up and fly anywhere.

The focus on the x-wing began because it's part of the "why Luke couldn't go to Crait" discussion. So it's not just a throwaway idea - it's his "ride." And on an island where there really isn't any flat ground, do you have to park a spaceship in the shallows, not far from the shoreline? Maybe.

A 2 second shot of an x-wing at the bottom of a cliff, fuselage bent and partly burnt, missing a cannon, but still instantly recognizable as an x-wing - that's 100% clear. Luke shoved it off the cliff and it's junk and going nowhere. But they didn't do that.

As a prop choice for the Luke/Leia exchange in TLJ I found them to be a contrivance that doesn't organically flow out of the OT or TFA since there is not a single scene featuring the dice when Leia was ever actually in the cockpit of the Falcon. We as the audience are left to simply assume that she even knows they exist let alone recognize any sentimental attachment that Han might have had toward them. Just another example of the ST running with a notion that is given but the faintest on-screen explanation IMO.

But I've resigned myself to this new trilogy being "chock" (;)) full of characters that know what they know simply because the audience does. TFA Rey plays like someone who watched the OT, TLJ Rose plays like someone who watched TFA so I guess we're to go one step further and just assume that Leia watched "Solo" and therefore is already well-versed in the significance of Han's dice, lol.

There is a kind of "meta" aspect to the ST - where as you say, everyone seems to have literally watched the OT "in universe" and are "fans" of the OT heroes. I love how in ANH Ben Kenobi's a hero of the clone wars and yet Luke knows him as "crazy old Ben" - the creepy old dude whose house you avoid, not the guy you say "golly gosh are you THE Ben Kenobi??!! That uses the FORCE?!":lol

But who knows, with the internet and social media generation upon us, even real life has started to take on a meta aspect, so maybe it works. We can can exchange tweets with our heroes while they sit on the toilet at 2am. Just like leaders, I guess every generation gets the SW films they deserve. Or need or whatever, not to talk them down - what speaks for them.

Re: dice, not sure what prop they could have used as there really isn't any particular object that would connect Leia to Han and have Luke be aware of it. Even something like Han's Yavin medal wouldn't have had much mojo to it. The dice just really jumped out at me as a wtf because it's so totally random, really only known to hardcore fans as an in-joke "making-of" thing. If they had had even some tiny OT moment where Leia bumps her head on them or something it would have at least foregrounded them.

And on an island where there really isn't any flat ground, do you have to park a spaceship in the shallows, not far from the shoreline? Maybe.

You mean like where they parked the Falcon? 😉

Exactly. It’s character building. In an already long movie, they convey the idea with a single quick shot and move on. Some things you just have to take at face value from a film perspective.

I do agree the dice were an odd choice. The biggest role the dice play in any film (except Solo as maybe they’re in that? Haven’t seen it yet) is from an extended/deleted shot from TFA when Han gets the Falcon back and he pulls them out and hangs them up in the cockpit. You can see them in frame grabs in ANH, but unless you know what they are they’re extremely easy to miss.

Last edited:
Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Luke Skywalker (Force Projection) - CONFIRMED

As we see in Solo, the dice mean a lot to Han. Surely during his and Leia’s years of relationship between the films, in which Ben Solo was conceived, the dice would have been made known to her. I don’t ever remember knowing about those dice (unless they were ingrained into my subconscious from decades of watching these movies). Yet, during my first viewing of TLJ, when Luke pulled them out, I immediately thought of Han.
Also, upon my first viewing, I presumed that X-Wing had been dumped there for decades and wasn’t going anywhere. If Luke was planning to use it again, he might have parked it in the spot the Millennium Falcon would later occupy.
Perhaps the Director wanted it to be unclear to add to the belief Luke actually comes to Crait. That could be an explanation going through the minds of some audience members. “I knew that X-Wing wasn’t toast! He totally levitated it out of the water and came to Crait!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I often see people refer to Luke as "sitting on the island for 20 or 30 years" but I never got that impression at all. I picture him as being on that island maybe 2 or 3 years tops. TFA seems to imply that the attack on the Jakku village might actually be the first official offensive of the FO. The fact that Leia's Resistance operates independent of the inert Republic fleet implies that the galaxy at large doesn't even really see the FO as an active threat. Luke also states to Rey that "for many years there was balance" referring to the time after ROTJ.

