Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely if they were ready to announce Royal Guards they would have been at SDCC?

I'd say it's a clever move by HT. They were not at SDCC , only had figures at Sideshows booth, so they save some announcements for a show in Asia that they actually attend themselves.

Royal Guard means Emperor. Also, I'd make a good bet that base/stand that was shown with the ROTJ Stormtrooper is really for the Royal Guard, it makes more sense.

Prefer the ANH troopers, I think it's cool they did the variants, but not interested in the ROTJs. If I was a big stormtrooper buff I could see how I'd want every single variant. but for an army builder, I'd prefer to have one type... and many. And for me that army builder is the classic ANH.

Royal Guard seems like it should be a simple figure but it's all about how the robes hang, and hanging fabrics are not HT's strong point. Fingers crossed, because I love these characters. I remember thinking they looked very 'Dune' when they appeared in 1983.

Prefer the ANH troopers, I think it's cool they did the variants, but not interested in the ROTJs. If I was a big stormtrooper buff I could see how I'd want every single variant. but for an army builder, I'd prefer to have one type... and many. And for me that army builder is the classic ANH.

I am glad I was able to grab an ANH trooper. The better design (imho). The variants are neat...but I'm not even an army builder. If you are going for just one I'd say the ANH is the best one to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be up for it (I have two tall HT ANH stormies) but this new ROTJ helmet has the color scheme and sculpt details of ROTJ but I don't feel the shape is right for ROTJ, and I'm not crazy about how the mouth grill looks - something a bit off.

It's like the HT ANH stormie sculpt - very nicely done, but not really capturing that classic ANH stunt look, looking more like it's based on the Don Post 1980's mask.

I'd be up for it (I have two tall HT ANH stormies) but this new ROTJ helmet has the color scheme and sculpt details of ROTJ but I don't feel the shape is right for ROTJ, and I'm not crazy about how the mouth grill looks - something a bit off.

It's like the HT ANH stormie sculpt - very nicely done, but not really capturing that classic ANH stunt look, looking more like it's based on the Don Post 1980's mask.

Agree ANH's not the accurate sculpt we were all hoping for but calling it Don Post is a stretch too far.

Agree ANH's not the accurate sculpt we were all hoping for but calling it Don Post is a stretch too far.

Well it is and it isn't. When I look at the HT, I do partly see the ANH hero, but I also see the Don Post just as much. I see none of the iconic ANH stunt - THE classic ANH stormie helmet "look" - which I think is where my real disappointment in the HT sculpt lies.

And sorry, I meant 1990's Don Post (on left below, HT on right) - seem to have 1980's on the brain this week. No idea why when you look at all the SDCC releases, right?:lol

2w324p2.png

Well it is and it isn't. When I look at the HT, I do partly see the ANH hero, but I also see the Don Post just as much. I see none of the iconic ANH stunt - THE classic ANH stormie helmet "look" - which I think is where my real disappointment in the HT sculpt lies.

And sorry, I meant 1990's Don Post (on left below, HT on right) - seem to have 1980's on the brain this week. No idea why when you look at all the SDCC releases, right?:lol

2w324p2.png

fx2.jpgTo Me the HT ANH stormtroopers helmet is closer to the horrible FX helmets that were and still are around and used by some of the cosplay community

Just my opinion but I don't think the minutia of stunt vs hero vs realized really has much a place in 1/6 figure discussion.

Completely understand such discussion for prop replicas... but these figures (imo) are to capture the character.

Human characters and their actual on screen likeness has more impact than something like a helmet and the tiny minute details being discussed here.

Sorry but if a figure looked that wonky with obvious fiberglass chips etc and such I would not buy it. Different story if I am buying a 1:1 prop replica. As you said/alluded to there is character there. Character that matches your memories and enjoyment of the franchise but I just don't think that translates well to 1/6 figures.

I am not saying everyone is like me but I would make an assumption that a LARGE % of HT customers don't have a clue of the differences being discussed here. They care if it "looks" like what is on screen and nothing waaaay out to be noticeably wrong.

