1/6 Hot Toys - Solo: A Star Wars Story - HAN SOLO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing is beyond hideous. A good film, but that thing is so bad it makes those scenes almost unwatchable. Thankfully she's not in it enough to spoil the whole movie. Easily the worst droid ever in Star Wars.

Becoming a big fan of Waller-Bridge through Fleabag has made the character a bit more bearable for me, but yeah it still doesn't work that well in the movie.

I was in Morrisons today, walking up and down looking for something and happened upon the toy aisle.

They still had a couple of the Hasbro 12" Qi'ra figures on shelf, reduced to ?5.

IMG_8890.JPG

While she's obviously a cheap figure I was quite impressed by the sculpt and the sculpted detail in the clothing, so I decided not to leave her on the shelf.

If only there was the option of a Hot Toys. :gah: It's a bit like going from one extreme to the other, but she was only ?5 so what could go wrong? :lol

Out of the box I was even more impressed by the sculpting, especially the hair, hands and the fur and creases in her jacket, leggings and boots. She's better than she has any right to be, based on the simple construction that otherwise lets her down.

The biggest surprise was that on measuring her height (above her boot heels) she's exactly sixth scale for Emilia Clarke.

She's a candidate for repainting. I planned to use her in the background, like those Rogue One Interactech Stormtroopers which had really nice sculpting, natural poses and heads with enough mobility to inject a bit of character and attitude. They were actually even cheaper than the reduced Qi'ra when I bought them in bulk from Argos.

Becoming a big fan of Waller-Bridge through Fleabag has made the character a bit more bearable for me, but yeah it still doesn't work that well in the movie.

Yeah, watching Fleabag softens the blow, but the character still ends up being pretty jarring. Especially on the heels of K2, who was sort of a perfect droid character. I don't mind the Solo actor but I just don't really see him as Han -- looks nothing like Ford, is always grinning ear to ear, voice is totally different, and he looks older than Ford in ANH. To me the film would have worked better as a smuggler character that wasn't Han.

I was never sold on that lookalike for the role, but I'm guessing there might have been someone slightly more suited for the role. The Baby Driver guy seemed like he could have worked -- they basically dress him up as Han in that movie.

That thing is beyond hideous. A good film, but that thing is so bad it makes those scenes almost unwatchable. Thankfully she's not in it enough to spoil the whole movie. Easily the worst droid ever in Star Wars.

Gotta agree with the Capt. While I really liked "Solo", that droid was the Jar-Jar of the film. Brutal.

I hate that damned droid. Worst part of that whole movie(And there are some other bad parts too). And i don't mind Jar-Jar, lol, but i agree that it out-jar-jarred Jar-Jar...

The only character I've ever found to out Jar-Jar Jar-Jar is Kylo Ren, followed closely by the Roger Rogers.

Figures don't talk, especially if you don't put the batteries in, so I'd be down for an L3-37. Not that we're likely to ever see her.

The only character I've ever found to out Jar-Jar Jar-Jar is Kylo Ren, followed closely by the Roger Rogers.

Figures don't talk, especially if you don't put the batteries in, so I'd be down for an L3-37. Not that we're likely to ever see her.

That's fair comment. L3-37 *was* quite cool looking design wise. So i'll give you that. My own figure budget is stretched these days, so i can't ever collect all the ones i want.
I know what you mean with the battle droids. It's even worse in the Clone Wars cartoon where they are only comic relief and almost no threat to anyone(I reckon they were at their most threatening in AOTC when they weren't talking, and just relentlessly taking out Jedi by sheer weight of numbers).
My opinion stated in the post before is just my own. And of course, i don't mind Jar-Jar, so i am sure my opinion means little to the members here.

That's fair comment. L3-37 *was* quite cool looking design wise. So i'll give you that. My own figure budget is stretched these days, so i can't ever collect all the ones i want.
I know what you mean with the battle droids. It's even worse in the Clone Wars cartoon where they are only comic relief and almost no threat to anyone(I reckon they were at their most threatening in AOTC when they weren't talking, and just relentlessly taking out Jedi by sheer weight of numbers).
My opinion stated in the post before is just my own. And of course, i don't mind Jar-Jar, so i am sure my opinion means little to the members here.

L3-37's overt politics were the only real low point in Solo for me, beyond the Imperial officer giving Solo his name (which appears to negate the Solo family history). Apart from that I loved the movie for the old school Star Wars EU feel. I like the stories that focus on the scum and villainy element, rather than the Force powered super heroes (which has really become a big thing with the Sequels).

