Hot Toys Sandtrooper MMS 295

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again, great work Solo Bones! On a side note...the Marmit calf armor looks so much better IMO. Going to have to upgrade my trooper on of these days.

Once again, great work Solo Bones! On a side note...the Marmit calf armor looks so much better IMO. Going to have to upgrade my trooper on of these days.

Thanks, guys.

Yes! The calf armor is better. But the HT calves aren't bad....nothing like Sideshows. They work fine....but Marmits look really good from all angles.

After looking at these pictures of the HT, and comparing it to my Marmit bash....I find my Sideshow Sandtrooper kind of blah. I now understand what the complaints are about them being dull and overly weathered.

The sideshow troopers look like they got cat**** tossed all over them. Horridly over weathered. The first time I opened the clamshell on one (Desert Sands) which i think is the worst weathering of all of them. I immediately thought of pigpen.....:lol

500px-Peanuts_-_Pigpen_Hoedown.png

The Hot Toys Sandtrooper is excellent. It's hard to want to customize them when they come so tight. The armor is very well secured and they nailed it perfectly, in terms of how well the different pieces go to gather and how tight they are to the body.

The helmet is superb. It's not perfect, but it's beautiful and it really carries the feel of the ANH stand troopers. Again, it's not a replica of the film prop helmets, but it's a great representation. The HT figure will really fit in with your Marmit bashes.

For reference here is the desert sands version. Way too yellow as it is applied to the whole body and then additionally weathered. The lid is nice and the accessories are not bad, the body needs worked to make the armor fit well.

maxresdefault.jpg

Marmit, while an inferior plastic, is still a superior sculpt in almost every way to the SS. I do love their packs, weapons, hands and extras on the SS though. HT's version is the figure SS should have released. Oh well, it's here now.

Argh!! Outstanding work solo_bones, now I have to build a vaporater of my own. :bow Did you start with any plans/dimensions, or did you just eyeball it?

brentce

Argh!! Outstanding work solo_bones, now I have to build a vaporater of my own. :bow Did you start with any plans/dimensions, or did you just eyeball it?

brentce

Thanks, Brentce!! I totally eyeballed it. My initial plan was to do an artistic representation, because I didn't think I could just build one from scratch and make it look like the real thing.

I never did a model before, let alone scratch build one. I did use one sort of schematic I found online, but it wasn't accurate...and it screwed up my final product because it was too late before I realized it wasn't l like the movie prop. Later, I started referencing pictures from the movie to get the accuracy, I never found any good material for seeing all sides of the actual movie prop until AFTER I completed it. One kind forum member left a link to a 3d schematic on my page in the customs section.

I'm thinking of making another one sometime when I have spare time and no projects on the table....this time, with plans.

Thanks again, really appreciate it. I love it. It looks better in person too.

"...because I didn't think I could just build one from scratch and make it look like the real thing."

Well, you sure as hell did make it look like the real thing! It totally captures the essence and sets up an out-flippin'-standing display. And LEDS always make things that much cooler! :clap Do you still have the schematic? I'd love to have a look at it...

Thanks!
Brent

Marmit, while an inferior plastic, is still a superior sculpt in almost every way to the SS. I do love their packs, weapons, hands and extras on the SS though. HT's version is the figure SS should have released. Oh well, it's here now.

What I liked about the Marmit armor was you could use it on a figure that appears "too big" by heating it with a hair dryer. Fits nice and snug.

Thanks, brentce!! Super stoked on the kind words. Anwe hooked me up with this, after my VAP was complete:

There is a link in the text, you can flip it, zoom it and do whatever you like with it: Moisture Vaporator by COSEDIMARCO - 3D model - Sketchfab

I would use this one ^^^^^^ if I was going to do it again.

Here is what I used, but it lead me down the wrong path: (scroll down a bit)

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...nd-dioramas/121093-newbie-attempt-dio-13.html

Excellent- thanks!

Re-watched some ANH scenes last night. This one was modeled like a "face" -- it's pretty clearly the move-along trooper, down to the asymmetrically painted frown.

Back