Hot Toys Rogue One Vader MMS388

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_8474.JPG

Just took him out of the box. Have not futzed anything yet. He's an incredible figure. Very imposing in person. And I just say, the background is very cheaply made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got this for parts for the ANH Vader (namely gloves, but wanted to check out other parts).

Haven't seen this mentioned but the suit seems too baggy in the legs and the material is far stiffer and shinier than the ANH suit, so it accentuates it a bit.

I like that they got rid of the stumpy looking legs but It looks like the suit was still tailored for a thicker body. Will have to play with it for a while to figure out what the best parts combo is. Gloves look nice on the ANH figure but it causes the suit to bunch up in the arms as others have mentioned.

Nice pics Guyver... Nice to see all the steps. But you went through all that just to put his shoulder armor on wrong all over again and over the tunic!!! :gah:

:rotfl ..... Just Joking of course.... It's however you like it. I for one do prefer the ANH look with it under the tunic and was glad to see Disney fix it in RO after the promo pics were released.

This one times a million. SS has a very inaccurate helmet sculpt, cheap body and is just bizarre looking compared to HT. I have both and the SS one is back in the box and ready to sell. It's not even close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big reason Im on the fence, thr RO figure is $419 at my local shop and the SS one is 120 cheaper.. Worth the extra money?

thsk for the breakdown guyver! as someone new to 1/6 i would be scared to do sumthin like that to my own figure yet but its extremely helpful to see it done, cheers. :clap

nice jffhdgs345 ! thats the exact same pose i have mine in since his arrival(your first pic). gonna change it soon but do enjoy that pose to me is the krennic is gettin schooled pose. loved that scene, casual back turned force choke ftw!

No thats Canadian. Whats pissing me off is the SS Vader and this HT one are same base price USD... but 100+ price difference is whats got me considering the SS. Even with having a bunch of credit to the store.

No thats Canadian. Whats pissing me off is the SS Vader and this HT one are same base price USD... but 100+ price difference is whats got me considering the SS. Even with having a bunch of credit to the store.

Honestly, I don't think the SSC is worth it. I'd spring for the HT. It's just a better figure overall. You may ask "$100+ better?" -- only you can make that call, but if you're going to drop that much cash on a collectible doll, why do it halfway? The HT quality will be better and the mask is more accurate.

Honestly, I don't think the SSC is worth it. I'd spring for the HT. It's just a better figure overall. You may ask "$100+ better?" -- only you can make that call, but if you're going to drop that much cash on a collectible doll, why do it halfway? The HT quality will be better and the mask is more accurate.
I'd agree it might be a toss up for dx ss and this maybe... But the new ss? No thanks. I own dx and I'm getting rogue one on Sunday. I can pose ss without the mask and ro with it.
Another note imo the new rogue one got the mask the best hard to explain but its apparently accurate and no modding. People spend 100's of dollars in making the perfect vader for 416.00 you can get pretty dam close.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I'd agree it might be a toss up for dx ss and this maybe... But the new ss? No thanks. I own dx and I'm getting rogue one on Sunday. I can pose ss without the mask and ro with it.
Another note imo the new rogue one got the mask the best hard to explain but its apparently accurate and no modding. People spend 100's of dollars in making the perfect vader for 416.00 you can get pretty dam close.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

The nose plug is still a bit too far forward but honestly it's an excellent sculpt.

Nice pics Guyver... Nice to see all the steps. But you went through all that just to put his shoulder armor on wrong all over again and over the tunic!!! :gah:

:rotfl ..... Just Joking of course.... It's however you like it. I for one do prefer the ANH look with it under the tunic and was glad to see Disney fix it in RO after the promo pics were released.

:lol IKR what was I thinking. TBH though I was curious and I felt certain pieces weren't sitting right on mine no matter how much I futzed with it. So I was relieved that some of the velcro closings on each fat suit was crooked so stripping it bare and starting from scratch allowed me fasten the fat suits better so they balanced better on the body IMO. It also allowed me to straighten out the boots and how the pegs of the foot sat on them. Now everything seems more in sync IMO.

I like the armor over the tunic. Every pic I've seen depicting Vader I guess artists, photographers, etc feel that's the best way to show Vader. Plus I think this figure gives more presence with the tunic under. The beauty of this piece is I can switch it around at any point.

Big reason Im on the fence, thr RO figure is $419 at my local shop and the SS one is 120 cheaper.. Worth the extra money?

The HT is better just based on the Helmet sculpt alone, the SS version just looks totally wrong. I never even considered the SS version when it came out because of the helmet.

Picked this guy up to check some combinations, worth it for the gloves alone but I think they did a slightly better job on the nose plug (even though it still needs to be recessed a bit more) so I may prefer the helmet on this one too. One thing I find a bit problematic is the transition from the abdomen to the thighs on the RO figure.

This combo looks nice, but I still have a problem with ANH Vader's stumpy legs:
- RO helmet, belt/boxes, gloves
- ANH everything else

DSC_0453.jpg

Another combination here that looked good:

- ANH chest box, cod piece
- RO everything else

DSC_0431.jpg

Picked this guy up to check some combinations, worth it for the gloves alone but I think they did a slightly better job on the nose plug (even though it still needs to be recessed a bit more) so I may prefer the helmet on this one too. One thing I find a bit problematic is the transition from the abdomen to the thighs on the RO figure.

This combo looks nice, but I still have a problem with ANH Vader's stumpy legs:
- RO helmet, belt/boxes, gloves
- ANH everything else

View attachment 314219

Another combination here that looked good:

- ANH chest box, cod piece
- RO everything else

View attachment 314220

Nice combo TonTon but..I just feel like the RO helmet doesn't quite match ANH body..maybe it is a different body than RO

The RO body looks better with the RO helmet in the second shot

Can you show me a pic of the ANH stumpy legs?

The helmets are basically the same aside from the finish, though there are some small differences in the face mask. I know Hot Toys claimed this was the case but they looked so similar I sort of didn't believe them. The only clear difference I've noticed is there's a clear line under the eyes on the RO helmet whereas it tapers on the ANH version as it gets toward the nose. That and it seems they managed to reduce that fox-like look that the ANH Vader helmet had from some above angles--not sure if that's just the angle of the dome to the mask, some minor structural change, or just a trick due to the paint.

It seems like they made a concerted effort to adjust some of the complaints of the ANH version (gloves, less fat looking, got rid of the electronics, adjustment on the helmet, improved the robes), but it's not still not quite there yet for me. Not crazy about the ROTS looking saber either.

Back