1/6 Hot Toys - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguise

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, if I ever get drawn into multiples, it'll probably be a focus on Luke. I like the evolution of a character's look throughout a film or series of films. Like Terminator for instance, I've bought every HT Arnold since the first one and I like the stages the figures have gone through. That ended though, no way am I getting Genisys Pops. :lol

I never bought HT Bespin Luke even though that's my favorite version of him so who knows. For years I meant to buy a Captain America and just never got around to it because of how many different versions popped up. I can definitely envision one of my detolfs having a Hot Toys Farmboy Luke, Bespin 2.0 Luke (Dagobah if those rumors are true), and Jedi Luke (again, if Hot Toys is indeed doing him) representing each film though.

I sold off most of my bespin Luke parts. Something bout the face that doesn't quite do it for me. But yeah, ESB is my favorite out of the trilogy and Bespin look is my favorite out of all version. I think my line up would be Farmboy, Stormtrooper, x-wing, bespin, Jedi. I could make do with or without hoth ver.

They'll prolly reuse the current Solo head for the Stormtrooper. If they could reuse a 2008 Joker head on their 2014 release, I don't see why they'd bother sculpting a new one for the stormtrooper version. Seems like they'll release solo for next year's instead.

Get the GA Cap. I think that's a figure that's good enough to represent him; he's got the first movie costume look, but also from the what is arguably the best comic book / marvel movie - the winter soldier. But make sure you get a Rogers head from the current avengers cap. The head that comes with the GA is hideous. :lol

SS need HT more than the other way around.

I'm not sure how you can feel that way. Sideshow makes more products than Hot Toys does and sells them in more countries. They also distribute numerous other companies products through the US. I think it's the other way around. Sideshow has done more for Hot Toys than Hot Toys has done for Sideshow. Until Sideshow started marketing Hot toys all over the US at Various cons and advertising on there website and various sponsored sites many people had know idea who Hot Toys were or what products they offered. I've never seen Hot Toys employee in the US promoting the own products. It's always at a Sideshow booth and a Sideshow employee.

Product and quality wise, HT excels SS on all level. Just look at the way the paint, packaging and the way the product feel in hand. SS is appointed as the sole agent for US and EU, they have a certain target to maintain that sole agent, that's why they need to do advertising, shows etc.

SSC has its faults (that Hydeous points out), but they are a great promoter. Their website is very slick and nice, and they send out about 50 e-mails a day, plus a strong Facebook and Twitter presence. I think there is a symbiotic relationship for sure, but HT focuses more on the product development side, while SSC is focusing on marketing and distribution.

True.

And their customer service AA+. I've never been disappointed with their excellent CS yet. HT on the hand is getting worse, since they don't even reply with QC problems no more. :lol

I personally feel that Hot Toys has plateaued in their sculpting and figure making abilities.

Sideshow is on the up and up, atleast judging from their prototypes. Pilot Luke for instance seems to be up there with the quality collectors demand when it comes to tailoring, sculpt and presentation. Some of their figures are starting to look like Hot Toys products. Maul and that great AT-AT driver? Shieeet, those could pass for Hot Toys easily. They have potential.

Whether Sideshow will be able to achieve that with the actual production pieces that they ship out to everyone however remains to be unseen . . . .

Last edited:
Product and quality wise, HT excels SS on all level. Just look at the way the paint, packaging and the way the product feel in hand.

Well that's your opinion and your allowed to state so. But there's no unequivocal winner. Looking at Hot Toys new 1/4 scale Vader photos and Sideshows new 1/4 scale premium format Vader I think the likeness is much better with Sideshows. Granted ones a statue and ones an articulated figure, but I think Sideshows looks better. So you can't compare a companies products as a whole but on a 1 to 1 basis, and so far there's really no products to do that with. And no you shouldn't compare Sideshows Stromtroopers from several years ago to Hot Toys today. Both Sideshow and Hot Toys have come along way. Just look at how bad Hot Toys original Iron Man MK3 Tony Stark headsculpt compares to the newest ones from now. It looks horrible now yet back then it was a marvel to behold. Both companies have and keep doing greater and greater things.

True.

