Hot Toys Sandtrooper and Dewback 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered the Dewback and Sandtrooper combo.

Hot Toys Dewback 02.jpg

Yeah I was asking a week or two ago whether people minded that. There's an argument for both (base and no base) but at the prices these things are you'd think providing a base to give people the option would have been nice.

To me visually the desert sand is part of the look for the Dew (in the same way snow is for a Taun,) so it's nice to have it on a base.

While the Dew standing directly on the display surface does solve things like height of figures displayed interacting with it, I'd say most, if not all people would prefer a base or the option to add one.

There aren't many 1/6 items that have no display stand/base, at least at the high-end. This seems to be one of them.
I think HT probably feels that anyone who wants a desert base could easily make their own with some model train sand. And this thing is already expensive enough as it is.

I think HT probably feels that anyone who wants a desert base could easily make their own with some model train sand. And this thing is already expensive enough as it is.
Just the packaging and weight alone it hardly makes sense.

Also imagine the price add on for a huge chunk of plastic, the custom mould cost, the size of the press to run it on etc etc

Just the packaging and weight alone it hardly makes sense.

Also imagine the price add on for a huge chunk of plastic, the custom mould cost, the size of the press to run it on etc etc
I'm glad there is no base as it will be way more economical to make one myself if I choose to do so.

I would probably have been fine paying $495 versus $455 if it included a large display base with realistic sculpted/painted sand dune and rocks and metallic name plaque. I just think it would have added a lot, especially if it had room for an extra sandie or two.

Just not sure this Dewback standing on a big Michaels particle board oval with some PVC-glued sand+paint will have quite the same effect, though it's obviously going to depend on individual customizing skills.

And HT doesn't really use polystone/resin in the same way SSC did when they had the SW license, so it's likely a HT Dewback base would have just been that plastic style they've done with releases like the speeder bike, so not a huge weight addition like the SSC Dewback base was.

Last edited:
Exactly. Most of their bases are not what people want anyway. I'm going to start planning mine now !
It's true that - despite what I just posted above - HT hasn't exactly hit it out of the park with "terrain" display base sculpts. Their standard sand (/snow) base was way overused and somewhat meh as a sculpt and the paint was serviceable but not great.

Though I was fairly happy with the realism on the somewhat recent ROTJ speeder bike display base (the rocks/dirt are insanely real, the ferns not so much) so I would have been interested to see what a large, newly sculpted desert sand base might have looked like from HT.

It's true that - despite what I just posted above - HT hasn't exactly hit it out of the park with "terrain" display base sculpts. Their standard sand (/snow) base was way overused and somewhat meh as a sculpt and the paint was serviceable but not great.

Though I was fairly happy with the realism on the somewhat recent ROTJ speeder bike display base (the rocks/dirt are insanely real, the ferns not so much) so I would have been interested to see what a large, newly sculpted desert sand base might have looked like from HT.
The old HT Predator and Battle Damage Endoskeleton bases are great, much better than the new square stands HT started using

Does anyone know the exact height of the 1/6 Dewback the trooper mounted? Hot Toys listed the exact dimensions of the Dewback but were remiss with the dims of the Dewback with the trooper on his mount. I am currently trying to source a suitable display case in preparation for my Dewback's arrival next year but I have gone with the dims of a custom case being Length 33" Width 15" and Height being 22" (approx) which came to the princely sum of $700+ to have a custom acrylic case made up with those dims. So if anyone here knows the exact height of Sideshow's polystone Dewback plus 1/6 trooper mounted, that would be a great help.

I have also entertained the idea of using an old second hand fish tank or something similar as $700 is WAYYY too much and I can't find anything like Besta or Moducase that would be suitable.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the exact height of the 1/6 Dewback the trooper mounted? Hot Toys listed the exact dimensions of the Dewback but were remiss with the dims of the Dewback with the trooper on his mount. I am currently trying to source a suitable display case in preparation for my Dewback's arrival next year but I have gone with the dims of a custom case being Length 33" Width 15" and Height being 22" (approx) which came to the princely sum of $700+ to have a custom acrylic case made up with those dims. So if anyone here knows the exact height of Sideshow's polystone Dewback plus 1/6 trooper mounted, that would be a great help.

I have also entertained the idea of using an old second hand fish tank or something similar as $700 is WAYYY too much and I can't find anything like Besta or Moducase that would be suitable.
Height of the Dewback is probably to the top of the saddle pommel. I assume you have one other 1/6 figure. Just measure it in a sitting position and add some cm/inches for head room. Plus a baseplate thickness if you're doing a base like the rest of us.

Plan B would be to wait until it arrives. I've got a couple of similar projects and have also decided simply to wait until it arrives.

Height of the Dewback is probably to the top of the saddle pommel. I assume you have one other 1/6 figure. Just measure it in a sitting position and add some cm/inches for head room. Plus a baseplate thickness if you're doing a base like the rest of us.

Plan B would be to wait until it arrives. I've got a couple of similar projects and have also decided simply to wait until it arrives.
Thanks for your input on my enquiry, I've got a HT Sandy Commander that I'll be using so I'll use him for the height measurement and in the meantime I can work on the base, thanks again!

Finally sourced the funds to PO this set. Always loved the Dewbacks/Sand Trooper combo's. Never had one as a kid (Always wanted one but X wings and Tie fighters took Birthday and Xmas gift priority) and passed on the Black series. Very selective on my Star Wars Hot Toys, only IV and V. This will be a wonderful piece to add to my display. Just could not pass, I am certain this will have amazing presence-In other words how the heck to display it?

I keep trying to talk myself out of getting this by finding nitpick reasons since I already have the SS version.
1. Lack of base? I could make my own.
2. More Mando style instead of OT? Who cares?
2. Better material that will last longer? Just don’t sell the SS. Wait that’s a pro.
3. More detail and better paint apps? I’m fine with what I have. Damn! Another pro.
4. Swap out parts for a variety of display options? This is not going the way I’d hoped.
5. Darker paint scheme than OT? Do we really know what color he was on set?

Sells a kidney to fund the preorder.

Back