Back when Lucas introduced the Roger Rogers it seemed clear it was only so he could have the Jedi slice and dice at will, without having to deal with fallout from the dismemberment of so many humans or aliens. Though I don't know why he felt the need to dumb them down so much.

As for rising figure costs, this is really killing off a lot of the fun with collecting at this scale. When I started with Sideshow Star Wars they were ?20-25 each, much like Dragon's military figures. While the quality has without a doubt increased so much since those days, the price for that quality is far outstripping the improvements.

L3-37's overt politics were the only real low point in Solo for me, beyond the Imperial officer giving Solo his name (which appears to negate the Solo family history). Apart from that I loved the movie for the old school Star Wars EU feel. I like the stories that focus on the scum and villainy element, rather than the Force powered super heroes (which has really become a big thing with the Sequels).

I know what you're saying.
I worry that the previous half-decade's movies(In general, not SW specifically), are remembered many years hence, it was for ham-fistedly hammering home political agendas that didn't need to be in movies, where we go to escape from hum-drum life.
I grew up watching Ripley, Princess Leia, Sarah Connor, Laurie Strode, Foxy Brown, Leeloo, etc(Amongst *many* others), and never needed anyone to tell me that women in movies can be take charge and kick a$$. That message was never hidden. I can fully understand that(As a 42 year old white guy from Scotland), maybe there was a lot less diversity in movies that i just wasn't seeing, so i can put my hands up and admit maybe my own demographic was fully(Or even perhaps) over-represented in movies. But i never felt women were being portrayed as weak. There's something about most of the recent movies i have seen that seems a bit forced. But... I often worry these movies are no longer being made for me. I recently watched The Witcher and loved it, but there were a few characters i just outright despised. So i always just assume that if those characters play well for others, then they "weren't made for me". It doesn't mean i can't enjoy the show, or a movie. Just that the demographic it is aimed at only peripherally includes me.
I think it's that way with the recent SW movies. I *love* star wars more than any other franchise. It means more to me that almost anything else on screen, and has done my entire life. I'm entrenched in the lore, and know from memory entire background character's backstories that are just ludicrous to have memorised, lol.
But if i walk away from a SW movie that i didn't like parts of, i just assume those were put in there to appeal to others than me. And i try to ignore those characters, and focus on the parts i did like. And nothing draws that more into focus than the likes of L3-37, Kylo Ren, Rey, Qi'Ra, Enfys Nest, Val, Beckett, Finn, Poe, etc.
In that list(Everyone who has taken the time to read this rambling post), will have characters they like, and ones they don't(For varying reasons). Ususally, the reasons most people don't like more recent characters are in relation to the OT characters, so they "don't seem to fit"(Whether the person is able to articulate it or not), usually it's because that character behaves in a "non-OT" way, etc. And that's fair comment also. But maybe, just maybe... The people who write these things are writing them for a different audience. And that's not to say we can't all find something to enjoy, as the audience for TROS has proven(For as many people who have a problem with parts, many do enjoy the whole).
As a rule, what i always say is: "It's Star Wars. I love it. Give me more"

Back when Lucas introduced the Roger Rogers it seemed clear it was only so he could have the Jedi slice and dice at will, without having to deal with fallout from the dismemberment of so many humans or aliens. Though I don't know why he felt the need to dumb them down so much.

No. It's probably for the kids. But they could have been truly terrifying if they didn't talk.

As for rising figure costs, this is really killing off a lot of the fun with collecting at this scale. When I started with Sideshow Star Wars they were ?20-25 each, much like Dragon's military figures. While the quality has without a doubt increased so much since those days, the price for that quality is far outstripping the improvements.

Yeah. I think it was yourself that posted the pics of the Hasbro Qi-Ra yesterday? That one actually looked nice, and made me want to see if i could pick one up for a repaint.

