Hot Toys Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Shang Chi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would kill for a new HT Bruce Lee! In the meantime here's a comp I did of Shang Chi with the sculpt.
IMG_20210831_230055.jpg

Likeness is on point, but that's the problem with headsculpts, you need an extra action headsculpt for figures like this, but I doubt Hot Toys is willing to put extra effort in.

I think these look phenomenal and will be ordering! Hoping this movie kicks ass like BP! Got tix already!!!! Excited!!!

Lmaooo even though you're being facetious, yeah, I actually think they do.

As an Asian-American I personally can't stand that very blatantly fake look a lot of Asians (Chinese, Koreans) go for with the manufactured unnatural larger eyes and fake tiny noses...but that's apparently popular and desirable there... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really interesting phenomenon gmoney. I remember reading a couple of articles a few years ago about how incredibly popular certain types of plastic surgery are in South Korea and China. Of course the growing up in Los Angeles I am accustomed to plastic surgery becoming normalized/popular I wasn’t aware of how pervasive it was becoming in certain parts of Asia. It seems as though the explanations for the growth in that industry in Asia has some old social reasons combined with contemporary perceptions/expectations of beauty. I have no expertise in this subject (here or in Asia) but I do think it is overall interesting and a bit troubling in some respects.

As far as the figure is concerned, I agree with most here that the sculpt looks amazing but it would have been great to add another face with a more dynamic expression. I am also a bit underwhelmed by his outfit, particularly the pants ...I still might get him though, after I see the film.

I would kill for a new HT Bruce Lee! In the meantime here's a comp I did of Shang Chi with the sculpt.
View attachment 536651
Wow. This comparison actually shows how good of a job they did with this figure. Even the costume is almost a 1/1 match to the movies counterpart which is a rare thing when doing a side by side comparison like this. They got it right down to the very small details that run throughout his costume.

Well done to Hot Toys with this one.

Really interesting phenomenon gmoney. I remember reading a couple of articles a few years ago about how incredibly popular certain types of plastic surgery are in South Korea and China. Of course the growing up in Los Angeles I am accustomed to plastic surgery becoming normalized/popular I wasn’t aware of how pervasive it was becoming in certain parts of Asia. It seems as though the explanations for the growth in that industry in Asia has some old social reasons combined with contemporary perceptions/expectations of beauty. I have no expertise in this subject (here or in Asia) but I do think it is overall interesting and a bit troubling in some respects.

As far as the figure is concerned, I agree with most here that the sculpt looks amazing but it would have been great to add another face with a more dynamic expression. I am also a bit underwhelmed by his outfit, particularly the pants ...I still might get him though, after I see the film.
Yeah, it's definitely a cultural thing...but what I can't comprehend is the blatantly fake look they go for. It's like they wanna look like anime characters so they get these really exaggerated big eyes and it just looks so wonky and weird...but yeah, if that's the case of course they're gonna think Simu is ugly. He fits none of those fabricated features.

But yeah, going back to the "costume," it's honestly not even a superhero costume, it's a uniform almost. A dope costume ANYONE wants to wear. Batman, Spider-Man, Black Panther, etc...it transcends the race of those characters. Anyone, Black, White, Asian would find it dope AF to dress up as those characters...the Shang-Chi uniform is so Chinese-centric it has no mass appeal.

And then just regular black jeans and sneaks for the rest of the attire??? It seems so haphazard, that's why I can't even call the outfit a "costume!"

Anyways, let's see how the movie is. If it's at least decent/good then this figure will be a lock for me...as long as the final product is as hi-def as the proto.

The closer this movie is getting to U.S. release, the more targeted articles from big corp publications and from actors frankly are pushing the race card on this. That's what makes me sick as a Marvel fan. I just want the movie to be good and the character to be a worthy addition to an eventual Avengers roster spot. Yet here we are again, talking representation yadda, yadda. Well you already have the trailers showing me nothing, so I won't be paying admission. Black Panther/Captain Marvel all over again, but those trailers at least showed me something I wanted to see. Feige talks like he had to walk a tight rope in what wasn't deemed racist in the interpretation of Shang-Chi and I hope that didn't make it worse. I miss those old school kung fu movies.

The closer this movie is getting to U.S. release, the more targeted articles from big corp publications and from actors frankly are pushing the race card on this. That's what makes me sick as a Marvel fan. I just want the movie to be good and the character to be a worthy addition to an eventual Avengers roster spot. Yet here we are again, talking representation yadda, yadda. Well you already have the trailers showing me nothing, so I won't be paying admission. Black Panther/Captain Marvel all over again, but those trailers at least showed me something I wanted to see. Feige talks like he had to walk a tight rope in what wasn't deemed racist in the interpretation of Shang-Chi and I hope that didn't make it worse. I miss those old school kung fu movies.

As far as martial arts are concerned with the Marvel universe, I've always associated it with the Iron Fist. Even with that, I considered Danny in the C list tier in terms of popularity. Shang Chi I've heard in passing and don't really know anything about the guy. It's a push for diversity on Marvel/Disney's part. I'm Asian as well but I don't feel any kinship to this movie. If anything, I feel this is Disney sucking up hard to China and unfortunately for them, it's not working.