And their customer service AA+. I've never been disappointed with their excellent CS yet. HT on the hand is getting worse, since they don't even reply with QC problems no more. :lol

I defiantly agree with you here!

Hot Toys - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper ...

Pilot Luke for instance seems to be up there with the quality collectors demand when it comes to tailoring, sculpt and presentation. Some of their figures are starting to look like Hot Toys products. Maul and that great AT-AT driver? Shieeet, those could pass for Hot Toys easily.

They're supposed to use a new body with X-Wing Luke too. Possible it's on the Maul figure since he's a bit slight as well. So hopefully the quality under the clothes will also be improved. I'm very interested in the Luke figure despite the price tag.

As sad as it is, I think I have been heavily influenced by their marketing of that figure and think it would look great paired up with a TIE pilot. Especially since I learned that the pilot helmet in part uses the rebel helmet, gives it a second kind of symmetry.

I personally feel that Hot Toys has plateaued in their sculpting and figure making abilities.

Sideshow is on the up and up, atleast judging from their prototypes. Pilot Luke for instance seems to be up there with the quality collectors demand when it comes to tailoring, sculpt and presentation. Some of their figures are starting to look like Hot Toys products. Maul and that great AT-AT driver? Shieeet, those could pass for Hot Toys easily. They have potential.

Whether Sideshow will be able to achieve that with the actual production pieces that they ship out to everyone however remains to be seen . . . .

That's where HT and SS differs. :lol I'm not a HT fanboy, but I gotta give credit where credit is due. There's something bout unboxing HT figure and it feels like a well made figure. The details and parts are all well made. Bandai seems to be on the same level. But with companies like EB or SS, there's always something that feels off, or like they took a shortcut. Stuff like the championship trophy that comes with the MJ EB figure, the loose joints on SS figure, etc.

It's easy to make and show a good proto when it's hand made and painted by the industry's finest. But HT manage to keep it quite consistent overall (not including the Batman Armory Bruce Wayne), from proto to actual production pieces that are made in thousands.

Re: Hot Toys - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper ...

They're supposed to use a new body with X-Wing Luke too. Possible it's on the Maul figure since he's a bit slight as well. So hopefully the quality under the clothes will also be improved. I'm very interested in the Luke figure despite the price tag.

As sad as it is, I think I have been heavily influenced by their marketing of that figure and think it would look great paired up with a TIE pilot. Especially since I learned that the pilot helmet in part uses the rebel helmet, gives it a second kind of symmetry.

I think it's just a matter of time before HT announces theirs, with a 1/6 X wing cockpit that fits R2.

Do it if you think you're 'ard enough I suppose. I myself wouldn't have the discipline to limit myself to one character or anything like that. If I buy Luke I'm buying Han. If I buy Han I'm buying Chewie. At that point I might aswell buy Leia and Darth Vader and Obi-wan. And then why not buy the stormtrooper etc etc etc.

My final star wars tab(if there ever is one) will no doubt be a number I don't care to think about. I draw the line at that tie fighter though;)

Well if Hot Toys does go ahead and produce a 1/6 scale Tie Fighter it will usher in a new age with pricing. It will easily go beyond the $1k price point and make Hulkbuster look like a bargain after fans having a heart attack at its $825 price point. :lol

Well if Hot Toys does go ahead and produce a 1/6 scale Tie Fighter it will usher in a new age with pricing. It will easily go beyond the $1k price point and make Hulkbuster look like a bargain after fans having a heart attack at its $825 price point. :lol

I meant just the the cockpit part, like the millennium falcon they just announced recently.

I meant just the the cockpit part, like the millennium falcon they just announced recently.

Possible I suppose but I envision a truncated section of an x wing to look stranger than the stand alone falcon cockpit without the rest of the ship. Not bashing the falcon cockpit, looks great and I intend to get it. With the x wing I'm just not sure how much of it would be produced? Wings would have to be out so would they make it cockpit to nose? That would be oddly shaped and take up seemingly more space than the falcon.

I dunno. I can't imagine they making an actual 1/6 version of x wing. but if they can give those small miniatures iron mans with the recent exclusive iron man figure, nothing is out of the question :lol

I can imagine that - like the BBI 1/6 cockpits, only longer to accommodate Artoo.

1202_bbi_japancockpit.jpg

Back