Hot toys pumping out figures too fast?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbl

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi fellow freakz,

I jusr wanted to know. Do you you guys also think hot toys are pumping these figures out too fast?

With rising prices both on release and aftermarket it's hard to keep up. I really wanted the episode 7 figures, but will skip on all of them due the money i have spend on them in a short time. If i get one, i want them all.

I wonder if hot toys will deem the star wars line succesfull? I can't imagine every figure selling out this way. They should lower their prices, make triple sales and earn about the same money.

Best,

Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. They could get away with dropping the prices a bit and selling more since they're releasing these quicker than usual but we all know that won't happen.

Star Wars is a juggernaut and with TFA drawing in more, newer and younger fans I wouldn't be surprised if they all don't sell well regardless.

As far as the OT releases go, for me, the quicker the better. :D

The prices are to high for a good looking Canadian boy like me to even allow myself to consider collecting TFA HT products. Even the OT are extreme calculated purchases. And they have to be the Best of the Best. In 2015 I purchased three HT figures BD Robocop, Chewcacca and Sandtrooper. I think 2015 best of the best were purchased!! :hi5:

That's why some kind of a collecting focus might help considering our limited budget and display space.

The Star Wars OT line would be torture for me if I were in any way temped by it. There's too many figures actually coming out, too many that could come out and all at Hot Toys usual prices. And that's before you even get to obscure characters, vehicles and dioramas. Just no chance for someone like me. You have to be pretty wealthy to collect it, some of you no doubt are and well done.

Same goes for the MCU stuff.

I'm fortunate to have such apparently niche movie-collecting interests.

Not too fast, just too expensive. There is really very little to justify the huge price jumps we've seen in recent years.

Sean

I have three SW figures arriving within one week of each other; I am gonna say, 'oh yeah' on this one....

:lol I've got Vader and Farm boy Luke coming next week and probably a TFA trooper too. I feel your pain. Fortunately I don't need everything OT that HT is pumping out...just almost everything. :D

I passed on SpacePooper and Stormie Luke. I just would love to see a Tarkin figure soon.

You have to be pretty wealthy to collect it, some of you no doubt are and well done.

At today's prices I am so surprised at people who actually pay for HT releases like Shadow Trooper and Space Trooper. And even more at those who even considered Chocolate Trooper.

I'm OK with the pace now because I'm only interested in the OT and even there am tightening my focus (for example, I cancelled R5 and 2 Jawa sets). Vader charges today and after that I have only Luke and Leia to go (both should be done in January). At the moment HT's focus is TFA, so we may not see any OT POs for months. Even if something is announced tomorrow, it's about a year to delivery nowadays so I'll be getting a nice break.

If I were interested in TFA, then yeah, I'd agree the pace is unsustainable and regardless of how much money one earns, I'd have a tough time rationalizing sinking that much cash and space into what amounts to a brand new property. Luckily for me I feel the designs are all a step down from the OT (one exception: new TIE Fighter Pilot) and most importantly, there is no emotional connection to them or nostalgia. Watching the movie the other night I felt absolutely nothing for the designs and no temptation at all to see them represented in my humble collection.

I am looking at what I have so far (from all properties - primarily Star Wars but also Terminator, RoboCop, LotR and Marvel) and seeing if I can part with anything to keep things tight and because I know there will be several must-haves coming (Emperor, Han in Carbonite, etc.). So it is tough to manage in some respects but can be done with a little effort.

Last edited:
Personally I think that they both release things too fast, and are also pricing them way too high. If you don't have at least 500$ extra each month, then I don't see how anybody can keep up with them. I, a college student in Greece certainly can't, so I came up with a few rules:

1) No "double figs": Meaning, if I get Batman, I won't get JL Batman with slightly longer ears and a darker shade of grey. I'll only get a double character if I have extra cash and the newer version is drastically different.

2) "If you start it, you've got to finish it": I can't just buy Han Solo and Luke, I have to complete the whole OT "team". But, since I don't care for Old Ben Kenobi or Leia, I won't commit to buying these figures.