Also with Snoke's comment about completing Kylo's training I wouldn't think that he had been a convert for very long. The films always struck me as taking place not too long after Kylo's conversion and the first official mobilization of the FO. That assumption goes a long way in me not being put off by the "negated" victory of ROTJ. 20+ years of peace was a substantial accomplishment especially since that was the same amount of time (or longer) that the Empire reigned.

Per SW:Bloodline, 6 years prior to TFA, Ben Solo hadn't turned and the FO was not an active menace, so the amount of time Luke was on the island can't be longer than that. 6 years Max, but probably less. Watching the movies, I also got the impression that the FO and the New Republic hadn't been in any open warfare.

I often see people refer to Luke as "sitting on the island for 20 or 30 years" but I never got that impression at all. I picture him as being on that island maybe 2 or 3 years tops. TFA seems to imply that the attack on the Jakku village might actually be the first official offensive of the FO. The fact that Leia's Resistance operates independent of the inert Republic fleet implies that the galaxy at large doesn't even really see the FO as an active threat. Luke also states to Rey that "for many years there was balance" referring to the time after ROTJ.

Also with Snoke's comment about completing Kylo's training I wouldn't think that he had been a convert for very long. The films always struck me as taking place not too long after Kylo's conversion and the first official mobilization of the FO. That assumption goes a long way in me not being put off by the "negated" victory of ROTJ. 20+ years of peace was a substantial accomplishment especially since that was the same amount of time (or longer) that the Empire reigned.

Well, I didn't have a problem with the "Just For Men" Luke projection before - because I assumed he wanted to look more similar to the way Kylo last saw him. But if he aged so dramatically in just 2 or 3 years . . . now I kinda hate the Just For Men aspect. Dammit, Khev! :lol

Per SW:Bloodline, 6 years prior to TFA, Ben Solo hadn't turned and the FO was not an active menace, so the amount of time Luke was on the island can't be longer than that. 6 years Max, but probably less. Watching the movies, I also got the impression that the FO and the New Republic hadn't been in any open warfare.

I'm pretty sure someone at LFL confirmed that Kylo is supposed to be 29/30 years old in TFA & TLJ. So if he turned on Luke less than 6 years prior, does that mean that he wasn't supposed to be any younger than 24 in the TLJ flashbacks?

And the TLJ novel describes one of the flashback scenes this way: "Luke Skywalker looks down at his nephew Ben Solo - no longer a boy but not yet a man."

With the potential for Episode IX to add to an already-sketchy timeline . . . I've got a bad feeling about this.

I assumed he wanted to look more similar to the way Kylo last saw him.

To me that gets into weird "Hayden ghost territory" so I prefer to think that Luke had his projection appear younger to give more confidence to the Resistance and intimidation to Kylo and to better trick him into expecting a legitimate fight. If his purpose was only to appear as Kylo last remembered him then he assumedly would have wielded the green lightsaber.

Whatever the "official" reason for his visual look on Crait is I absolutely love it so I'm fine going full "apologist" to explain it away, lol.

To me that gets into weird "Hayden ghost territory" so I prefer to think that Luke had his projection appear younger to give more confidence to the Resistance and intimidation to Kylo and to better trick him into expecting a legitimate fight. If his purpose was only to appear as Kylo last remembered him then he assumedly would have wielded the green lightsaber.

Whatever the "official" reason for his visual look on Crait is I absolutely love it so I'm fine going full "apologist" to explain it away, lol.

Do we know what happened to the green lightsaber? Is it possible that Kylo took it before setting Luke's academy ablaze? He does seem obsessed with owning family lightsabers. :lol That could be a potential reason for Luke to use the blue version in his Crait projection. But, yeah, I'd like to know what Johnson's rationale for the blue one actually was. If anyone knows, I'd really appreciate that bit of insight.

