HOT TOYS STAR WARS licence?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sideshow or Hot Toys for SW 12 inch?

I'll take Hot Toys. I love all my SS Jedi figures, but only a few of them have arrived without paint issues. Their sculpts are awesome, but their pricing is not acceptable for me anymore. When the figures were $65 shipped I wasn't complaining, but now that they are in the same price bracket as Medicom and Hot Toys they are being sidelined.

I think we sould hold judgement on droids until Sideshow makes one and shows us how well they do them.

We may all be wearing Depends by the time Sideshow gets around to those. Hot Toys could do them RIGHT NOW.

I prefer to not pay $150+ for every figure in the line, so Sideshow is fine with me. But some teamwork on certain characters like Greivous and other droids would certainly be welcome.

Why??? I say we base this off Aayla Secura.

AMEN!!!

So if paying $120 for Aayla, I think we would see a totally different product. Odds are the body would be totally different and possibly the outfit as well. Like I said, Clone Obi is the first figure that will give a true representative comparison: New body similar to a normal HT body and armor, then we can see if the fabric and paint come out well.

I prefer to not pay $150+ for every figure in the line.
It wouldn't be every figure in the line. Hot Toys has many figures in the $110-$120 range, which us where Sideshow themselves are heading with a quickness.

And Hot Toys also seems to price each figure separately and relatively instead of a set price no matter how simple (Medicom) or seemingly arbitrary (Sideshow).

Sideshow figures are already over $100 with sales tax.

Of course a figure like General Kenobi will be over 100$ with shipping and tax. It is already 90$. But, it is an armored figure. I had no problem putting it on order. I know i am getting 90$ worth. I know the body will be sturdy and with sideshow reputation so will the armor.

that sidious walking holograph thing was pretty lame, legs all warped under the weight, some engineering.

Mine still stands as if I just took it out of the package, so I didn't know that was an issue. That sucks.

I'm quite happy with my SS 12" figures.

The quality of the sculpts as well as the costumes seem to be pretty good to my eyes.

I also accept certain limitations. at the 1/6 scale it would be more difficult to make pockets that are actually pockets, without making them look 'wrong'. As well, while accurate fabrics (The same as used on the costumes in the movies) may sound good, the fabrics would likely not hang correctly on a reduced scale figure.

That's wrong. The Bespin Luke has working pockets that look nice. The Hot Toys Resident Evil Leons I just got have working pockets and they look great. The pants look like they were shrunk down from real pants. Plus MANY other 1/6 have this.

The Leons are more expensive figures, but a lot has to do with how you tailor and hem it.

While some fabric would have trouble hanging, they could do a better job with what they do have.

That's wrong. The Bespin Luke has working pockets that look nice. The Hot Toys Resident Evil Leons I just got have working pockets and they look great. The pants look like they were shrunk down from real pants. Plus MANY other 1/6 have this.

The Leons are more expensive figures, but a lot has to do with how you tailor and hem it.

While some fabric would have trouble hanging, they could do a better job with what they do have.

Not wrong. We just do not know the reasons why Sideshow does what it does. Is it cost? Manufacturing? Hell, LFL could be a reason why some figures turn out the way they do.

In other words, we're just speculating. Some people say that Sideshow is doing just fine for their price point, while others here claim that Sideshow is all garbage and crap. Until Hot Toys makes some SW figures that Sideshow has already released, it is very very hard to say who does a better job.

We can't blame LFL for everything. Sideshow whiffs just fine on their own at times.

...Edit 2 - Buddy Gus touched on something that I missed. Customer service. The way Sideshow is so good with customer service adds to the price of the figure as well. How many broken Hot Toys pieces has anyone been able to easily replace? - I may have to switch my opinion to Sideshow winning...barely.

Good point. SSC's Customer service rocks. It is the best out there. But serving customers costs money. Sometimes I asked myself, how much it costs me to give SSC the opportunity to replace items for people that whine of a tiny spot on an insignificant place on their collectible. I mean, the collector says "jump" and SSC asks "how high?". Be it justified or not, these replacements do cost money, and just like for all these "free" giveaways, somebody has to pay for it.

I can guarantee you that Hot Toys' customer service is very close behind SSC's. I think it is something they have learned from SSC. You just have to ask them! I heard this somewhere, don't remember where: only the squeaking wheel get's the oil, or something in that sense. Can HT keep up the good CS? Don't know, but they better! For $120 to $160 a pop ($190-$250 for the 'specials') they better...

Not wrong. We just do not know the reasons why Sideshow does what it does. Is it cost? Manufacturing? Hell, LFL could be a reason why some figures turn out the way they do.

I'm saying it's wrong to say it can't be done at the scale, which I thought you were talking about.

Certain other things can be attributed to what your saying, though.

There's just some things I wonder about. Like the flap on Jedi Luke. It's just sort of sewn on there. Unlike Medicom's which blends in with the rest of the suit. And Bespin Han's pockets are just so awkward. Same with Shaun's from the Shaun of the Dead.