3) No things that just look cool: I love Robocop's look, or the T-800's leathers, but I don't have any attachment to the characters, so they're a no-no for me. No John Matrix, no Ripley, none of that. I'm mostly a comics person.

And so, I've decided that I will collect only these things from now on:

1) Star Wars: Only the Sith Lords/Bad Guys. I was never a big Jedi fan, so this helps me a lot. Since I only have to get Boba, Vader and Kylo as of now.

2) Marvel: Only 5 or so characters I love (like Deadpool, Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Moon Knight and Ghost Rider if they ever get movies) and most of Spider-Man's villains. So, that means that I'll not be getting any GotG or Avengers or anything like that. I didn't grow up with any of them (I've gone back and read most of their stories, but I have no attachment to them), so I don't see the point in collecting them.

3) DC: My "main" line. I won't be bying anything and everything, but that's where I'll be giving my cash. I'll try and assemble a Justice League, gather most Batman Villains, all of the good stuff. I grew up with the JL series, so that's what's nostalgia for me. I still won't get double figures, but I'll try to at least get one fig per character.

See, I used to collect minimates, mostly Marvel, and I caught myself spending 200$ on small figures, every 3 months or so. Thefore, I think that this "line" is a breath of fresh air for me, so I'll try to stay away from Marvel. But yeah, HT is going nuts with the release and pricing.

It is all too fast and too much for me. My disposable income isn't quite what others in here have so i really have to watch what i get. My interests vary from figures, to statues, to LEGO, to prop replicas, to movies, to games, etc....I need to spread the money around so i can only buy so many Hot Toys at a time. Good thing is i don't have a completionism mind set. Right now i only have Rey and BB8 on order from Force Awakens and I'm fine with that. Only other character worth getting would be an old Han and a Kylo Ren imo.

The trouble is that HT are playing catch up. They're trying to do two things at the same time - releasing TFA figures and releasing OT figures. We've essentially had three years worth of figures in 12 months.

Fortunately TFA didn't really provide many characters worthy of 12 inch figures beyond the troopers, and according the the rumours there are only 4 OT figures left from the original plans.

2016 will be a lot calmer.

Yeah, you need to keep your wits about you or else you get caught in the rush. I had to refine my collecting (and it is damn hard to pass on things as my OCD Completist kicks in) to 1/4 Iron Man, (3) Batman from BvS (as long as finished product turns out well), and maybe 1 or 2 from TFA.....But believe me I want all SW: TFA (especially the 2 pack with Fin and the Riot Trooper). Difficult to pass on them. But you soon realize too many figures takes up time, space, money. Since I have streamlined to a very few specific (like darthkostis) i think I enjoy them more...Then I just live vicariously through the collectors here....

I'm okay at the moment because most of the Original Trilogy items I have on pre-order will be arriving soon and are about paid off. For The Force Awakens I'm only going to get the main characters and not many (if any) Troopers.

They need catch up a movie release. Marvel seems kind of worse, they desperately need catch up everything and entire Avenger team.

Actually its not bad thing, more option is better. The problem is they are not cheap toys like hasbro or black series. So I need to become more selective, I am already give up with MCU. Too many release in short time, no definitive design. Also I am not that wealth and need hold up my urge to bite a bullet

I'm for as many figures as they want to pump out as long as their quality remains the same. Seeing the price of the Finn 2-pack, seems like the massive quantity of figures might help with keeping the costs down.

The Star Wars OT line would be torture for me if I were in any way temped by it. There's too many figures actually coming out, too many that could come out and all at Hot Toys usual prices. And that's before you even get to obscure characters, vehicles and dioramas. Just no chance for someone like me. You have to be pretty wealthy to collect it, some of you no doubt are and well done.

Same goes for the MCU stuff.

I'm fortunate to have such apparently niche movie-collecting interests.
Luckily for you they're throwing up a T-figure every two years. :lol

It can't be that hard to wait it out and let the prices dip on the aftermarket like they always do. The market will be flooded with SW crap if it isn't already.

Back