HOT TOYS STAR WARS licence?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will Hot Toys ever get the SW license?

I bet they do, one day.

They're putting out arguably THE best 12" action figures on the planet. Yeah, the company has its faults - mainly the fact that they only release a very few characters from any given line, and yeah, they're expensive as hell - but no one can deny how beautiful they turn out.

Don't get me wrong, Sideshow's putting out some very solid figures these days too. I guess Medicom is okay too, and I suppose there are some legal/competition issues with having one more 12" company releasing SW figures... but neither of these lines are going to last forever. Knowing how involved George Lucas is with his toy business, I would bet that Hot Toys is on his radar, or at least being watched by some of his minions... One day, I bet it will happen.

Ok regional. got it. What about SS? SS and Hasbro at the same time?

From what I understand, Hasbro leased it to SS. And no, I don't see Medicom licensing their main cash cow to HT. There's more money in them doing their own figures. Especially given the substantial profit they get off of that stale body and plastic accessories.

I bet they do, one day.

They're putting out arguably THE best 12" action figures on the planet. Yeah, the company has its faults - mainly the fact that they only release a very few characters from any given line, and yeah, they're expensive as hell - but no one can deny how beautiful they turn out.

Don't get me wrong, Sideshow's putting out some very solid figures these days too. I guess Medicom is okay too, and I suppose there are some legal/competition issues with having one more 12" company releasing SW figures... but neither of these lines are going to last forever. Knowing how involved George Lucas is with his toy business, I would bet that Hot Toys is on his radar, or at least being watched by some of his minions... One day, I bet it will happen.

I would argue that that would be a HUGE mistake. HT's used to smaller licenses and smaller runs. Doing something on the level of Sideshow's Star Wars would be a QC nightmare for both HT and consumers. They can barely handle all the licenses they're dealing with right now and look at the QC nightmares they're going through. Their two biggest have major issues. IM with the legs and Batman with the leaking. While both are admittedly big licenses, even combined, they're wholly dwarfed by Star Wars.

Voted no.
I don't see HT getting the license any time soon, if at all.
However, should they get it, I can see them changing their focus to pump out a lot of SW characters.
HT have shown that they can pump out a lot of different figures in a given time period.

From what I understand, Hasbro leased it to SS.

Correct. Technically, Hasbro still owns the license through 2018 (and they can actually produce 12" figures themselves at any time if they choose, just mass-marketed at the $20-$40 price point). They sub-license it to Sideshow. It's the same with INDY. G.I. JOE is a similar deal, except it's actually Hasbro's own IP.

From what I understand, Hasbro leased it to SS.

Well thx for clearing it up for me, you of all people. :mad:

:nana:

Anyways, even if HT did/does get i would be happy only getting only a handful of them because i only have a handful of the SS ones cause so many of them SUCK IMO. And i know every HT one would be superb. But right now it don't look like anytime soon, so my only hope is a combination of Medicom and SS figures to fill my SW collection needs.

In a perfect world, all 3, Hasbro, SSC, and Hot Toys would be making 3 different levels of quality toys.

Hasbro low end $20-$30
SSC mid range $40-$100
Hot Toys $130-$2,000,000

In a perfect world, all 3, Hasbro, SSC, and Hot Toys would be making 3 different levels of quality toys.

Hasbro low end $20-$30
SSC mid range $40-$100
Hot Toys $130-$2,000,000

All to expensive for you :nana: :rotfl

Hasbro low end $20-$30
SSC mid range $40-$100
Hot Toys $130-$2,000,000

Unless it was a single packed Jawa, Ewok or Ugnaught, you wouldn't touch HT Star Wars for $130. Not even on a Hastings discount. :lol

Do I think they will? Anything is possible. Hot Toys is doing licenses that Sideshow has already done, Terminator, Platoon, etc.

They're also business pals. I could see Sideshow letting Hot Toys make Star Wars figures under the Hot Toys brand name while they (Sideshow) focus on statues and stuff.

Do I hope it happens? You're damn right I do.

:lecture:goodpost::exactly:

Do I think they will? Anything is possible. Hot Toys is doing licenses that Sideshow has already done, Terminator, Platoon, etc. and improving on them.

They're also business pals. I could see Sideshow letting Hot Toys make Star Wars figures under the Hot Toys brand name while they (Sideshow) focus on statues and stuff.

Do I hope it happens? You're damn right I do.

Unless it was a single packed Jawa, Ewok or Ugnaught, you wouldn't touch HT Star Wars for $130. Not even on a Hastings discount. :lol

exactly...and thus i could get my old Hasbro or SSC product for the old prices and you can stick to your elite product for people neglecting their children's college. :yess: :lol

exactly...and thus i could get my old Hasbro or SSC product for the old prices and you can stick to your elite product for people neglecting their children's college. :yess: :lol

:lol:rotfl:lol Kids' college was covered year 3 of publication. ;) I would definitely only cherrypick HT's releases. To me there's a fine line between paying $200+ for a 1:6 Predator and a 1:6 Han Solo and with HT prices combined with LFL licensing fees, Sideshow licensing fees and Hasbro licensing fees, that line would be crossed.

medicom has the asian license. as in making everyone look asian license.

:panic:

Can anyone answer the License question? Medicom has a different SW one?

I always thought that Hasbro had the 1:6 scale license and Medicom had the 1:7 scale license.

:monkey3

LOL...realistically though. I think that Sideshow has the license straight out from Lucasfilm (this region, anyway). Otherwise, I believe they would have to have Hasbro's logo on the merchandise. But the boxes say Lucasfilm under license to Sideshow.

So I think they bought the license straight out from Hasbro. And if that is the case, I wonder if it reverts to Hasbro after the agreement or if it goes up for grabs. Hasbro bought the Star Wars license until 2018 and the 1:6 scale aspect was included at the time they bought it. So if Sideshow bought it straight out...they have it until 2018. If that is the case...it goes up for grabs when Sideshow is done. If they bought it for a shorter time, then it would go back to Hasbro before it goes up for grabs in 2018.

This IS all supposition on my part.

While there is some overlap, collectors of Sideshow 1/6 scale figures are pretty different from collectors of Hasbro 1/6 scale figures. I doubt that releasing both would eat into either group's potential products. But I don't think LucasFilm realizes this. Otherwise, we would have Star Wars Minimates and the world would be a much better place.

LOL...realistically though. I think that Sideshow has the license straight out from Lucasfilm (this region, anyway). Otherwise, I believe they would have to have Hasbro's logo on the merchandise. But the boxes say Lucasfilm under license to Sideshow.

So I think they bought the license straight out from Hasbro. And if that is the case, I wonder if it reverts to Hasbro after the agreement or if it goes up for grabs. Hasbro bought the Star Wars license until 2018 and the 1:6 scale aspect was included at the time they bought it. So if Sideshow bought it straight out...they have it until 2018. If that is the case...it goes up for grabs when Sideshow is done. If they bought it for a shorter time, then it would go back to Hasbro before it goes up for grabs in 2018.

This IS all supposition on my part.

Irish is correct in his earlier explanation that it's Hasbro's license which is leased to Sideshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back