Hot Toys Rogue One - Jyn Erso (Imperial Disguise Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of these things aren't what I would classify as overthinking. For me a lot comes down to aesthetics and what jumps out at me on initial viewing. As I said they did a lot right but then undercut it with a lot of questionable choices. Still view it as a successful addition to the franchise.

this movie is a masterpiece compared to 7. just saying.

this movie is a masterpiece compared to 7. just saying.

Agreed, but I wouldn't say the bar was set too high on VII.

RO had it easier though - VII had to move into uncharted territory and set a new course, whereas RO is contained/set inside ANH and the OT (the true reason fans love RO, and would prefer a ESB "hard prequel" like RO was to ANH, or more standalones set inside the OT, to more ST movies.) So a lot of the heavy lifting design and story wise was done for RO.

Agreed, but I wouldn't say the bar was set too high on VII.

RO had it easier though - VII had to move into uncharted territory and set a new course, whereas RO is contained/set inside ANH and the OT (the true reason fans love RO, and would prefer a ESB "hard prequel" like RO was to ANH, or more standalones set inside the OT, to more ST movies.) So a lot of the heavy lifting design and story wise was done for RO.

true but 7 didnt even try and move into uncharted territory or set a new course, it played it so safe they ended up badly copying the ot to the point where it was an unrecognizable jar jar Abrams abomination. i could go on about plot holes, bad acting, using coincidence to string literally every event in the movie together, lack of respect for established physics, etc. but i would probably be typing for well over a week.

I have a lot of respect for rogue one. they got me to like the main cast without having half a dozen unnecessary hugging scenes, trying to convince me people are best friends because the dialogue was garbage and they knew it. I liked that they gave some validity to the entire series about how stupidly easy its always been to destroy a deathstar. I also liked that they had the balls to actually kill off everyone, (I assumed most if not all of them would die, but todays movies you never know what stupid decision theyll make.) And I liked that they didnt force some romance between jyn and cassian at the end, which was shocking to me since i cant even go see a Jurassic park movie without an unnecessary romance thrown in there just because.)

I am feeling a bit over Jyn'd on with this realease.....

So many other SW characters they could be doing rather than another Jyn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

true but 7 didnt even try and move into uncharted territory or set a new course, it played it so safe they ended up badly copying the ot to the point where it was an unrecognizable jar jar Abrams abomination. i could go on about plot holes, bad acting, using coincidence to string literally every event in the movie together, lack of respect for established physics, etc. but i would probably be typing for well over a week.
In my opinion it was smart to play it safe with The Force Awakens. The film was tasked with rejuvenating the franchise for disgruntled fans of the Prequel Trilogy and also needed to draw in new fans. In my opinion it does a good job with both of those things. Going forward I think we'll see more chances taken (seems pretty evident already from the teaser for The Last Jedi). I would say Abrams did a decent job overall. Yeah he didn't revolutionize anything but he told a fun Star Wars story and washed the bad taste out left by George Lucas and the prequels.

In my opinion it was smart to play it safe with The Force Awakens. The film was tasked with rejuvenating the franchise for disgruntled fans of the Prequel Trilogy and also needed to draw in new fans. In my opinion it does a good job with both of those things. Going forward I think we'll see more chances taken (seems pretty evident already from the teaser for The Last Jedi). I would say Abrams did a decent job overall. Yeah he didn't revolutionize anything but he told a fun Star Wars story and washed the bad taste out left by George Lucas and the prequels.

:goodpost:

And I liked that they didnt force some romance between jyn and cassian at the end, which was shocking to me since i cant even go see a Jurassic park movie without an unnecessary romance thrown in there just because.)
I was totally shocked that we did not have the typical stupid forced romance in this movie. You go see Captain America civil war you end up with a forced kissing scene that made no sense and was completely unnecessary.

I was totally shocked that we did not have the typical stupid forced romance in this movie. You go see Captain America civil war you end up with a forced kissing scene that made no sense and was completely unnecessary.

It didn't feel forced at all in CA:CW. The attraction was there from the movie Winter Soldier. Plus the lead up to the kiss was all there in CW. Not to mention they're actually a couple in the comic history.

