Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two guys standing there in the set photo though. Did they split screen a BTS photo? My brain hurts lol.

That special edition droid is the worst.

Joe Johnston played both troopers shot split screened.

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/785831071170650112

What are the chances we'd just be discussing this and then they'd post that?:lol:clap

I added the Tweet pic to the BTS pic I posted earlier.

There are two guys standing there in the set photo though. Did they split screen a BTS photo? My brain hurts lol.

Yeah, what's odd is that the two troopers are the same distance apart in both the BTS pic and the finished shot shown in the SW Tweet, and the trooper on left is in the exact same pose in both pics, meaning the BTS pic seems to show the actual used footage being shot. Bit of a mystery.

And what a weird thing - they made two suits and someone stole one of them?:horror Wonder who scored that? In hindsight, the theft would be the present-day equivalent of netting $300k+ in a bank robbery; that would have been a unique ANH stormie variation.:rotfl

Because of the storm internet was off here, so couldn't post earlier. But reading page 231 of Making of Star Wars book you can see this clearly:

"That was actually Joe Johnston down there in the foreground-in fact, it's Joe Johnston and Joe Johnston (middle). We only had one Imperial suit at that point, because the other had been stolen, so we shot it split-screen. We also needed two canons, but we only had one."

spc.jpg

What are the chances we'd just be discussing this and then they'd post that?:lol:clap

I added the Tweet pic to the BTS pic I posted earlier.

Yeah, what's odd is that the two troopers are the same distance apart in both the BTS pic and the finished shot shown in the SW Tweet, and the trooper on left is in the exact same pose in both pics, meaning the BTS pic seems to show the actual used footage being shot. Bit of a mystery.

And what a weird thing - they made two suits and someone stole one of them?:horror Wonder who scored that? In hindsight, the theft would be the present-day equivalent of netting $300k+ in a bank robbery; that would have been a unique ANH stormie variation.:rotfl

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. This would fetch a small fortune these days.

Because of the storm internet was off here, so couldn't post earlier. But reading page 231 of Making of Star Wars book you can see this clearly:

"That was actually Joe Johnston down there in the foreground-in fact, it's Joe Johnston and Joe Johnston (middle). We only had one Imperial suit at that point, because the other had been stolen, so we shot it split-screen. We also needed two canons, but we only had one."

View attachment 298147

Yeah, it just reinforces how the BTS pic apparently showing two spacetroopers side-by-side on set is such a weird one - you almost want to say someone faked/Photoshopped it, but there's really no reason to. And the lighting set-up and backdrop seems to match the other pics.

It's possible it shows some kind of lighting test the day before (before the other suit was stolen) or something, yet the pose of the left spacetrooper matches the onscreen trooper, suggesting that's the actual footage being taken.

There's so little other reference from that shoot (not even a pic of the backpack,) it's likely the mystery of that BTS pic will never be solved.

It's a bit odd with some many pics of the suit from the front, HT wouldn't have matched the gloves-pulled-over-forearm-armor aspect for their figure.

I'm thinking the behind the scenes photo is actually the footage at a point after they combined the two shots of Joe but before they blended it into the final shot.

I'm thinking the behind the scenes photo is actually the footage at a point after they combined the two shots of Joe but before they blended it into the final shot.

Yeah, I think it is something like that. I initially thought maybe it was some kind of mirror-reprojection effect through a glass sheet (i.e. we're seeing both the trooper and the reflected/projected twin of it in real time,) but then I realized the backpacks are slightly different.

But yeah maybe what we're seeing is them filming Johnston in the distance (in person) while at the same time filming a projection of (a previously shot) Johnston on a piece of front projection glass at the same time.

My guess is the reason they changed the backpack was so they wouldn't look like dupes of each other.

That BTS info along with the odd set photo is real headscratcher lol. Just goes to show ANH can still be more fascinating than most any film, even after nearly 40 years.

I'm waiting for my chromed midas iron man to arrive. I hope it's painting doesn't have the same amount of flaws as these gold stormtroopers.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Maybe a stupid question but does anybody know how to properly put the head back on how much can you push without breaking it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back