Hot Toys SOLO Mudtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet Qi’ra would look great if someone took the head off and modified it on a HT female body and sewed the clothes to similar quality.

Awesome work Asta! You should start a Qi'ra repainting service for us talent less board members :wink1::pray:

Thanks! But it's really not at that level.

I used to do a lot of wargaming miniature painting (20mm-28mm scale) and the techniques of dry brushing, shading and highlighting are the same for 1/6 clothing, gear or weapons. Yet 1/6 faces are a completely different kettle of fish. All I could hope to do was improve the minimal Hasbro paintwork and straighten up the wonky left eye they seem to have given every figure.

I hadn't painted much in many years, so my paint selection was limited to whatever I could find was still usable.

The figures were so cheap that it was worth a try. Since I have two of them I could do a before and after, though I did do a rough skin test paint on the body and arms of the 'unpainted' one.

49483622176_d83f2e5846_o.jpg

49483622441_9c5d526d75_o.jpg

49483137448_6a6a2ac579_o.jpg

49484063702_2c5e4d4c72_o.jpg

49487021791_840d261a8f_o.jpg

I'd been searching on and off for a suitable sculpt for Velma, finding nothing that was youthful enough or with a hairstyle close enough, before realising the second Qi'ra was the solution.

Did anyone really have their preorders cancelled on this or was that just speculation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paint job, especially on the jacket, is amazing. It appears that the production company simply dipped this part into the paint can.

Back to the Mudtrooper.

I wasn't totally happy with the masked look as the mask is quite thick, so it extends forwards like a muzzle and makes it appear that the figure is sticking his chin out. I'd rather it was more flat faced, like a Stormtrooper helmet.

Part of the problem was that the mask was sitting a bit low relative to the helmet, judging by the placement of the air filters compared to the helmet corners.

I found a slightly shorter neck peg, which lowers the head and, of course, the helmet as well. In doing that the mask fits closer, becomes less of a muzzle and the profile is flatter. The inner collar mostly disappeared under the tunic again though.

50281577742_e57d37e227_c.jpg

50280735063_70dd6ed1f6_c.jpg

50280735078_d8764ea4bd_c.jpg

I'm a lot happier with him now.

Paint job, especially on the jacket, is amazing. It appears that the production company simply dipped this part into the paint can.

I think large parts of her, like the legs, boots, skirt, jacket and fur, were moulded in the final colour so they had minimal painting to do. The underlying sculpt though is very good, hindered by the ugly leg joints. Qi'ra's blaster, for instance, is very accurate.

I liked that. While modding, you can also cover the neck skin with something dark like regular grunts.

I liked that. While modding, you can also cover the neck skin with something dark like regular grunts.

I'm not too bothered by the neck really, as it's the camera flash that highlights it. Under normal circumstances it's in shadow under the mask.

The difficult thing is closing the tunic velcro because the hoses get in the way. I managed to get it tighter after taking the photos.

I looked for a way to remove the armour, but it looks sealed all round. Wonder if they dressed him then plugged the arms in afterwards?

Did anyone really have their preorders cancelled on this or was that just speculation?

Apparently Alter Ego here in the US had to cancel at least one and an unknown number of orders. Do not know if the fault lies with them, Sideshow, or Hot Toys. I have only seen that one complaint so far. Many folks including myself got preorders in about a week ago.

Apparently Alter Ego here in the US had to cancel at least one and an unknown number of orders. Do not know if the fault lies with them, Sideshow, or Hot Toys. I have only seen that one complaint so far. Many folks including myself got preorders in about a week ago.

Ok. I?m just wondering... I have this one preordered in two places and now the place where I usually buy my figures has it back up for preorder. I don?t want to end up with three and definitely not zero, so I was wondering if I should make yet another preorder or if I should trust that one of the others go through... [emoji51] it?s Europe btw

Ok. I?m just wondering... I have this one preordered in two places and now the place where I usually buy my figures has it back up for preorder. I don?t want to end up with three and definitely not zero, so I was wondering if I should make yet another preorder or if I should trust that one of the others go through... [emoji51] it?s Europe btw

Buying figures in Europe does seem to be a bit more of a minefield than it is here in the US because if you want a 99.99% guarantee you can order from Sideshow. It's arguable whether or not they are the best option though.

Yeah that was me. I'm the only one I've seen post about anything actually getting cancelled.

I just canceled my order at Popcultcha.
I know he is due anyway now,but I've just stepped down from a managerial position due to a **** of a Store Manager.
Not worth my mental health.
Good luck to anyone who may get this converted.

What a coincidence, I emailed TNS for an order update and they ship my mudtrooper like five minutes later lol. I wonder if they forgot about mine sitting there since most of you guys got yours already.

I just canceled my order at Popcultcha.
I know he is due anyway now,but I've just stepped down from a managerial position due to a **** of a Store Manager.
Not worth my mental health.
Good luck to anyone who may get this converted.

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you find a better position quick

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you find a better position quick

Cheers man.
Have been "in negotiations " with HR since Monday.
Should have a resolution tomorrow.
1 that will mean I drop cash,but finally will get to spend time with my wife and daughter.

This guy is a very nice figure though.

Good luck, Obi. Hopefully it will just be temporary. It's also good that at the very least you will have some steady income coming in.

Take care.

Cheers man.
Have been "in negotiations " with HR since Monday.
Should have a resolution tomorrow.
1 that will mean I drop cash,but finally will get to spend time with my wife and daughter.

This guy is a very nice figure though.

Best wishes for a good resolution to this issue. Having been in a similar situation myself, I understand the frustration. Not that it's positive or helpful right now, just remember the old hoary cliche "what goes around comes around" ...happened with the excrement I was dealing with and while I've moved on, there is a little satisfaction that he's no longer there torturing other people.

Make some good memories with those great ladies in your life and don't look back.

But keep coming here...always good to read your posts. Finally getting this figure out my way next week...I'll post my shots and take on it for consideration in case you pick it up later....

Last edited:
Back