Maybe the green lightsaber has been set aside (story-wise) for Rey? :dunno

Do we know what happened to the green lightsaber? Is it possible that Kylo took it before setting Luke's academy ablaze? He does seem obsessed with owning family lightsabers. :lol That could be a potential reason for Luke to use the blue version in his Crait projection. But, yeah, I'd like to know what Johnson's rationale for the blue one actually was. If anyone knows, I'd really appreciate that bit of insight.

Maybe the green lightsaber has been set aside (story-wise) for Rey? :dunno

He’s said that Luke’s appearance, including the heirloom lightsaber, was tailored in every way to cater toward Kylo’s emotion/anger in order to have the most effect.

Last edited:

I figured it was because Kylo felt the blue lightsaber was his by right, so Luke wielding it would really set Kylo off, insuring his focus stayed on Luke, not the base. Also I think just from a visual storytelling perspective, the blue one is a great visual cue that Luke isn't there, but it also shows that Kylo is so blinded by his rage that he can't think clearly, and that leads to his failure.

From an interview with Johnson:
[Luke] is basically tailoring this projection to have maximum effect on Kylo," Johnson explained. "He knows that Kylo’s Achilles heel is his rage, and so that’s why he kind of makes himself look younger, the way Kylo would’ve last seen him in their confrontation at the temple, and that’s why he decided to bring Kylo’s grandfather’s lightsaber down there -- the lightsaber that Kylo screamed at Rey, ‘that’s mine, that belongs to me.’" As far as Johnson's concerned, Luke believes that Anakin's lightsaber will have a much more visceral impact on the erstwhile Ben Solo than Luke's own green blade.

edit: From same interview regarding whether Kylo knew what happened to the lightsaber after he and Rey struggle for it:
"We as an audience saw that... The truth is, we see the lightsaber split in half -- Kylo sees a blinding flash of light and is knocked unconscious, and then Rey takes the lightsaber away before he wakes up," he said. "So if you really want to dig into it and get an explanation, you can say that he doesn’t 100 percent know what happened to the lightsaber."

He’s said that Luke’s appearance, including the heirloom lightsaber, was tailored in every way to cater toward Kylo’s emotion/anger in order to have the most affect.

I figured it was because Kylo felt the blue lightsaber was his by right, so Luke wielding it would really set Kylo off, insuring his focus stayed on Luke, not the base. Also I think just from a visual storytelling perspective, the blue one is a great visual cue that Luke isn't there, but it also shows that Kylo is so blinded by his rage that he can't think clearly, and that leads to his failure.

[Luke] is basically tailoring this projection to have maximum effect on Kylo," Johnson explained. "He knows that Kylo’s Achilles heel is his rage, and so that’s why he kind of makes himself look younger, the way Kylo would’ve last seen him in their confrontation at the temple, and that’s why he decided to bring Kylo’s grandfather’s lightsaber down there -- the lightsaber that Kylo screamed at Rey, ‘that’s mine, that belongs to me.’" As far as Johnson's concerned, Luke believes that Anakin's lightsaber will have a much more visceral impact on the erstwhile Ben Solo than Luke's own green blade.

edit: From same interview regarding whether Kylo knew what happened to the lightsaber after he and Rey struggle for it:
"We as an audience saw that... The truth is, we see the lightsaber split in half -- Kylo sees a blinding flash of light and is knocked unconscious, and then Rey takes the lightsaber away before he wakes up," he said. "So if you really want to dig into it and get an explanation, you can say that he doesn’t 100 percent know what happened to the lightsaber."