I don't want to be preached to when watching a movie. It's an escape. So I have almost stopped watching new movies. Watched The Sting for the first time a few nights ago. Robert Redfords partner and mentor is black. They do not spend half the movie telling me that I'm an fine fellow and I have mistreated this community and blah blah blah. He is just another great character in a great movie. In Unforgiven, my favorite movie, Morgan Freeman is just Clints pal. In The Last Dragon, when I saw that as a kid, I didn't think ... "But ... he's black." It was just another cool movie. I wanted to be that hero. I didn't care what the colour of his skin was. I identified with the character, not his etnicity. I am so sick and ******* tired of political correctness. I am done with Marvel. Some Youtuber started talking about there not being enough diversity from Hot Toys. I almost lost my mind. "Et tu, Brute?" Hot toys makes what sells. They don't (thank God) care about diversity. His argument was that there was only one Finn from HT. Yeah, cause everyone hated the character in the movie. Not because he is black. There weren't enough black female representations. Jesus. You can always find something that's wrong. Why haven't Hot Toys made the All Female Ghost Buster figures? Cause Hot Toys hate women and especially black woman OR because the film was a turd?

I don't want to be preached to when watching a movie. It's an escape. So I have almost stopped watching new movies. Watched The Sting for the first time a few nights ago. Robert Redfords partner and mentor is black. They do not spend half the movie telling me that I'm an ******* and I have mistreated this community and blah blah blah. He is just another great character in a great movie. In Unforgiven, my favorite movie, Morgan Freeman is just Clints pal. In The Last Dragon, when I saw that as a kid, I didn't think ... "But ... he's black." It was just another cool movie. I wanted to be that hero. I didn't care what the colour of his skin was. I identified with the character, not his etnicity. I am so sick and ******* tired of political correctness. I am done with Marvel. Some Youtuber started talking about there not being enough diversity from Hot Toys. I almost lost my mind. "Et tu, Brute?" Hot toys makes what sells. They don't (thank God) care about diversity. His argument was that there was only one Finn from HT. Yeah, cause everyone hated the character in the movie. Not because he is black. There weren't enough black female representations. Jesus. You can always find something that's wrong. Why haven't Hot Toys made the All Female Ghost Buster figures? Cause Hot Toys hate women and especially black woman OR because the film was a turd?

And what about this movie makes you feel like you're being preached to? It really goes both ways, you can't make a movie nowadays with a female lead or a minority lead without being called woke, SJW or pandering. And when people complain about movies or whatever medium being politically correct, the people who have felt shunned and under represented will speak up about it. Its a never ending cycle.

Yes, there are people who will complain about not enough diversity, whether the complaints are valid or not, but people like you arguing against it are not any better. This is the first Asian led superhero movie ever, EVER and people feel the need to ***** and moan about it, what does it say about those people? Like I'm on a damn toy forum and I can't even escape this crap.

Yeah, it's definitely a cultural thing...but what I can't comprehend is the blatantly fake look they go for. It's like they wanna look like anime characters so they get these really exaggerated big eyes and it just looks so wonky and weird...but yeah, if that's the case of course they're gonna think Simu is ugly. He fits none of those fabricated features.

But yeah, going back to the "costume," it's honestly not even a superhero costume, it's a uniform almost. A dope costume ANYONE wants to wear. Batman, Spider-Man, Black Panther, etc...it transcends the race of those characters. Anyone, Black, White, Asian would find it dope AF to dress up as those characters...the Shang-Chi uniform is so Chinese-centric it has no mass appeal.

And then just regular black jeans and sneaks for the rest of the attire??? It seems so haphazard, that's why I can't even call the outfit a "costume!"

Anyways, let's see how the movie is. If it's at least decent/good then this figure will be a lock for me...as long as the final product is as hi-def as the proto.
Yeah, there are several routes to go with plastic surgery and when you think about it some people are just going to gravitate toward exaggerated/fake looks because for some reason they think it is desirable or believe (which may be true) that the society they live in values or finds those features desirable. I guess that is true all over the world and there is probably just significant variance in which exaggerated features are popular depending on which region or country is being considered ...who knows?

I do know that I agree with you about his "costume" being boring/non impactful. You make an interesting point about the possibility of his clothes being too Chinese-centric to have mass appeal. You may be right about that, but I think they probably could have still had a very Chinese-centric type costume but made it more exciting for broader audiences.

For instance I would be a lot more inclined to PO this figure right now (hahaha you know how I'm one of those people who still does pre-orders despite these crazy delays) if his costume looked more like this ...

Attachments

• Shang Chi_25bf148a071ff5eb2ea1432b6735df21d.jpg
    Shang Chi_25bf148a071ff5eb2ea1432b6735df21d.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
As far as martial arts are concerned with the Marvel universe, I've always associated it with the Iron Fist. Even with that, I considered Danny in the C list tier in terms of popularity. Shang Chi I've heard in passing and don't really know anything about the guy. It's a push for diversity on Marvel/Disney's part. I'm Asian as well but I don't feel any kinship to this movie. If anything, I feel this is Disney sucking up hard to China and unfortunately for them, it's not working.
Surprisingly, Shang-Chi's first appearance was before Iron Fist. Marvel comics certainly dropped the ball on developing him as a cool character.

I've been around for a while, and Shang-Chi has never made much headway into the Marvel forefront. I'm glad they're introducing the character but they probably should've introduced him first into another movie (maybe Dr. Strange with his eastern ties and mysticism) before giving him his own movie.

Back