Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine has a 12 inch Mego Admiral Kirk from Star Trek the Motionless Picture.

He has kept it packaged since it was released, only taking it out of the box a few times. Despite this, the rubber head has turned green and is tacky to the touch.

So, if you want to keep your collectables nice forever the only solution is to sacrifice a virgin to appease the gods.

Suicide is never the answer.

btw I picked up insulating foam strips with adhesive backing and used it to seal off the glass top of my coffee table and will use it to also seal off the side panels I will make someday.
But for all Detolf owners I am thinking the same can be used to seal off the four gaps the door leaves open. If you place it in the right position these strips should help create a decent seal when the door is closed and be barely noticeable yet allow you access to the content when you need to :D

those who have the Rocky Hot Toys how is the rubber bodies like, are there any deterioration problems cracking for some o fyou?

My Rocky figs are still in great shape. I have them posed with the arms bent and they still feel solid. I have own them since late 2008. I do have them in a display case too.

My Rocky figs are still in great shape. I have them posed with the arms bent and they still feel solid. I have own them since late 2008. I do have them in a display case too.

thanks Firebird, I'm thinking of purchasing one on Ebay soon and just wanted to see how it's been standing up since released. would like to hear feedback from other members too thanks!

The glass of water and anti humidity bags, those work against eachother do they not? ;)

do what i did if your that worried and seal the detolf shut! i just placed cellotape along the gaps as neat and tidy as i could! it doesnt show up unless up close! i placed a cup of water in the detolf to keep up humidity and also placed a couple of those small hot toys white packages inside that say 'do not eat' as they supposedly suck up any moisture in the air! i cut 1 or 2 small holes in the cellotape to let in a tiny amount of air!

the results of this mean my shelfs take a couple of months for a tiny dust build up to oocur so i dont have to clean them every 3 weeks like when it wasnt sealed!
it also means i cant get to repose them as often as id like!:(

This tread got me worried. I'm going to built a nuclear, Dust-and-UV-free bomb shelter and keep all my collectibles in there.........once i get the money...

My rocky figures are fine too. I used to display my rocky 4 American trunks robe off , but out of fear of detoriation I now use the robe. My figures are mostly second hand and posed in pretty dynamic positions (especially creed) and they are all perfect. Also I own all ofthem minus street clubber. U should not have anything to worry about right now.

My rocky figures are fine too. I used to display my rocky 4 American trunks robe off , but out of fear of detoriation I now use the robe. My figures are mostly second hand and posed in pretty dynamic positions (especially creed) and they are all perfect. Also I own all ofthem minus street clubber. U should not have anything to worry about right now.

thanks Balsquat looks good so far, I'm just wondering why some figures made after the Rocky like Mars Attacks, Rambo have rubber deterioration but the Rocky is okay, are they the same materials?

All those Rocky figures still look really good, I thought, then I scrolled down to the Ivan Drago. Where they even trying? I dunno it hasn't aged well.

all my rocky figure are find, nothing to report on the rubber body

just awesome I am one jealous mutha! do you also have the Rocky IV one, that's the one I'd like to get first in my collection thanks lord!

so how come Rocky ones are fine but others have the rubber deterioration?

This reminds me of a friend of mine who didn't want to see his dog grow old. So he had the dog put down, stuffed it and now has it in the corner next to the fireplace.

If thats true... then he should have been put down. The dog would have had a nicer life without that clown. Be better of with somebody that would have really appreciated the dog. Such a waste of life.

He's had that stuffed dog 18 years now, and that dog hasn't aged a day in all that time.

Too sarcastic for my liking.

One of the creepiest things to do to a pet... LOL

It's freaking not right!

Hahahahahaha that guy is just awesome!! Amazing! thanks lejuan, this story made my day

Unacceptable.

You've got some screwy friends... ;)

Ain't that the truth.

I thought, then I scrolled down to the Ivan Drago. Where they even trying? I dunno it hasn't aged well.

Those men that dress up as girls? It looks like it's going to blow a kiss. ¬_¬

The Carl Weathers one looks fantastic though.

btw I picked up insulating foam strips with adhesive backing and used it to seal off the glass top of my coffee table and will use it to also seal off the side panels I will make someday.
But for all Detolf owners I am thinking the same can be used to seal off the four gaps the door leaves open. If you place it in the right position these strips should help create a decent seal when the door is closed and be barely noticeable yet allow you access to the content when you need to :D

I've heard of this done before. You can get weatherstipping and put it around cabinet doors and place it so it is hidden well. I'm surprised at how much dust can get into a "sealed" curio; some are worse than others.

For the dust issue, Ive been thinking of buying one of those Air Purifiers...Dont know how much of the actual dust it will take care of, but cant hurt...

As for plastics and rubber parts and whatnot deteriorating over time...Well, look at the old GI Joe figures from the early 70's...Granted, they are made of plastic, not rubber...But they do have rubber parts inside for the joints...And glued on fuzzy hair...And most of these things have gotten played with, passed around, thrown in boxes, etc., etc...And while some have shown signs of wear and tear, others have survived very well...I have a few that damn near look brand new to this day...And they werent kept in boxes their whole lives...Or sealed in cases...

So, while the rubber body argument may still be under scrutiny, I agree with what was said earlier...Dont freak over your figures...Enjoy them...Because it's true, if you stress over all thats been said here too much, you will live to hate this hobby....

Matt

A good solution like they said is dont pose them on many dynamic poses, keep them on the display cabinets or the boxes and thats it, I have 3 rubber figures and the Ed209, the both rockys are ok, as well as batman begins oc, and the only onde deteriorateing is Ed209, but not that much!!

Another "rubber" example I have is, again, from the old 70's GI Joe....If anyone remembers the Training Tower that came out back then, it came with a large, rubber snake...I have one of those snakes and it is fine...No melt marks...Hasnt deteriorated...and its been around for almost 40 yrs...And Im sure, in that time, it got played with and moved around from one place to another....

Matt

Back