Okay; I have no problem with that justification for the blue lightsaber. Thank you both! Much appreciated. :duff

Thanks for the thorough explanation.
Upon my first viewing (opening night):
As soon as Luke casually walked into the Crait mine, I knew something was up. When he removed his hood, I thought he and Leia were having some sort of Jedi conversation no one else could see, but I thought, “Wait, C3PO sees him...?” Then, when he walked out in front of the entire First Order to take them on alone, I was like, “No way, Dude! That’s suicide!” When they blasted him to hell I was upset, but when he brushed off his shoulder I was like, “Oh man! He isn’t even there! It’s some kind of projection!”
For me, as a member of the audience, Luke pulling out Anakin’s saber finally proved something was up (because we’d seen it destroyed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always felt it was more of a symbolic thing because Luke rejects the saber from Rey twice in the beginning and in the middle of the movie. It's him "accepting" the saber in a way at the end.
Also, Luke is ending his journey with his father's lightsaber, the one he started his journey with.

I always felt it was more of a symbolic thing because Luke rejects the saber from Rey twice in the beginning and in the middle of the movie. It's him "accepting" the saber in a way at the end.

Absolutely! :clap

You mean like where they parked the Falcon? ��

Exactly. It’s character building. In an already long movie, they convey the idea with a single quick shot and move on. Some things you just have to take at face value from a film perspective.

I meant secure storage for years. The one tiny clearing perched on the edge of a sheer cliff (from what you see, on the whole island) - where the Falcon just barely squeezes - in a climate that sees wind/raging storms is probably not a good place to store a ship long-term.:dunno

And "face value"? The simple fact is, because it was such a KEY shot - that's one of the reasons Luke can't go to Crait and has to die - they should have made the X-wing CLEARLY a wreck. If you compare the shot in the movie to the concept artwork, even the artwork is very clear as you can see holes in the fuselage, its laying at an angle, hard up against the rocky shoreline and a wing has broken off. It looks destroyed and derelict, not going anywhere. THAT is clear.

The final shot in the movie is NOT - the x-wing in the movie is intact, undamaged and sitting level.... even the red wing markings are still visible against a white hull. Totally unlike this image:

w4S7sDE.jpg

That artwork... shows a wrecked x-wing. The final shot in the movie - is very debatable and unclear.

Anyone could believe that Luke could have walked up to that cliff at the critical moment, put his hand out and seen that x-wing rise from the water.

I mean, dude - it's LUKE'S X-WING SUBMERGED IN WATER. When was the last time you saw that... and what did Luke eventually do? Think, McFly, THINK.:lol

I do agree the dice were an odd choice. The biggest role the dice play in any film (except Solo as maybe they’re in that? Haven’t seen it yet) is from an extended/deleted shot from TFA when Han gets the Falcon back and he pulls them out and hangs them up in the cockpit. You can see them in frame grabs in ANH, but unless you know what they are they’re extremely easy to miss.

As we see in Solo, the dice mean a lot to Han. Surely during his and Leia’s years of relationship between the films, in which Ben Solo was conceived, the dice would have been made known to her. I don’t ever remember knowing about those dice (unless they were ingrained into my subconscious from decades of watching these movies). Yet, during my first viewing of TLJ, when Luke pulled them out, I immediately thought of Han.
Also, upon my first viewing, I presumed that X-Wing had been dumped there for decades and wasn’t going anywhere. If Luke was planning to use it again, he might have parked it in the spot the Millennium Falcon would later occupy.
Perhaps the Director wanted it to be unclear to add to the belief Luke actually comes to Crait. That could be an explanation going through the minds of some audience members. “I knew that X-Wing wasn’t toast! He totally levitated it out of the water and came to Crait!”

Yeah, what a misguided choice for a KEY emotion-driven prop that's supposed to have resonance for us, for Leia and for Kylo. People's subjective assumptions or throwaway inclusions never seen in DELETED scenes aside, this proves the point.

And yes the deleted scenes moment also so clearly proves the point that "the only thing which matters is what is seen onscreen." Um, I think...