Hi Guys! This is my second post so I said hello to everyone there!!
I think that Sideshow has done a great job with SW 1/6 line since they have the vision of giving to all Hasbro Collector (like me) a better figure with a far better sculpture of the head... However I must said that Hot Toys or Medicom Toys are by far the best 1/6 figure makers, the sculp, the cloths, the line up, GOD I LOVE JAPANESE AND CHINESE TOYS!!!! ...
Well what I think these days is that Sideshow is trying to release as much figures as they can due to their increase in popularity, to be honest a really decent way of play the game in this bussiness, but in this journey I think that sometimes they forget about some of the key details that make us fall in love with the first Jedi Luke... My favourite figure of all my collection of Sideshow Toys!! Sideshow please take your time to release better figures, we trust you!!!

So guys, what do you feel out there??? I´m not from the US, so give some feedback from you please!!!!!!!!!!

You would have to show me this because I don't see it. Hot Toys Mannequins are better for articulation, but break as much as Medicom's. So they pretty much even out there. And if the new Prometheus body is a high-quality item...the advantage gets tipped toward Sideshow.

It has been stated that we are looking at a 120.00 price point so cost is an even playing field...no winner. But you have to take into consideration that at 120.00...Sideshow could add a lot to their figures because we are getting awesome figures for at least 30 dollars a figure less than that right now. Think of the improvement Sideshow could make at an extra 30.00 per figure. Of course, Hot Toys Predators are the ones that are 120.00+. The Human figures like the Colonial Marines were down around 90.00 if I remember correctly. So Hot Toys would have extra funds for developement as well. So maybe Hot Toys could edge out Sideshow on that one.

Sculpts and paint apps are a matter of preference. I do not care if mine look like the actors, but I want them to represent the character well. And I also like as much realism as possible. The 2 companies are pretty even for representation of non-human characters and I think Sideshow gives me what I want better in human sculpts and paint apps. So Sideshow wins that one...barely.

Intricacy of sculpts on machines can't really be judged as Sideshow has not yet done anything like the Power Loader or the Terminators in 1:6 scale. But judging by the PF Grievous and Anakin's mechanical arm. I think they would do just fine. Hot Toys edges out Sideshow in that aspect just for having proven themselves already. But they only edge out Sideshow because Sideshow MAY do just as well...we don't know.

Costumes are pretty even between each company. I have to give Sideshow a slight edge because both companies give enough detail to things like functioning pockets and scaled zippers. But the Sideshow costumes just seem to be a little sturdier to me.

And another VERY Important aspect to me is accessories. Both companies pay enough attention to detail to give us functioning pouches and packs. Sideshow gave us the great detail and functional folding stock on the Stormtrooper blaster. But Hot Toys wins out because they tend to have even more accessories, and more functionality to the small pieces like removeable magazines for the Aliens pulse rifles. And with everything else being so close, but tipping Sideshow's way, this aspect pulls Hot Toys to the top...barely.

I think Sideshow wins Hands-down in the packaging department. But I also don't give a monkey's nut about how pretty the packaging is. That figures into the cost of the figure as well, and I would certainly prefer more accessories to a pretty box. But still, Sideshow DOES have the best box for every aspect of the packaging purpose. You also have to add in that they include outer shipping packaging designed to protect the box. THE FREAKIN' PACKAGING HAS PROTECTIVE PACKAGING (I am laughing as I type that). But even though I don't care how great the packaging is...I still want the packaging to be in good shape.

Edit 1 - Actually, I am fine with Medicom's packaging. I don't even LIKE Hot Toy's because they have that reflective aspect to them that makes displaying them in a direct light a pain in the butt.

Edit 2 - Buddy Gus touched on something that I missed. Customer service. The way Sideshow is so good with customer service adds to the price of the figure as well. How many broken Hot Toys pieces has anyone been able to easily replace? - I may have to switch my opinion to Sideshow winning...barely.

Edit 3 - Oh, yeah...and I want all of my 1:6 scale to match without having to re-buy every one of them...AGAIN! No clear winner yet, but Sideshow just pulled a little farther ahead...and it is the last lap of the race.

:lecture :lecture

Guess I'll throw my hat in the ring:

Medicom: Best articulation in the 1/6 scale market

Hot Toys: Best detailing in the 1/6 scale market

Sideshow Collectibles: Best overall bag-for-your-buck in the 1/6 scale market

Factor in SSC customer service and they clearly claim "king of the hill" in my book.

As far as HT customer service...its pretty slow at best. You can get replacement parts but they're half way around the world so when you make a request they don't get it until the next day AND you still wait several days after that to get a response. I've gotten better CS from Enterbay, which I think is a smaller company...could be wrong on that one. But I've gotten excellent CS from Enterbay. HT...so so. Plus you can call SSC direct and they just send you what you need. Can you imagine how many folks got extra stormy rifles who didn't need em? That's got to cost them a pretty piece of change.

SSC gets my vote...for sure.

Both , simultaneously....................without forgetting medicom, of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chew:chew:chew

I don't think we can really answer this question until we have the clone-armor Obi Wan in hand, and at that point I'm not sure there's even really a choice to be made anymore. I view it as a Sideshow/Hot Toys co-production (as I do the SSC 1:6 Indy and Frodo and Sam).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back