It didn't feel forced at all in CA:CW. The attraction was there from the movie Winter Soldier. Plus the lead up to the kiss was all there in CW. Not to mention they're actually a couple in the comic history.

and it was funny when they cut to bucky and sam smiling after the kiss. I agree that was one kiss that did not feel forced as it had been growing over a couple movies.

I have a lot of respect for rogue one. they got me to like the main cast without having half a dozen unnecessary hugging scenes, trying to convince me people are best friends because the dialogue was garbage and they knew it. I liked that they gave some validity to the entire series about how stupidly easy its always been to destroy a deathstar. I also liked that they had the balls to actually kill off everyone, (I assumed most if not all of them would die, but todays movies you never know what stupid decision theyll make.) And I liked that they didnt force some romance between jyn and cassian at the end, which was shocking to me since i cant even go see a Jurassic park movie without an unnecessary romance thrown in there just because.)

Good posting. So many people are critical of the prequel trilogy, but give episode 7 a pass. It was just lazy writing. typical for JJ. I did not like the Star Trek reboots either. I mean, Hey Kirk did not even finish the Academy, but lets make him a Star Ship Captain. Rey doesn't want anything to do with the force, but hey, she can suddenly do Jedi Mind tricks and duel with a light saber. It just cheapens everything that came before it. It was a cheap rehash on themes and ideas from the OT. I really did not feel any of that with RO. It was not perfect, but it was a lot better. It captured my attention and I actually felt like I was watching a Star Wars film and not some lame, insulting attempt to revitalize the Star Wars franchise.

and it was funny when they cut to bucky and sam smiling after the kiss. I agree that was one kiss that did not feel forced as it had been growing over a couple movies.

I really did like their flirtatious "first encounter" in Winter Soldier. :yess:

Fwiw, I don't think it's fair to compare RO to TFA. TFA was tasked with moving "the force" story forward with a lot of moving pieces without a clear understanding of what it's leading to. There would've been no way to make all SW fans happy. And for all we know, TFA could simply be the groundwork for what we may think is the best trilogy in the distant future. People come in to the movie with their own wants and desires steered by their own emotional connection with SW.

RO had the benefit of being able to tell a boots on the ground war story without having to fiddle with the force. It also had the benefit of adding clarity and weight to ANH, making you realize that something as simple as having the plans to the Death Star actually took a lot of sacrifice (the ultimate one in fact) by individuals who were supposed to have no chance at completing their mission. "No further than 33% before being killed," if I'm quoting K correctly. With RO, all our expectations were the same. They get the plans, period. The intrigue came with the how.

Fwiw, I don't think it's fair to compare RO to TFA. TFA was tasked with moving "the force" story forward with a lot of moving pieces without a clear understanding of what it's leading to. There would've been no way to make all SW fans happy. And for all we know, TFA could simply be the groundwork for what we may think is the best trilogy in the distant future. People come in to the movie with their own wants and desires steered by their own emotional connection with SW.

RO had the benefit of being able to tell a boots on the ground war story without having to fiddle with the force. It also had the benefit of adding clarity and weight to ANH, making you realize that something as simple as having the plans to the Death Star actually took a lot of sacrifice (the ultimate one in fact) by individuals who were supposed to have no chance at completing their mission. "No further than 33% before being killed," if I'm quoting K correctly. With RO, all our expectations were the same. They get the plans, period. The intrigue came with the how.

Good point regarding the ground work by TFA.
I still cannot give a definitive answer of how I fully rate the film as it left far too many unanswered questions.
Empire was not as revered at the time of release as it is now.

Perhaps the next 2 films will elevate TFA should they complete a compelling arc.

Regarding the figures I have been happy to add the Finn, Flametrooper and Tie pilot for close to half price.

I had hoped to be as lucky with a couple of RO figures but looks like I will be paying full market price. Though with so many superb OT figures coming it will be necessary to leave some off the want list.

Just saw this figure on display at Celebration and it is stunning in person!