And no, I know this is going to come off as aggressive, and I don’t mean it to be so, but knowing about a throwaway inclusion of a prop in a deleted scene is in no way a "level of scrutiny that just seems exhausting.":monkey3:slap

I assume that Rian didn't show that the X-Wing was wrecked so that people would assume that he flew it to Crait and would thus be surprised at the Projection reveal. Which is fine but that's why I mentioned a while back that I would have tweaked the editing after his death to show a close-up of the X-Wing with key points of the hull corroded away and then the sun setting on the island before cutting back to the Resistance.

That would have preserved the surprise while later making it clear that he had no choice but to project himself if he wanted to help.

I assume that Rian didn't show that the X-Wing was wrecked so that people would assume that he flew it to Crait and would thus be surprised at the Projection reveal. Which is fine but that's why I mentioned a while back that I would have tweaked the editing after his death to show a close-up of the X-Wing with key points of the hull corroded away and then the sun setting on the island before cutting back to the Resistance.

That would have preserved the surprise while later making it clear that he had no choice but to project himself if he wanted to help.

Yeah, agreed. It was also that it was shown underwater too, as opposed to simply crumpled on rocks at the base of one of those huge cliffs (the logical way Luke would have disposed of an unwanted ship,) that made me think it was setting up an old Luke standing there with hand outstretched and the x-wing rising up out of the water at the critical moment.

It's his only way off the island so how the x-wing is shown to the audience in that shot is critical. It's a mystery as to why in the movie it doesn't look wrecked like it does in the artwork, other than they made a conscious decision to make it unclear as you say - to keep alive at least the possibility he could use it.

An eerie shot drifting over/around the wrecked Red 5 x-wing underwater after Luke's death would have been a cool/haunting image. Maybe even with some echoed young Luke dialog heard.

It's interesting that Luke just kinda dies in TLJ without any kind of coda like that. But then again, we all knew he'd be back as a ghost, so no Jedi ever needs a funeral. "He will be missed.... oh, he's standing over there in spectral form waving to us.":lol

I meant secure storage for years. The one tiny clearing perched on the edge of a sheer cliff (from what you see, on the whole island) - where the Falcon just barely squeezes - in a climate that sees wind/raging storms is probably not a good place to store a ship long-term.:dunno

So the raging storms and wind are a problem but submerging it under water is somehow better for storage purposes?? Sure, it's ok after maybe a day or so on Dagobah, but I'm pretty sure a couple of years, or a decade, underwater is a no go. And besides . . . Luke lays it out in no uncertain terms. He went there to die.

Also I'm about 90% sure the landing pad is the lowest point on the island that we see on film, not perched on the edge of a cliff. It's shown to be almost at water level.

And "face value"? The simple fact is, because it was such a KEY shot - that's one of the reasons Luke can't go to Crait and has to die - they should have made the X-wing CLEARLY a wreck. If you compare the shot in the movie to the concept artwork, even the artwork is very clear as you can see holes in the fuselage, its laying at an angle, hard up against the rocky shoreline and a wing has broken off. It looks destroyed and derelict, not going anywhere. THAT is clear.

The final shot in the movie is NOT - the x-wing in the movie is intact, undamaged and sitting level.... even the red wing markings are still visible against a white hull. Totally unlike this image:

w4S7sDE.jpg

That artwork... shows a wrecked x-wing. The final shot in the movie - is very debatable and unclear.

Anyone could believe that Luke could have walked up to that cliff at the critical moment, put his hand out and seen that x-wing rise from the water.

I mean, dude - it's LUKE'S X-WING SUBMERGED IN WATER. When was the last time you saw that... and what did Luke eventually do? Think, McFly, THINK.:lol

IMG_1011.jpg

Not the best quality screen grab, but this thing doesn't look too functional to me. No red markings . . . looks to me like it's crashed on some submerged rocks.

And no, I know this is going to come off as aggressive, and I don’t mean it to be so, but knowing about a throwaway inclusion of a prop in a deleted scene is in no way a "level of scrutiny that just seems exhausting.":monkey3:slap

Yes . . . because deleted scenes are really obscure and hard to come by these days. Not to mention that particular scene was all over the place after the dice became a point of focus.

Back