I think the HT Stormy great... I also thought the SSC was pretty good outside of the terrible body... HT did up the general quality overall though to be more lifelike than figurelike.

hello there!

Forgive the fact that in this photo, the stormie is accompanied by 2 figures of another collection. :lecture

I recently enjoy mixing up collections when displaying my figures. I go for the overall look of my collection, mixing lines if neccessary.
I find that some figures look much better when posed with certain figures next to them.

I think the Hot Toys stormie benefits from being posed with these guys. Bats and Joker 1989 are slightly smaller than other figures in my collection and this makes the stormie appear to be bulkier in contrast.

I also think that the stormie has to be placed as close as the lights in a display are as possible. The reflection of the light on the armor is crazy.

The helmet might not be accurate, but the overall feel of this figure is great, I think.

stormie bats rev.jpg

I really like the shine of the armor as well. I recently decided I might prefer just having two classic white Stormtroopers instead of other variants, including the Sandtroopers, which have the lived-in look that I really like from the OT.

2w324p2.png

I agree. HT could still repurpose the Sandtrooper sculpt and make a Stunt version release to look like these, but better:

Just my opinion but I don't think the minutia of stunt vs hero vs realized really has much a place in 1/6 figure discussion.

Completely understand such discussion for prop replicas... but these figures (imo) are to capture the character.

Human characters and their actual on screen likeness has more impact than something like a helmet and the tiny minute details being discussed here.

Sorry but if a figure looked that wonky with obvious fiberglass chips etc and such I would not buy it. Different story if I am buying a 1:1 prop replica. As you said/alluded to there is character there. Character that matches your memories and enjoyment of the franchise but I just don't think that translates well to 1/6 figures.

I am not saying everyone is like me but I would make an assumption that a LARGE % of HT customers don't have a clue of the differences being discussed here. They care if it "looks" like what is on screen and nothing waaaay out to be noticeably wrong.

I think the HT Stormy great... I also thought the SSC was pretty good outside of the terrible body... HT did up the general quality overall though to be more lifelike than figurelike.

I respect you're opinion and if you think that the HT stormtroopers captures the character then that's great. But I've been obsessed by stormtroopers since the tender age of 4 when I watched SW for the first time back in 77. Ever since then I have studied pictures of the original armour and read articles about the sculpters and makers of it. I'm Lucky enough to own an RSPropmasters set of armour which is pretty much as close as you can get to owning an original suit. So as the original armours "DNA" is burned into my memory I can't help but see how far away these figures are from the original character that they are attempting to depict. Don't get me wrong, I think there great but I can't be the only high end collector out there that craves for an exact replica of the original character "walts and all" shrunken down into 1/6 scale can I? Especially with the advancement in 3D scanning these days, I'm sure that they could do it? I don't know maybe I'm asking too much.

You're not the only one. I tried to do a 3D scan of a prop replica and scale it down to 1/6, a difficult task I couldn't complete. I too CRAVE the closest to prop stunt as can be produced. I don't care too much about perfection on body armor, but I care enough to dislike the ankles on the HT troopers (not terrible) and the under scaled forearm armor. The helmets simply need to look like a 1977 stormtrooper, I'll take any stunt version.

You're not the only one. I tried to do a 3D scan of a prop replica and scale it down to 1/6, a difficult task I couldn't complete. I too CRAVE the closest to prop stunt as can be produced. I don't care too much about perfection on body armor, but I care enough to dislike the ankles on the HT troopers (not terrible) and the under scaled forearm armor. The helmets simply need to look like a 1977 stormtrooper, I'll take any stunt version.
Ha ha a fellow collector who is also obsessed by the original white armour. That's made me feel a little less sad:wink1: how far did you get with the 3D scanning stage before it became too complex? Do you think with financial resources like HT have it could be possible?

You two are "future people". Your grails have not been made yet. You are collecting too early.

You need to stop collecting right now and pick this up again once holographic recreations can accurately give you what you want.

Back