Hot Toys Sandtrooper MMS 295

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some pics of my custom Sandtrooper.
IMG_3483.JPG
IMG_3486.JPG
IMG_3487.jpg

Just got this guy... love it! This is actually my first 1/6 OT stormtrooper, and I can't believe I waited so long to get one.
Those backpack straps, however, suck. I added some magnets and some styrene rod supports, and now he's strap-free. The magnet glued to the backpack sticks right into that circular recess in the back, where there's another magnet glued to the underside of the armor, so it looks stock from the outside.

20170227_194741-1_zpsqo7n9imx.jpg

20170227_195339-1_zps3iqi5bqf.jpg

20170227_195407-1_zpssaey0lag.jpg

Here's mine again after shining him up a little bit. I wasn't crazy about how flat and plasticky he looked before (since even the Sandtroopers still had some shine to them). But now that it's looking more like real armor I'm liking the figure a lot more.

20170305_112051 (624x1100) (2).jpg

20170305_112154 (669x1000).jpg

20170305_112301 (809x950).jpg

Just some Quick Shine floor finish (since I couldn't find the Future floor wax I used to get). I was a bit nervous about it, but I tested it out on a few areas and it dried really smooth and clear so I just painted the whole figure with it. It makes the figure look a bit more solid and expensive I think, but also doesn't keep the weathering from still looking like weathering.

I did have to add a bit more dirt to the chest though, since the area on mine looked a little too much like smeared paint. I tried to hide that as best I could, but turns out painting dirt is not an easy thing to do!

Just some Quick Shine floor finish (since I couldn't find the Future floor wax I used to get). I was a bit nervous about it, but I tested it out on a few areas and it dried really smooth and clear so I just painted the whole figure with it. It makes the figure look a bit more solid and expensive I think, but also doesn't keep the weathering from still looking like weathering.

I did have to add a bit more dirt to the chest though, since the area on mine looked a little too much like smeared paint. I tried to hide that as best I could, but turns out painting dirt is not an easy thing to do!

So this is basically floor wax? Does it yellow with time or flake after a while? I love the look but I'm a bit concerned about what I'd be doing to the figure long-term.

Also, doesn't all the HT weathering then go high-gloss as well when you put on the floor coating over it? Is that why you added your own weathering, to make the grime matte again?

I've seen the Future wax thing done with "clean" figures before, but haven't seen what you do with weathered items.

So this is basically floor wax? Does it yellow with time or flake after a while? I love the look but I'm a bit concerned about what I'd be doing to the figure long-term.

Also, doesn't all the HT weathering then go high-gloss as well when you put on the floor coating over it? Is that why you added your own weathering, to make the grime matte again?

I've seen the Future wax thing done with "clean" figures before, but haven't seen what you do with weathered items.

My thoughts as well.

It looks great, but I don't think I'd have the courage to just shoot from the hip and apply a coat of something on a figure when I don't know what the long term ramifications will be.

From what I can see it doesn't stop the brown from still looking like a coat of dust or dirt over the armor, since it's made up of tiny little specks and has that rougher texture over top (and isn't like a solid mark of brown paint or something).

And I added the polish a couple months ago and haven't noticed any trace of yellowing yet. I suppose it could happen further down the road, but all the other aging issues people have with their figures (flaking leather, leaking batteries, oil leaching out of old Sideshow heads, etc) I've never encountered with any of mine, so I'm not too worried. And if there is a problem it just gives me an excuse to repaint the whole thing and shine up the paint itself, which is what I would have preferred anyway. :)

Bottom line is I wasn't happy at all with how flat the armor looked before, so I was going to have to make some change to it.

Back