Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey potato, thanks for your input.
Do you have more info about this stuff?
How can this new pleather be distinguished from other kinds of pleather?
Do you think other 1/6 companies are using this high quality pleather, which according to what you say doesn't seem to be exclusively used by only one company?

The introduction of this material would amount to an important milestone in 1/6 history, since it would put an end to one of the most important figure durability problems (the other one being rubber usage). I wonder which figures might be sporting this new kind of pleather, and which ones don't, so that we should worry about the latter ones... Any idea anybody?

I also wonder why people like Hot Toys don't talk more about this stuf. It is if utmost importance to us customers.....

Regards,
m.

it's called composite leather, similar to those used in some higher end basketballs. they mix real leather with synthetic in order to attain a balance between Cost, Quality, Durability & Flexibility.

Hey potato, thanks for your input.
Do you have more info about this stuff?
How can this new pleather be distinguished from other kinds of pleather?
Do you think other 1/6 companies are using this high quality pleather, which according to what you say doesn't seem to be exclusively used by only one company?

The introduction of this material would amount to an important milestone in 1/6 history, since it would put an end to one of the most important figure durability problems (the other one being rubber usage). I wonder which figures might be sporting this new kind of pleather, and which ones don't, so that we should worry about the latter ones... Any idea anybody?

I also wonder why people like Hot Toys don't talk more about this stuf. It is if utmost importance to us customers.....

Regards,
m.

so far only Asmus declared what pleather they are using. composite leather has been around for ages but it's new for toys. Common places you can find them are Basketball, medium range Sofas & recliner chairs, and car seats.

for 1/6 scale it's difficult to get the thickness to scale but Asmus did it.

Medicom recently use an updated version of pleather but no information regarding whether it's full synthetic or composite.

Hot Toys either uses Synthetic Leather or Real Leather, but it's possible their real leather is actually composite since technically speaking composite leather contains Real Leather. lots of work to sand real leather into 1/6 thickness and QC would be an issue since real leather aren't identical and aren't perfect.

also for durability, earlier versions of pleather seems to hold up pretty well like those Nazi Trench Coats from Dragon. most of them are over 10 years. however they are thicker and has more rubber substance for better durability, like motorcycle seats.

the more you process pleathers to achieve real leather look at 1/6 scale, the less durable they are.

so far only Asmus declared what pleather they are using. composite leather has been around for ages but it's new for toys. Common places you can find them are Basketball, medium range Sofas & recliner chairs, and car seats.

for 1/6 scale it's difficult to get the thickness to scale but Asmus did it.

Medicom recently use an updated version of pleather but no information regarding whether it's full synthetic or composite.

Hot Toys either uses Synthetic Leather or Real Leather, but it's possible their real leather is actually composite since technically speaking composite leather contains Real Leather. lots of work to sand real leather into 1/6 thickness and QC would be an issue since real leather aren't identical and aren't perfect.

also for durability, earlier versions of pleather seems to hold up pretty well like those Nazi Trench Coats from Dragon. most of them are over 10 years. however they are thicker and has more rubber substance for better durability, like motorcycle seats.

the more you process pleathers to achieve real leather look at 1/6 scale, the less durable they are.

Thanks for that info, man.

Do you have any links for more info regarding that pleather vs synthetic vs real leather conundrum?

Is pleather actually sanded down? I have found nothing about that in here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_leather

Is Medicon still alive in the 1/6 arena? I wasn't aware. Though they were dead. What recent new Med figure do you refer to?

Thanks again,
m.

Thanks for that info, man.

Do you have any links for more info regarding that pleather vs synthetic vs real leather conundrum?

Is pleather actually sanded down? I have found nothing about that in here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_leather

Is Medicon still alive in the 1/6 arena? I wasn't aware. Though they were dead. What recent new Med figure do you refer to?

Thanks again,
m.

pleather are molded to be thin. real leather may need to be sanded down depending on the raw material they got.

not sure how composite leather works and how they mix real leather with pleather.

Medicom still active they focus more on japan heroes and some pop stars like daft punk. their latest Masked Rider RAH uses the new synthetic leather.

Does anyone have problems with Hot Toys Predator figures degrading over time? I know they have some pleather straps all over the body in places and the dreads are a rubber-like material so I was wondering if anyone has had problems with them. With how expensive Predator statues are nowadays, I was thinking of buying my one and only Hot Toy. But after hearing a lot of problems with pleather and rubber deteriorating over time, it's made me weary of buying one.

Does anyone have problems with Hot Toys Predator figures degrading over time? I know they have some pleather straps all over the body in places and the dreads are a rubber-like material so I was wondering if anyone has had problems with them. With how expensive Predator statues are nowadays, I was thinking of buying my one and only Hot Toy. But after hearing a lot of problems with pleather and rubber deteriorating over time, it's made me weary of buying one.

I can't say about the Preds, but if you are going to skip buying figures because of pleather and rubber... you are going to have a very small collection!!

pleather are molded to be thin. real leather may need to be sanded down depending on the raw material they got.

not sure how composite leather works and how they mix real leather with pleather.

Medicom still active they focus more on japan heroes and some pop stars like daft punk. their latest Masked Rider RAH uses the new synthetic leather.

OK buddy. Thanks!

I can't say about the Preds, but if you are going to skip buying figures because of pleather and rubber... you are going to have a very small collection!!