I know what you're saying.
I worry that the previous half-decade's movies(In general, not SW specifically), are remembered many years hence, it was for ham-fistedly hammering home political agendas that didn't need to be in movies, where we go to escape from hum-drum life.
I grew up watching Ripley, Princess Leia, Sarah Connor, Laurie Strode, Foxy Brown, Leeloo, etc(Amongst *many* others), and never needed anyone to tell me that women in movies can be take charge and kick a$$. That message was never hidden. I can fully understand that(As a 42 year old white guy from Scotland), maybe there was a lot less diversity in movies that i just wasn't seeing, so i can put my hands up and admit maybe my own demographic was fully(Or even perhaps) over-represented in movies. But i never felt women were being portrayed as weak. There's something about most of the recent movies i have seen that seems a bit forced. But... I often worry these movies are no longer being made for me. I recently watched The Witcher and loved it, but there were a few characters i just outright despised. So i always just assume that if those characters play well for others, then they "weren't made for me". It doesn't mean i can't enjoy the show, or a movie. Just that the demographic it is aimed at only peripherally includes me.
I think it's that way with the recent SW movies. I *love* star wars more than any other franchise. It means more to me that almost anything else on screen, and has done my entire life. I'm entrenched in the lore, and know from memory entire background character's backstories that are just ludicrous to have memorised, lol.
But if i walk away from a SW movie that i didn't like parts of, i just assume those were put in there to appeal to others than me. And i try to ignore those characters, and focus on the parts i did like. And nothing draws that more into focus than the likes of L3-37, Kylo Ren, Rey, Qi'Ra, Enfys Nest, Val, Beckett, Finn, Poe, etc.
In that list(Everyone who has taken the time to read this rambling post), will have characters they like, and ones they don't(For varying reasons). Ususally, the reasons most people don't like more recent characters are in relation to the OT characters, so they "don't seem to fit"(Whether the person is able to articulate it or not), usually it's because that character behaves in a "non-OT" way, etc. And that's fair comment also. But maybe, just maybe... The people who write these things are writing them for a different audience. And that's not to say we can't all find something to enjoy, as the audience for TROS has proven(For as many people who have a problem with parts, many do enjoy the whole).
As a rule, what i always say is: "It's Star Wars. I love it. Give me more"

Yes, there have been strong women in cinema for many many years. I think back to Katherine Hepburn in the 1938 comedy, Bringing Up Baby, or even the cliffhanger serials of the 1930s and 1940s where the women were often resourceful or even the actual heroines (as in several jungle serials). They no doubt gave rise to Lucas' creation of Princess Leia, the girl who didn't flinch when standing up to Vader or Tarkin.

Yet nowadays it seems positive discrimination is literally forcing the issue, and undermining itself in the same breath because it no longer appears natural but agenda driven. The Sequel Trilogy was obsessed with showing that females are dominant in the human species, going beyond a simple requirement for the equality of the sexes. So Rey becomes a super heroine, innately gifted, whereas the men before her had to train for years in order to gain just a fraction of her skills.

Throughout TROS I couldn't help but think of Rey as a version of Supergirl. Yet, I found the actual Melissa Benoist Supergirl to be a far more charming, self-effacing character.

Username said:
Yeah. I think it was yourself that posted the pics of the Hasbro Qi-Ra yesterday? That one actually looked nice, and made me want to see if i could pick one up for a repaint.

Yes, that was a fun little unexpected find.

She's really just a statue with joints, but so well sculpted in spite of those limitations. As with those Interactech Stormtroopers her head's on a ball joint so you can add a bit of character with a full range of movement.

I couldn't tell if L3 was genuine ... or supposed to be a parody. Even Lando rolls his eyes at the thing. It's so over-the-top and obnoxious that it borders on tongue-in-cheek. Half of her lines are making a fool of herself ("Can I get you anything?" "EQUAL RIGHTS!" "Ugh.").

It is a little funny that the annoyingly vocal droid-liberation bot ended-up scrapped for parts, completely voiceless, and imprisoned in a ship computer. Another reason I thought it might be a parody.

SnakeDoc

I couldn't tell if L3 was genuine ... or supposed to be a parody. Even Lando rolls his eyes at the thing. It's so over-the-top and obnoxious that it borders on tongue-in-cheek. Half of her lines are making a fool of herself ("Can I get you anything?" "EQUAL RIGHTS!" "Ugh.").

It is a little funny that the annoyingly vocal droid-liberation bot ended-up scrapped for parts, completely voiceless, and imprisoned in a ship computer. Another reason I thought it might be a parody.

SnakeDoc

Yeah I didn't take anything seriously, I had a laugh at her lines. I really can't believe how bad some people want to force politics into things. I didn't come out of the movie thinking that at all. But I don't waste my time watching politics 24/7 either, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I?m honestly starting to think that this figure is never going to be released

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnakeDoc

L3's politics were obviously played for laughs, but it was a joke that I think they pushed too far.

