Hot Toys Sandtrooper and Dewback 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was the very first image I ever saw of something called "Star Wars"...
Same.

The photo was printed in some scholastic freebie paper/magazine that they handed out to all the kids in my 4th grade class a month or two before summer vacation started in June.

Seeing this, looking so old school pre-CG with the stocky legs, hits me right in the feels.

I hope they don't pull a bait and switch and make it look like the CG SE version when they get final approvals and put it into production.

Last edited:
Ah, yes! This is what I like with our community. Finding small gems throughout movies, then hopefully having them recreated in figure format. If not, some may 3d print some custom.
Budget3Dworks did some 3D printable hands in the "cheese grater" style but I still want to do my own take on the hand plates some time soon. I will share obviously when I do. Still, I would love HT to do them just so it easier for everyone to have a sandie with "grater" hands.

Lets face it, nobody wants it to be based on the '77 prop....do they?

121.jpg

Lets face it, nobody wants it to be based on the '77 prop....do they?

121.jpg
That's how it looked in the UK, not in Tunisia. :dunno

I'd rather have a Dewback that is this basic design with tweaks (to make up for the budget constraints, rushed execution and failure of materials,) rather than the pretty major design re-do essentially all Dewback collectibles except the Kenner original have been.

Basically. a realistically rendered version of the brilliant Kenner Dewback, with a headsculpt (and saddle) that perfectly matches the prop.

This HT one looks pretty weird.

That's how it looked in the UK, not in Tunisia. :dunno

I'd rather have a Dewback that is this basic design with tweaks (to make up for the budget constraints, rushed execution and failure of materials,) rather than the pretty major design re-do essentially all Dewback collectibles except the Kenner original have been.

Basically. a realistically rendered version of the brilliant Kenner Dewback, with a headsculpt (and saddle) that perfectly matches the prop.

This HT one looks pretty weird.

They only took the head frill off and added fur. The proportions and legs are the same.

dewback.jpg

The photo was printed in some scholastic freebie paper/magazine that they handed out to all the kids in my 4th grade class a month or two before summer vacation started in June.

YES, YES! That's it! That's exactly what I saw. I thought it was many months before it released but maybe it was closer. Time seemed very long at that age.

I thought I was the only one. But the proportions look off. The SS just looks more balanced. In particular the shape of the head. The HT version looks too small and thin. The teethy smile also don't really help sell it to me. HT mid section also looks fat and lazy with the head not fitting proportionally.

Don't get me wrong I want one of these so bad, it's just aesthetically not 100% there for me. Maybe it's also that angled pic from below etched in my mind from childhood that makes me think the head should be larger ??

The saddle also looks way too long as well.

HT / SS comparison to show what I mean.

View attachment 650528

Sideshow for the win! :lecture

Why not have swap out legs so the prop guys can have their dewback and the special edition guys can have their dewback? It seems like that’s the only real change that is keeping these two camps apart. The head looks accurate except for the size and the legs look close enough to the CG it would pass so why not include both?

Oh wait. I forgot. This is hot toys and they will release a second dewback after selling this dewback for those that want the prop legs.

I would love it if they came up with an original solution on the figure (perhaps a new hip joint design) so that the trooper looked a bit more natural in the saddle and not so doll-like.
They should use kenners method and put in a drop hatch so the figures legs are inside the dewback and have a set of faux legs that are sculpted and designed to look like he is straddling the beast. Similar to what they did for the tauntaun.
IMG_4216.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4216.jpeg
    IMG_4216.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1
Don’t see how they make it that much better than the SS version…. Are there going to be more announcements tomorrow? If these three things are it kind of a major let down

Don’t see how they make it that much better than the SS version…. Are there going to be more announcements tomorrow? If these three things are it kind of a major let down

Think this might be it, the annual Animation-Comic-Game convention is coming up on July 28th in Hong Kong and during this, they'll reveal their summer exclusives, random pre-orders (OBK Vader went up randomly last year on Wednesday after being shown during the show), so wouldn't be surprised if they hold most of their new product for that.

Maybe they'll sneak in a new reveal or two tomorrow or Friday, but I doubt it.

Back