Like I said I'm not going to get crazy into it, especially at this point, most people are going to be set in their ways for any number of reasons. Whether it's nostalgia, loyalty to the brand, collecting prospects etc. Here's a video I came across last night which is very good. He pretty much sums up how I felt about the movie since my first viewing. Mind you, I saw sw7 four times trying to convince myself it was good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=LLscgkmoq7M96cP4mbzroQUQ&v=FNAy7yCMyBw

This isn't a troll, but in my honest opinion, any casual fan is going to almost always assume this movie is better than the prequels because of how much they disappointed back then and all the years of backlash they got from fans. I mean, how could anything be worse right? Well it happened.

I also disagree that this film was difficult to rejuvenate the franchise. Seriously, who wasn't going to see a new star wars film? Let's be honest. There was no reason it needed to tie in this closely with the other 6 films, they literally could have done anything going forward. It was a play it safe cash grab that was poorly written, with some nostalgia thrown in to mask the smell.

Check this one out also if you feel like it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=LLscgkmoq7M96cP4mbzroQUQ&v=2qLXcl5uCK0

I think there is a more suitable place for this post. Maybe in the TFA/movies section? :dunno

Like I said I'm not going to get crazy into it, especially at this point, most people are going to be set in their ways for any number of reasons. Whether it's nostalgia, loyalty to the brand, collecting prospects etc. Here's a video I came across last night which is very good. He pretty much sums up how I felt about the movie since my first viewing. Mind you, I saw sw7 four times trying to convince myself it was good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=LLscgkmoq7M96cP4mbzroQUQ&v=FNAy7yCMyBw

This isn't a troll, but in my honest opinion, any casual fan is going to almost always assume this movie is better than the prequels because of how much they disappointed back then and all the years of backlash they got from fans. I mean, how could anything be worse right? Well it happened.

I also disagree that this film was difficult to rejuvenate the franchise. Seriously, who wasn't going to see a new star wars film? Let's be honest. There was no reason it needed to tie in this closely with the other 6 films, they literally could have done anything going forward. It was a play it safe cash grab that was poorly written, with some nostalgia thrown in to mask the smell.

Check this one out also if you feel like it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=LLscgkmoq7M96cP4mbzroQUQ&v=2qLXcl5uCK0

This is what is funny about SW movies:

1. They rely much more excessively on extreme repeat viewings for box office than most movies do. I don't mean a couple of kids going back to see Spiderman a second or maybe even third time. I mean probably over half of the box office of any SW movie in the past 20 years has been major fans (not kids or teens; usually older - 25-50) who saw it 5+ times, and genuinely surprising number who see it more like 10+ times - really almost like obsessive-compulsive behavior. "Trekkies" used to get the geek-overkill nods in the 80's and 90's, but "Star-Warzies" certainly rule these days.

2. There is a hypnotic delusion that sets in with new SW films after the massive euphoria of seeing it; an explosive psychological release of the anticipation coupled with an confused avalanche of nostalgia that gives the impression (that lasts over a year) that what they just saw is the very best SW film ever made, and will be remembered as such. RO is currently in that phase. TFA has passed that phase.

3. While it's taken many films to figure it out, it's now clear that SW's appeal is solely based on nostalgia, not new directions or material. The more nostalgia - in design, character journey, story; an "incestuous" relation to the OT - the better. RO succeeds because it's the first new film to be wholly/incestuously set inside an OT film, and likely more will come based on that model. The hard prequel to ESB (set the same week as ESB ) is what fans want more than Ray and whats-his-name-filling-TRU/Sideshow-bargain-bins, though they'll take those ST films so long as they trade in enough black-on-white instead of white-on-black TIE fighters, "planet-sized weapons that are the death star but NOT the death star" and the voted-most-unlikely-to-be-a-Skywalker-jedi Skywalker Jedis on their myth journey.

It was forced. No one in real does that. People don't just start kissng their friends for the first time when they are with company like that.

It was forced. No one in real does that. People don't just start kissng their friends for the first time when they are with company like that.

I'm no relationship expert but I agree it didn't seem out of place in the context of the two movies. It was part of Steve's character to always be "late" with women and always hesitating to make a move. And they were in the part of the movie where they knew they wouldn't be winning that upcoming battle. I had no problems with it's placement in the movie and everything felt natural to me.

Back