Hot Toys Quality Control: Whats Goin On?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though I say I will take a break from this thread for a while but that post is very offensive, especially because I am Chinese and Howard actually speaks decent English. It's only in American movies that Chinese speaks English like that. We surely do not sound like that in real life. (I was told by Americans that I speak American bettter than some American).

I will clarify the sculpt approval process. Mind you this is not just how HT does thing but a common process with licensing.

HT will produced a sculpt and then send it in for approval. Mind you this is not a one sided process. The licensor will then get back to HT with what might needs to be changed. This might sometimes take only one revision to get done and this might sometimes take a few revisions. The Godfather sculpt actually gone through like eight revisions. Alice five. Tony Stark four. Thriller Michael was a victim with a not as good smiling sculpt. Bottomline, HT NEVER gets final approval on the sculpt.

I still remember a story my boss told me regarding EB Mr.Bean. That was delayed because Rowan Atkinson requested that his sculpt be made younger because he felt that the initial sculpt was too old.

It is basically very common for an artist to want a more idealized version of themselves. Maybe it's vanity, maybe it's something else, I am not sure.

I mean, HT will try their best to sculpt a likeness but we don't know what revision that was requested in between submission to approval.

Sorry Noisetrigger, nobody is to know on a faceless forum whether I'm Asian or not. My family hails from Hong Kong and was washed away into the Pacific when they picked the wrong side during the revolution. No offence meant, and I've edited my post. But I gotta correct you Noisetrigger, half my family talks like that :lol

p.s. Devil_666 did the same thing with the stereotypical accent in the Superman thread and I don't recall him copping your sanctimony Evil :wink1:

Last edited:
I think Devil 666 has been banned Lejuan. :(
I agree with you mate, I'm Irish and I never get offended by Leprechaun accents, infact I do it myself.

What makes something racist is the intent, not the words IMO.
It is obvious to anyone reading this that your post was light hearted..

However, I suspect a few people would LOVE to get this thread closed..

Even though I say I will take a break from this thread for a while but that post is very offensive, especially because I am Chinese and Howard actually speaks decent English. It's only in American movies that Chinese speaks English like that. We surely do not sound like that in real life. (I was told by Americans that I speak American bettter than some American).

I will clarify the sculpt approval process. Mind you this is not just how HT does thing but a common process with licensing.

HT will produced a sculpt and then send it in for approval. Mind you this is not a one sided process. The licensor will then get back to HT with what might needs to be changed. This might sometimes take only one revision to get done and this might sometimes take a few revisions. The Godfather sculpt actually gone through like eight revisions. Alice five. Tony Stark four. Thriller Michael was a victim with a not as good smiling sculpt. Bottomline, HT NEVER gets final approval on the sculpt.

I still remember a story my boss told me regarding EB Mr.Bean. That was delayed because Rowan Atkinson requested that his sculpt be made younger because he felt that the initial sculpt was too old.

It is basically very common for an artist to want a more idealized version of themselves. Maybe it's vanity, maybe it's something else, I am not sure.

I mean, HT will try their best to sculpt a likeness but we don't know what revision that was requested in between submission to approval.

Again, like I said, I'm sure there are great sculpts ruined by licensing.
But you told everyone to get it through their thick heads that sculpts are to be blamed on the film company and it is not Hot Toys fault so they shouldn't take any criticism.

That doesn't at all take into account instances where Hot Toys submits a sculpt that isn't that good and it gets approved. It is Hot Toys work.

You seem to believe because someone else does the final tick off that all responsibility is then taken off Hot Toys (or any other companies) shoulders. Are you confusing legal liability with producing a quality product to an expected standard?

So Mr Bean wanted to be younger. Some actors are vain, sure.
Did Harrison Ford demand an uglier version of the real thing?
....well he might have when he was baked. I can see that :rotfl

Maybe the voodoo doll in Temple of Doom really did leave some mental scars and he wanted to make sure that the final sculpt wasn't actually him?

I think Devil 666 has been banned Lejuan. :(
I agree with you mate, I'm Irish and I never get offended by Leprechaun accents, infact I do it myself.

What makes something racist is the intent, not the words IMO.
It is obvious to anyone reading this that your post was light hearted..

However, I suspect a few people would LOVE to get this thread closed..

I hear ya, back on topic. Whatever the sculpt approval process, I don't accept that the Indy sculpt - which is the one we're talking about mostly - was the result of the license holders selecting a less perfect one over a better one. I just think Kim didn't do as good a job on it as he did on Reeve. Point being, I highly doubt HT went into Lucas/Spielberg's tent with a perfect likeness of Ford that ended up being knocked back in favour of the one we got.

Atkinson wanted to be younger, fair enough - we still got a stellar bean sculpt. Depp didn't like the toothy grin, fair enough - we still got a great smiling Jack sculpt. Ford... meh.

It's possible. Andy Bergholtz sculpted a dead on SLJ as Mace and a killer Bespin Luke and Lucas made SS change it.

But I think it was just Kim this time.

Someone in a company once approved this product

punisher-crotch-gun-3-thumb-330x563-47003.jpg

EXCELLENT POST! I've always said that the forum complainers are just a small percentage of the total number of people who are HT (or SSC) customers.

And a dealer can actually quantify how buyers are "happy" by the number of returns they have - 2.5% seems pretty reasonable return rate in any industry.

I have somewhere on the order of 200 HT figures and have had perhaps 3 with any kind of problem (including the oily Bats, which really was a very, very minor issue with mine).

At one point, I would have had that many if I kept on collecting them without getting rid of some as I went along. I guess I have just been unlucky along the way... :rolleyes: With my Dutch figure, the knife won't go into his sheath. With my Alien Warrior, he won't even stand and has to be propped up. With my Rambo 2, the muscle body is starting to split and the left hand has changed colors (I haven't even moved his arms mind you). With my Batman/Wayne figure, the left boot won't go on at all. With my Iron Man Mark III, non of the lights work even when the battery has been replaced. My Spiderman's webbing started pealing off. I can go on and on if you like. These are some of the major ones not counting some with sloppy paint, PERS eyes not lining up properly, seams coming undone or not straight, etc. I started out trying to contact Hot Toys directly through their customer service, and nothing ever got resolved. I now buy from vendors I know and just have them handle it through exchanges. I no longer buy these things off of eBay due to QC issues. It's a fun hobby but I have to admit that it's not as fun as it use to be. The Indiana Jones is the first figure that has brought back that old excitement that I use to get whenever I got a new release. I just hope Hot Toys steps it up in the future. If you want to believe those made up statistics, then that's up to you but I believe it's more in the neighborhood of 10 to 15% (and that's being generous). I actually wonder how many of the problems get reported or if people even just try and fix them themselves. I do know that in years past, I had less trouble with Sideshow and Hasbro. Enterbay and Hot Toys seem to always have something from the very minor to the very major in terms of issues. That's just my opinion :)

Back