OK buddy. Thanks!

don't think so. many figs come with minimum pleather & rubber. most of the time you find pleather on the belts which is usually easy to replace with real leather.

Easy to replace with real leather?
I thought real leather was normally too thick.
Please explain.
Thanks,
m.
don't think so. many figs come with minimum pleather & rubber. most of the time you find pleather on the belts which is usually easy to replace with real leather.

Easy to replace with real leather?
I thought real leather was normally too thick.
Please explain.
Thanks,
m.

you can get real leather thin enough for 1/6. belts aren't that much of a problem with thickness. and if it's too thick, you can always sand it down the suede side.

i bought some scrap leather on ebay you just ask the seller for the thinnest leathers they have.

i've even made straps and gun holster out of them but since i can't sew i can only rely on leather glue to keep them in shape.

Man I wish I had your skill for this... I have a bunch of sheaths on my Predator figs that are falling apart...

Let's see: if you search for "scrap leather" (thanks for the keyword), thousands of results appear... any recommendation as to how to distinguish real good thin leather from fake? Any recommended types of material? Any sellers you trust? Do you only buy from USA sellers?

Any getting-started links as to how to sand down real leather? What kind of tools do you use for the sanding? What kind of glue do you prefer for this? Have you tried sewing leather? Is it so difficult?

Finally: can you provide any pics of your straps and holsters? I ask this because I am wondering just how realistic glued leather looks...

Thanks for your help mate. Let's see if I can learn a bit of this skill........ :-(
Best,
m.

you can get real leather thin enough for 1/6. belts aren't that much of a problem with thickness. and if it's too thick, you can always sand it down the suede side.

i bought some scrap leather on ebay you just ask the seller for the thinnest leathers they have.

i've even made straps and gun holster out of them but since i can't sew i can only rely on leather glue to keep them in shape.

Man I wish I had your skill for this... I have a bunch of sheaths on my Predator figs that are falling apart...

Let's see: if you search for "scrap leather" (thanks for the keyword), thousands of results appear... any recommendation as to how to distinguish real good thin leather from fake? Any recommended types of material? Any sellers you trust? Do you only buy from USA sellers?

Any getting-started links as to how to sand down real leather? What kind of tools do you use for the sanding? What kind of glue do you prefer for this? Have you tried sewing leather? Is it so difficult?

Finally: can you provide any pics of your straps and holsters? I ask this because I am wondering just how realistic glued leather looks...

Thanks for your help mate. Let's see if I can learn a bit of this skill........ :-(
Best,
m.

i used to buy from dc_leather. just send them an inquiry about the thinnest leather they carry. browse their listings to have an idea what each type of leather looks like especially the texture. i think goat or was it lamb skin is one of the softer leather.

you can tell real leather by looking at both sides of the piece. the front will well look like leather (unless it's a suede), the rear will look like suede (fabric feel). fake leathers rear look like leather or cloth/rubber. i wouldn't worry about buying scrap leather since it takes more effort to make fake leather look like scrap, i would worry more about fake leather when buying finished leather goods. but if you're talking about 1/6 stuffs 99% on ebay are pleather.

to thin down real leather just use sandpaper or something rough on the rear side. you can actually scrap off the rear using finger they feel abit like cotton. the front is quite elastic so don't worry much damaging the leather.

you can purchase leather tools on ebay cheap they come in sets. to cut leather you need leather cutting knife and "chop" them a steel ruler helps as a guide but leather flex so it's hard to get even cut thus sanding is required. the set comes with a tool for you to sand the leather.

for glue you know those yellow jelly looking glue? most will state if they are suitable for leathers. they don't stick ASAP so you have time to adjust.

for holster, i just wrap a piece of leather around for it to fit then trim it, sand it and glue it (with gun inside). make sure it has some space. once the glue is dry trim out the excess.

i can only do simple stuffs since i don't sew. i buy small silver buttons to add some details depending what you are doing.

IMG_6549.jpg

Wow.
That's what I call a primer! Thanks buddy!

1st pic : is that an older Max from Mad Max? Your parts are extremely thin btw! Good job!

2nd pic: there seems to be a problem with that pic. SSF does not serve it. It only returns this error message:

"vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Regarding the small buttons: heck, I need some of those for replacement. What's the right keyword to look for them on eBay??

Best,
m.

View attachment 416575

only the holster, shoulder belt & key ring. rest are ready made pleather parts as you can see they are slightly thicker than pleathers.

So you've had problems with some pleather parts of your Predator figures? May I ask which Predator figures and which sheaths are giving you trouble?

So you've had problems with some pleather parts of your Predator figures? May I ask which Predator figures and which sheaths are giving you trouble?

I bought both the Berserker and the Tracker used and both had deteriorated pleather parts. The straps especially were so bad that they broke. That’s why I got them cheap.
I have them boxed up right now, but I might be able to find some pictures.

I think potato has given us a means to fix those problems. Read his post and you'll see.

m.

I bought both the Berserker and the Tracker used and both had deteriorated pleather parts. The straps especially were so bad that they broke. That’s why I got them cheap.
I have them boxed up right now, but I might be able to find some pictures.

Thank you very much to both asgardianboy and slikkerias. Sorry to hear about the pleather issues though. I really appreciate the information.

Back