Droid rights is something that goes back to the OT, with Threepio commenting that it was their lot in life to suffer. Or that droids were fitted with restraining bolts to stop them running away. The droids have always had personalities and individual will, but were bound by duty/programming to serve. The restraining bolts indicate that their free will might lead to their rebelling.

L3's mission was the logical conclusion of that thought, but she just happened to do it in an annoying fashion!

I?m honestly starting to think that this figure is never going to be released

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will one day this year but since the movie flopped sadly HT likely has it on the back burner ala Justice League Superman. But even then their schedule is weird. Take Gamora from Guardians 2, a hit movie and delayed like crazy

Yeah I didn't take anything seriously, I had a laugh at her lines. I really can't believe how bad some people want to force politics into things. I didn't come out of the movie thinking that at all. But I don't waste my time watching politics 24/7 either, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Well, it was political, whether it's a parody or not. Intentionally. I don't think that's reading too much into the intent of the writer/ director/ actress. It's either a direct political statement ... or a mockery of people who sound like that when making political statements. Or, a little of both.

SnakeDoc

I was in Morrisons today, walking up and down looking for something and happened upon the toy aisle.

They still had a couple of the Hasbro 12" Qi'ra figures on shelf, reduced to ?5.

While she's obviously a cheap figure I was quite impressed by the sculpt and the sculpted detail in the clothing, so I decided not to leave her on the shelf.

If only there was the option of a Hot Toys. :gah: It's a bit like going from one extreme to the other, but she was only ?5 so what could go wrong? :lol

Out of the box I was even more impressed by the sculpting, especially the hair, hands and the fur and creases in her jacket, leggings and boots. She's better than she has any right to be, based on the simple construction that otherwise lets her down.

The biggest surprise was that on measuring her height (above her boot heels) she's exactly sixth scale for Emilia Clarke.

She's a candidate for repainting. I planned to use her in the background, like those Rogue One Interactech Stormtroopers which had really nice sculpting, natural poses and heads with enough mobility to inject a bit of character and attitude. They were actually even cheaper than the reduced Qi'ra when I bought them in bulk from Argos.

I just went into the local Morrisons and they also had one of Qi'Ra. It's a very good sculpt, let down only by the painting, like you said.
I popped the figure's head into boiling water and have removed the head and the separate hair pieces and it's a strong likeness.
I am going to make a quick and dirty mould just to have a copy without paint on it, to see if there's a salvageable likeness that is worth repainting.
The boots are a nice sculpt too. Might be worth removing those to be used for another figure.
Well worth a fiver. If i ever see any more, i'll pick them up for sure.

I just went into the local Morrisons and they also had one of Qi'Ra. It's a very good sculpt, let down only by the painting, like you said.
I popped the figure's head into boiling water and have removed the head and the separate hair pieces and it's a strong likeness.
I am going to make a quick and dirty mould just to have a copy without paint on it, to see if there's a salvageable likeness that is worth repainting.
The boots are a nice sculpt too. Might be worth removing those to be used for another figure.
Well worth a fiver. If i ever see any more, i'll pick them up for sure.

Glad you managed to find her. :)

I don't know that I'll attempt a repaint of the face, though it wouldn't be too hard to add some detail to the clothing, belt and boots.

Dullcote might improve the face by reducing the shine.

Glad you managed to find her. :)

I don't know that I'll attempt a repaint of the face, though it wouldn't be too hard to add some detail to the clothing, belt and boots.

Dullcote might improve the face by reducing the shine.

My thinking at this point is just to see if the sculpt would hold up to a HT level of painting.
The whole figure is good but it looks like a 1/18 figure scaled up. We know she was scanned for merchandise as all the actors are, so it might be a result of that.
I did notice that the main jacket and neck are one piece. The neck is the same colour as the jacket at the top of the ball joint. So the neck and her shirt are painted. Which is why the neck doesn?t quite match up to the colour of the face.

My thinking at this point is just to see if the sculpt would hold up to a HT level of painting.
The whole figure is good but it looks like a 1/18 figure scaled up. We know she was scanned for merchandise as all the actors are, so it might be a result of that.
I did notice that the main jacket and neck are one piece. The neck is the same colour as the jacket at the top of the ball joint. So the neck and her shirt are painted. Which is why the neck doesn?t quite match up to the colour of the face.

Will be interesting to see that paint up.

I intend to use her in the background, with Solo in the foreground.

Would really like a proper figure though.

Back