Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 1/6th scale Captain Rex Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love if they made a figure with swap out parts, so you don't need to buy just a Phase 1 Trooper then wait a year for a Phase 2 trooper to come out. Just include the parts as a deluxe release. But I'm dreaming and should go back to sleep.

Like SS did

I know that this will never happen and be super expensive but I wish they would make The Bad Batch. I'd even just take the leader which is the guy with the bandana and the half skull face tat. Or Wrecker as he had really cool armor and helmet.

As long as I'm wishing, I would also like someone to do a custom Rebels style old man Rex head.

The videos of prototype made it clear that there is no welding on the cheeks of the helmet. That's the only thing that keeps me from preordering. I wrote this to HT, but more need to write about this.

The videos of prototype made it clear that there is no welding on the cheeks of the helmet. That's the only thing that keeps me from preordering. I wrote this to HT, but more need to write about this.

I also sent them comparisons between their figure and Rex's actual helmet, hopefully they take the feedback on board but this is probably just the same prototype.

I hope so and we are not the only ones who contacted them.
Did you PO it?

I will buy this and jet trooper. Probably, I'll use my reward points on this. Counting on jettrooper will have a discount.

Edit:
I finally pulled the trigger 2 days ago.

Man, I really hope they improve this head before release. Comparing the Rex reveal to the recent Jango reveal, Rex isn't looking good.
It's literally supposed to be the same face, except with a dyed buzz cut (and missing a couple scars).
These don't even look like the same actor.
1Ssk9cj.jpg

And what's up with the five-head and the majorly receding hairline?
They should just start again from the Jango sculpt and give him a haircut.

I really wanna display this guy bucket off but not when he looks like this.

Man, I really hope they improve this head before release. Comparing the Rex reveal to the recent Jango reveal, Rex isn't looking good.
It's literally supposed to be the same face, except with a dyed buzz cut (and missing a couple scars).
These don't even look like the same actor.
1Ssk9cj.jpg

And what's up with the five-head and the majorly receding hairline?
They should just start again from the Jango sculpt and give him a haircut.

I really wanna display this guy bucket off but not when he looks like this.

The Rex sculpt is just the Cody sculpt with a blonde buzzcut though. Although the Clone sculpts looks good I've always thought they looked a bit too detailed, like overly done. The new Jango sculpt looks great.

Technically Rex is only 13 years old during the events of TCW/ROTS, so 26 physically, so he should look more along the lines of the de-aged Morrisson in AOTC in the mess hall shot on Kamino.

Or at least the same age as the Jango sculpt we are getting anyway. Who knows, maybe they'll update it now that they have this.

SWLJlq2.png

The Rex sculpt is just the Cody sculpt with a blonde buzzcut though. Although the Clone sculpts looks good I've always thought they looked a bit too detailed, like overly done. The new Jango sculpt looks great.

Technically Rex is only 13 years old during the events of TCW/ROTS, so 26 physically, so he should look more along the lines of the de-aged Morrisson in AOTC in the mess hall shot on Kamino.

Or at least the same age as the Jango sculpt we are getting anyway. Who knows, maybe they'll update it now that they have this.

SWLJlq2.png

Yes indeed, the Rex sculpt appears to be the old Cody sculpt but given a receding hairline and even lighter skin. Jango is a big improvement over Cody. Rex is Cody but worse.
As you said, Rex should definitely look at least as young as Jango. Definitely not balding. Rex and Cody are shown to have the same hairline in TCW.

I can only hope they decide to utilize and modify the new improved Jango sculpt for Rex, rather than sticking with the old Cody sculpt that they only made worse here.

Fun fact: The name of the actor playing the younger clone in the shot you posted is Bodie Taylor. While I think it's better it keep the clones consistently Temuera-based, it's a fun fact that not a lot of people realize. It was a totally different actor for this one shot, but they figured they could get away with it because the shot was so brief. You're not really meant to linger and get a good look at him. Just a glance to get the impression of a similar looking guy but younger.

Yes indeed, the Rex sculpt appears to be the old Cody sculpt but given a receding hairline and even lighter skin. Jango is a big improvement over Cody. Rex is Cody but worse.
As you said, Rex should definitely look at least as young as Jango. Definitely not balding.

I can only hope they decide to utilize and modify the new improved Jango sculpt for Rex, rather than sticking with the old Cody sculpt that they only made worse here.

Fun fact: The name of the actor playing the younger clone in the shot you posted is Bodie Taylor. While I think it's better it keep the clones consistently Temuera-based, it's a fun fact that not a lot of people realize. It was a totally different actor for this one shot, but they figured they could get away with it because the shot was so brief. You're not really meant to linger and get a good look at him. Just a glance to get the impression of a similar looking guy but younger.

Yeah the Cody sculpt was great until the Jango sculpt was shown. I wont be having Rex or Cody without their helmets anyway so its not exactly a dealbreaker for me.

And interesting, learn something new everyday. I wonder why they didnt use him for ROTS and instead used 44 year old Temuera Morrison to play 26 year old Commander Cody.

Yeah the Cody sculpt was great until the Jango sculpt was shown. I wont be having Rex or Cody without their helmets anyway so its not exactly a dealbreaker for me.

And interesting, learn something new everyday. I wonder why they didnt use him for ROTS and instead used 44 year old Temuera Morrison to play 26 year old Commander Cody.

(unfortunately I really want rex without his bucket on...)
Regarding Bodie: Probably for practical storytelling reasons.

Cody was getting speaking lines and direct attention. Plus the general audience would have no idea how old he is, so it's not really important. The audience knows he's a clone, so they expect to see the same actor. Makes sense to let the actor play his own clone then.

However for that one scene on Kamino, they're specifically demonstrating the idea of "younger" clones still in training, and therefore it becomes visually important to actually show a younger man. That's what the audience expects to see. Makes sense in 2002 to get a younger guy for that brief shot. Nobody was really meant to linger on Bodie for too long, lest the illusion be broken.

Just different intents to accomplish different visual storytelling goals. Younger guys for youth clones (whether that be Bodie or Daniel), and Temuera for all mature deployed clones. The slight age discrepancies are ultimately unimportant. The visual "fun" of clones would be diminished if they weren't actually played by the same guy, and the rule of cool always wins.

If Episode 2 were done today instead of 2002, they would probably make more of an effort to de-age the Temuera troopers.

And to be fair to 2002 Temuera, he didn't actually look drastically different from how he did in his 20s. Those creases came early!
N3MbWSj.jpg

Here's another good photo demonstrating just how much this Rex figure is balding for unknown reasons
Cody and Rex should have the same hairline, just different hair styles

xlh0acb.jpg

So *** satisfied with Cody (which I bought two to have both display options), I'd end up getting x2 Rex :). If Commander Wolffe ever sees the light I'd do the same too.

So *** satisfied with Cody (which I bought two to have both display options), I'd end up getting x2 Rex :). If Commander Wolffe ever sees the light I'd do the same too.

Thanks for not making me feel like a total lunatic for buying 2 of Cody.

Back